A housewife who loves to cook and bake. My passion is to cook delicious, additive free foods and share with friends and family.
Rate These Biscuits
Vanilla and Chocolate Biscuits
Everyone loves a cup of tea and biscuits - a cherry on top if biscuits are home made. If you will ask ten different people to tell how to make good biscuits? they will give 10 different recipes, tips and tricks to make good biscuits. Some will tell authentic recipe is to make dough in a wooden bowl, or main thing is flour which should be white Lilly or white southern brand. Some will say lard and shortening is a must while others will prefer butter. In my opinion good biscuits can be made with few basic ingredients. The only advice to make good biscuits is Practice, the more you practice, the better your biscuits will be.
My Memories Of These Biscuits:
These are traditional Pakistani biscuits, I used to eat them when I was a little kid - and whenever a guest shows up, someone runs to bakery to get these biscuits. There, In villages people usually don't inform in advance even if they are coming from a far city. As for them communication is still difficult and is an expensive mean. But a funny thing is, they do have a way which gives them some indication of guests. Yes, It's a well respected myth that a crow on a wall mean some guests are bound to arrive.
I tried few recipes of biscuits-some turns out good but not that good to impress my guests. Other recipes were good in look as well but they need few ingredients which are not easily available in kitchen cupboard, at least not in mine. Like shortening, some special white flour, butter milk etc. So I got this recipe and tried few times. Every time they turn out good and irresistible So I decided to share it with you.
This is an easy recipe - even a beginner can make these little beauties perfectly. You can keep these in a tin or jar for a fortnight. I usually double the amount of ingredients given below and make about 40 biscuits So I can share them with my friends and neighbours.
Some Useful Tips:
Biscuits dough should not be hard.
Please don't overcook biscuits, 10 to 15 minutes are good for them, depending on ovens.
A mixer is not must for biscuits - fork or hand beater can be used for beating and mixing.
Always keep your biscuits in an airtight jar.
Baking With Children
Try it with your kids by giving them rolling task and bringing the dough into log shape. Then stacking vanilla and chocolate logs on top of each other. I am sure they would love to bake while playing with it. As my 4 years old loves to bake these biscuits with me. She gives them log shape and then keep playing, rolling the log. At the end she takes all the credit and love to eat and offer the biscuits to her daddy and guests. That makes her happy and when she is smiling we become happy too.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 75gm Butter, at room temperature
- 150gm Plain flour
- 1tsp. Baking powder
- 6tbsp. Sugar
- 2drops Vanilla Essence
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1tbsp. Coca Powder
- Preheat your oven at 180C or Gas Mark 4. Beat the butter along sugar, add vanilla essence and egg yolk. Mix well.
- Mix flour and baking powder and add in butter mixture. It should form a soft dough. If hard use few more drops of milk.
- Divide the dough in half and add coca powder in half of dough and mix well but do not over kneed. Now roll both, and make flat round chapatti shape. It should be half inch thick. Please see picture. Cut rough edges so it make a square. Both dough should be equal in size.
- Put one round shaped dough on top of the other, press a little with hand or rolling pin and roll it slowly in butter paper. Keep this rolled dough in freezer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, Cut and bake.
- There will be some left over corners and edges from last dough as you can see in my pictures where square shaped dough' s are. Use them to make a 2 chocolate log shapes and two vanilla. Put vanilla log on chocolate and vice versa. See picture please. Press with hand. Wrap them in butter paper and put them in freezer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, cut it in biscuits shape.
- Bake it for 15 minutes. These biscuits will feel very soft when you bring these out. Don't worry they will hold shape once cool down.
- Store in an airtight jar and enjoy with tea whenever you like.