I love to create and share nutritious recipes with the world.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 people
1/2 Onion chopped
1 tbsp Chana dal (or) Split Bengal gram
2 Green chillies chopped
5 Grape tomatoes chopped
Salt to taste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1-2 tsp red chilli powder
3-4 tbsp yogurt
Chop the beetroot. Add it to a blender with some water and puree it. Keep it aside.
Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and chana dal. Saute them in medium to high flame. Once the onions are half cooked, add the green chillies and saute. After a minute, add the pureed beetroot with the chopped grape tomatoes. Add some salt at this stage. Let it cook in medium flame.
When the beetroot is cooking, add the turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
Once the beets are cooked, add them to a blender. Add 3-4 tbsp of yogurt to it. Blend to a smooth consistency.
Ready to serve.
You can substitute grape tomatoes with any other variety of tomato.
Use it as
Creamy Beetroot Pachadi
Beetroot Pachadi is a yummy blend of beetroots, coconut and yogurt made in south India. I made a creamy version of it by adding in some chana dal and excluding the coconut. It turned out to be really good and filling. I spread it on my burgers, dipped some buttered parathas in and even enjoyed it with rice. You should give it a try too!
1/2 onion chopped
4 tbsp chana dal (or) split bengal gram
1 green thai chilli chopped
Salt to taste
3-4 tbsp yogurt
1 tsp mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves
1 red chilli
Wash and grate or chop the beetroots. Peel, wash and dice the onion into small pieces.
Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and chana dal. Saute them in medium to high flame. Once the onions are translucent, add the green chilli and saute. After a minute, add the beetroots. Add some salt at this stage. Close the pan with a lid and let it cook completely in medium flame. It will take around 10-15 min for it to cook well. Make sure the beets are well cooked before proceeding to the next step. Also, adjust the salt if needed.
Once the beets are cooked, add the contents of the pan to a blender. Add 4 tbsp of yogurt to it. Blend to a smooth consistency. If needed, add some more yogurt until the mixture reaches a smooth and creamy texture. Transfer the contents in the blender to a bowl.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start popping, add the curry leaves and chopped red chilli. Once the red chilli gets cooked, turn off the flame. Immediately, pour this hot tempering to the smooth beetroot mix in the bowl. Stir it in well so that the spice of the tempering gets incorporated into the dish.
Ready to serve :-)
Use it as
- Bread spread
- Side dish for rice and roti
Beetroot, the main ingredient used in these recipes is rich in folate, iron, vitamin C and B vitamins. It also contains the rare essential elements such as manganese, magnesium and copper.
Copper has an important role in helping the body absorb iron. Being rich in both copper and iron, the intake of beets can ensure a healthy rise in iron levels. Women, especially those who are pregnant will benefit greatly from its rich nutrients.
Beet & Corn Pasta
- grated beets
- ready to cook corn niblets
- hoisin sauce
- butter or margarine
- cooked pasta
- Heat a pan and melt 1 tsp butter (or) margarine.
- Saute grated beets in the pan for 5-10 min.
- Add the corn niblets and let them cook.
- Stir in the cooked pasta.
- Mix in a drop of hoisin sauce.
- Sprinkle salt to taste.
- Relish the delish meal.
- 2 beets grated
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- salt to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- rice flour (optional)
To make this cutlet, start with making the beet filling and then dip them in egg and pan-fry them to make the cutlets.
How To Make The Beet Filling:
- Heat a pan and add 1 tsp cooking oil.
- Stir the onion in the pan until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and mix it in.
- Now, saute the grated beets with the other ingredients in the pan.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cover and let it cook fully for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle water once in a while to prevent the beets from sticking to the pan.
- Once done, set it aside to cool down to room temperature.
How To Make The Beet Cutlets:
- Divide the beet filling into small portions and shape them to round balls.
- Beat 2 eggs in a bowl.
- Dip the round beet filling balls in egg and flatten them between the palms of your hand.
- Optionally, sprinkle some rice (or) semolina flour over them.
- Heat a non-stick pan and pan-fry the beetroot cutlets in low to medium heat.
- Fry both sides of the cutlet, adding drops of egg mixture to the sides if needed.
- Serve the yummy goodness of fresh and healthy homemade cutlets.
- Snack with your favourite sauce or ketchup.
- Make a sandwich or burger with a layer of lettuce, cutlet and sauce.
- Serve as a rice or roti accompaniment.
© 2020 Angel Writes