Makes 6 Servings
Ready in: 1 hr, 10 minutes: Cook time: 45 minutes. Prep time: 25 minutes
You will love this chicken liver pie recipe if you are a fan of liver in general. This dish has its roots in a number of cultures: British, Jewish, and Pennsylvania Dutch people all eat variations of this pie.
This recipe is for a chicken liver pot pie from scratch. That is -- liver, onions, potatoes, mixed vegetables, spices, and gravy are all mixed together and baked under a delicious golden crust.
2 tablespoons butter
1 lb. chicken livers, chopped. Keep liquid.
2 medium yellow onions, sliced into strips
2 medium potatoes, skins removed, cubed
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 16-oz bag of mixed frozen vegetables (corn, string beans, carrots, peas)
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 chicken bullion cubes
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons white flour
1 prepared pie shell (top crust only)
- In large frying pan, melt butter.
- Add chopped chicken livers (including liquid), onions, garlic powder, and seasonings. Sauté mixture over medium-high heat with cover off pan for five minutes to get onions golden.
- Add potatoes. Cover with lid and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes to steam potatoes until they are semi-soft.
- Toss in mixed frozen vegetables. Cover again with lid and cook another five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. At this point, as long as your potatoes are fork tender, you can turn the heat off.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and pour in liver mixture.
- For gravy -- In a saucepan, boil 2 cups water, bullion cubes, and seasonings together. Add butter and melt. Over low-medium heat, slowly add flour and quickly whisk until a smooth gravy develops. If your gravy is too thick, add a little water. If too thin, add a bit more flour.
- Pour finished gravy into 8x8 pan that contains liver mixture. Mix gravy in to combine ingredients.
- Place pie crust over top and shape edges as desired. Brush with milk to slightly moisten. Poke surface of crust with fork in different spots about eight times.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until crust is golden. Enjoy!