I am a chef who loves to cook, write recipes, and grow my own ingredients.
Most people enjoy eating spam as it is but did you know that we can make different dishes out of it? Just like other canned meats, we can actually make use of spam as a main ingredient when cooking variety of dishes. So for those sandwich lovers out there, follow the simple steps below to make this simple yet delicious cheesy mushroom spam sandwich.
For Crispy Spam:
- bread crumbs
- spam, sliced
For the cheesy mushroom:
- Angel KremQueso
- button mushrooms, sliced
- onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- black pepper
- cooking oil
Other Ingredient in Making Cheesy Mushroom Spam Sandwich:
- 3 large bowls
- 1 medium bowl
- 3 small bowls
- 2 large plates
- 1 small plate
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- frying pan
- saute pan
- cooking spoon
- cooling rack
- Prepare flour, egg whisked with water and bread crumbs in separate bowls. Season all with a little bit salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice whole spam into pieces. Start breading each piece. Dredge first into flour, egg, and bread crumbs.
- Once done breading, freeze the breaded spam for at least an hour before frying.
- While waiting for the spam, start preparing the other ingredients needed. In a pan, saute mushroom and onion in oil. Cook until tender. Add the Angel KremQueso. Thicken up with the diluted cornstarch in water. Continue cooking until thicken.
Tips and Techniques
- Coat spam with the breading mixture for added crunchy texture of the dish.
- Toast bread for a mix of soft and crunchy texture.
- Freshly toasted sandwich must be consumed immediately as it may turn hard after a while.
- Slice spam as small as the bread or as big as possible if using long type of bread such baguette.
- Choose any kind of plain bread available.
- Replace Angel KremQueso with any spreadable or sliced cheese.
- Combine oil and butter instead of using plain oil as it gives nutty flavor to the sauteed mushrooms and onions.
- Add water to egg for easy coating.
- Make the breading thicker by dredging each piece of fish twice into the flour.
- Freeze first the breaded spam before frying to let the coating stay intact in order to achieve a crunchier texture.
More Delicious Sandwich Recipes
- Patso: A Turkish-Inspired Sandwich
Do you love French fries? Try my version of Turkish patso, a sandwich stuffed with fries.
- How to Make a Breakfast Baguette Sandwich
What are your favorite sandwich fillings? I personally like to play around with my sandwich fillings by trying new ingredients. As long as there's a great combination of different tastes and textures, it will satisfy my craving.
© 2021 Travel Chef