Music, Art, aroma, and creativity are healing. Proven by science. Cooking supports the healing process, through nutrition, and creativity
Chicken, and Brown Rice
Chicken, and rice ready in 30 minutes. This recipe has been handed down to me by my Mother. Savory, and filling for weeknights, or when there isn't time to cook. Brown rice, is far better than white rice. It is a good source of fiber, that will keep you fuller for longer. Brown rice will help to maintain weight, or help in weight loss goals. Substitute whole grains, for white bread, pasta, and flours in many recipes you already use. It also contains Tryptophan, a calming amino acid, and sage, calming spice, after a stressful day.
Other variations, and add ins can include peppers, onions, celery, carrots. Top with cheese, and a side vegetable. Can also be made with stuffing.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 servings. Can be doubled for more people.
- 2 chicken tenders, whole
- 1 cup water, plain
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon Better than boullion, same
- 1 teaspoon onion, minced
- 1 cup Brown Rice, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, powder
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. In a 9x5 pan mix warm water with better than bouillon, until dissolved.
- Mix brown rice, onion, garlic, and butter, until combined, in the same pan as water.
- Place raw, thawed chicken tenders on top of rice mixture. Sprinkle chicken with meat tenderizer.
- Cover with foil, cook 20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from oven, remove foil. Spray chicken with coconut oil.
- Place back in oven to brown, uncovered. If the dish seems dry, more broth can be added. Shredded Cheese can be sprinkled on top, optional
- Remove from oven when lightly browned. Serve with a vegetable. I prefer a blend of vegetables with this dish.
Other add ins, and variations
Fresh chopped vegetables can be added to the rice mixture such as celery, fresh onion, and shredded carrots. Dependant upon your tastes.
Boxed stuffing can be used, instead of rice. Mix 1 box of stuffing mix, in the same pan. Follow package directions. Place chicken on top. Proceed the same as above. Serve with sweet potatoes, and green beans.
Another variation is Chicken Fajita casserole. Proceed the same, substitute fajita mix for sage. Add peppers, and onions with the rice. Cover, and bake.
Health Benefits of Chicken and Brown Rice
Benefits — Chicken is a great source of many key nutrients, including protein, niacin, selenium, and phosphorus. Benefits. Healthline
Brown rice is packed with fiber, lignans and magnesium, which all have beneficial effects on heart health and heart disease. Healthline
Both contain Tryptophan, that will help with weight Loss, and depression.
Wellness through nutrition, proven by science
Art, Music, Aroma, and Creativity are all therapy. Cooking is a creative process.
© 2022 Sherrie Gill