Cabbage Rolls Could Not Be Easier To Make
I found this recipe in my 30+ year old Betty Crocker International Cookbook the other day when I had 2 ingredients and was trying to somehow make a meal of them without going to too much fuss. I needed something quick and I needed it to contain 1 pound of extra lean organic ground beef and 1 head of cabbage. I confess that I was not in the mood to make cabbage rolls even though they are one of my husband's favorites!
Ah - just in time I spied this recipe and to tell you the truth, I was not very impressed on looking at it. I thought it was too far from the traditional and probably doomed to failure. It did not SOUND appetizing but I hate to say it - wow - was I wrong!
The recipe is actually from Finland. It tastes almost exactly the same as cabbage rolls but without all the effort – it can be prepared for baking in 20 minutes or less. It is a delicious alternative – serve it with mashed potatoes and you have a most satisfying, easy and nutritious meal.
This recipe is a snap to make and cuts out all that pre-cooking of the cabbage leaves and then rolling them into individual little rolls. It was absolutely delicious and even as it was cooking, I knew I had hit on a new favorite in the cabbage roll department. Try it - I think you will like it!
Cabbage and Beef Loaf
This is actually called Lihakaalilaatikko (what a mouthful)
- 1 medium head green cabbage, coarsely shredded by hand or in food processor to equal 8 cups (I shredded it into long pieces/shreds rather than traditional shred as for coleslaw)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef (substitute ground chicken, turkey or pork)
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs (about 1-1/2 slices) – I actually used a bagel for the bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat cabbage and water with 1/4 teaspoon salt to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the cabbage wilts – about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Mix the remaining ingredients.
- Place half the cabbage in an ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Spread beef mixture over the cabbage – top with remaining cabbage.
- Cover and cook 350 degree oven until done – 55-60 minutes.
- Serve with cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes.
- Add 1/4 cup diced tomatoes or tomato sauce on top of the hamburger mixture or mixed in
- Add a small amount of grated Romano or Fontina cheese.
Another Cabbage Idea
- Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipes For St. Patrick's Day
Three delicious no-hassle corned beef and cabbage recipes--one boiled, one baked, one grilled--to help you celebrate Saint Patty's Day in good health AND good taste.
- Easy Cabbage Roll Recipe
This is my grandmas recipe, so don't tell her Im passing it along! Cabbage rolls are tasty, but take a lot of time to prepare. My grandmother was a wife and mother who also worked at a full-time job...
- Vegetarian Tikka Masala Recipe with Potato, Cabbage,...
Tikka Masala has been described as Britain's national food after a survey found that it was the most-ordered restaurant dish in the country. This vegetarian adaptation is very addictive; the potatoes, tomatoes, and cabbage compliment each other well
- Cabbage, Carrots and Turnips- Oh My; A Vegetable Ste...
The slow cooker, next to my wok, it is one of the most used items in the kitchen. Soups, stews and stir fries are the backbone of my cooking; simple and easy and perhaps what I enjoy best is the prep work...
- How to Make Fried Cabbage with Bacon
An easy classic - fried cabbage with bacon recipe, instructions and tips.
- Cherokee Cabbage from Oconaluftee Village
Cherokee, North Carolina, was where I purchased by first real bow and arrows during my last summer in middle school. I saw few Native Americans on my visit, but my bow had been made by the Cherokee Nation...
- The Cabbage Soup Diet Information Page
The Cabbage Soup Diet Is One Of The Healthiest Ways To Lose Weight There Is. And If You Follow Our Recipes For Cabbage Soup Really Delicious. Did you know that you can use the Cabbage Soup Diet to lose up to...
- Cabbage Soup Diet - Is The Cabbage Soup Detox Diet R...
Are you trying to lose weight fast? The Cabbage Soup Diet may be something you could try if you want to get rid of the evidence of overindulging during the holiday season. The Cabbage Soup Diet plan is a 7...
- Thai Stir Fried Cabbage with Pork Recipe. Quick and ...
Stir frying a bit of white cabbage and pork is so easy, but tastes so good. Try this authentic Thai stir fried meal - ready in 5 minutes, start to finish.
Audrey Kirchner (author) from Washington on February 24, 2013:
Thanks Carol--super delish and super easy~
carol stanley from Arizona on February 24, 2013:
These look wonderful. I wish I had some cabbage in my house to make these tonite. Voting up and pinning.
Audrey Kirchner (author) from Washington on October 17, 2010:
Thanks for stopping by, bushraismail and will have to check them out!
bushraismail from ASIA on October 17, 2010:
oh lovely hub. i love trying out new things. check out my recipes too....
Audrey Kirchner (author) from Washington on March 22, 2010:
Thank you for commenting! Hope you enjoy all the recipes.
RTalloni on March 22, 2010:
Something new to cook! And I loved both recipes in the video. Thanks bunches.
Audrey Kirchner (author) from Washington on February 06, 2010:
It is easier but just as tasty - I like having the option though of hurry up or the old fashioned way - thanks again for reading!
Darlene Sabella from Hello, my name is Toast and Jam, I live in the forest with my dog named Sam ... on February 05, 2010:
Thanks this looks even easier then the other one. However, they both have great ingedents. Love this, thanks
Audrey Kirchner (author) from Washington on February 04, 2010:
They did - I was so surprised!
Nancy Hinchliff from Essex Junction, Vermont on February 04, 2010:
Gotta try these. They look like they'd taste really great. Thanks.