Ashly shares food made with LOVE! A self-taught mom chef of three boys, she comes from a long line of amazing homemakers with food flair!
Hearty Boy Food
This is a classic Breakfast Meal in my house.
I Cook for Boys, sometimes very picky boys. Growing boys and a hard working man who need a good hearty meal....at least once in a while. **wink
The Amount of ingredients used can be adjusted for your needs. I have prepared enough for 4, with some possible leftovers.
- 4 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1 pound roll ground sausage
- 6 to 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk, no milk? no prob. sub with water
- 1 cup shredded cheeese, (optionable)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic powder, to taste, or 1/2 tsp each
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, optionable
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, (to taste)
- 1 Green pepper, optional
- 1 diced onion, Optional
- Time to Chop Potatoes! There was a time when I did not know how to dice potatoes properly. Now, I do not get my potatoes into perfect little squares, but I can get them into bite size trapezoids that pass inspection. I peel my potatoes, this is an optional choice, Turn potato lengthwise, cut straight down the length of the tater. Hold tater together and slice one or two more times lengthwise, this will help create more "Cubed" and bite sized potatoes. Lay flat side down and cut straight across creating little cubes....or trapezoids
- Put chopped potatoes in a bowl drizzle with vegetable oil and mix
- Once Potatoes are covered with oil, add spices and mix
- Add potatoes to hot pan! Ahhhhhh listen to that satisfying sizzle! If there is no sizzle, your pan is not hot enough.
- SAUSAGE! Add ground sausage of choice to pan and break apart. I have a meat chopper that I love to use for breaking apart my ground meat. See picture below. This is also the time to add your onion & pepper (optional)
- EGGS! Scramble eggs in seperate bowl Crack eggs, add milk, mix well Add to Hot pan. ( I always add a bit of butter to my eggs, I love a nice buttery taste I have found with eggs, I am in love with my ceramic non-stick pan. I absolutely hate the struggle, of stuck eggs on a pan. With my non stick ceramic pan, I use a silicone spatula so that I do not scrape off any of the ceramic coating.
- Don't forget to stir your ingredients. Here are a few tips.... Do not force your food if it is not ready, when taters and eggs are ready to stir, they should easily lift from the pan, and not have to be scraped. Do not over stir your eggs when in the pan or they will be rubbery and chewy, Simply "fold" the eggs while stirring.
- When these are done cooking. Mix all ingredients together and add cheese on top! Potatoes are done when you can easily stick with a fork, there should be no resistance, just soft acceptance. Enjoy a simple breakfast bowl with these few ingredients. I have recipes for more glamorous breakfast dishes that I will share, however I shared this simple version for times when budget is also simple. Simple budget, simple ingredients, simply satisfying.