Peachpurple loves to cook assorted local recipes for her family and share with friends
Do you like this recipe?
Brief Story of Beancurd
Beancurd actually comes from two words; bean means soya bean and curd means coagulating soya milk and pressing the resulting curds into soft delicate white blocks.
The word "tofu" originated from the Japanese while "doufu" was from the Chinese.
Beancurd was first found in China during the Han Dynasty.
Beancurd is a healthy food which is versatile and full of nutrition value such as water soluble vitamins, minerals and proteins.
It is a traditional Chinese belief that beancurd helps to enhance skin smoothness and fairness.
Therefore, majority pregnant mothers include beancurd as one of the healthy food for pregnant women.
Normally, mothers-to-be consume soya milk and beancurd in order to have smooth and fair skin babies.
Benefits of Eating Beancurd
Beancurd is good and healthy for us. It is included in the healthy food pyramid and proven that it helps to lose weight.
However, not everyone likes its' taste. Some people find it too bland.
The best way to get rid of the blandness is frying which instantly changes its texture and taste. The soft type becomes hard and crisp.
Here are TOP 10 Reasons why you should eat TOFU:
- Reduce breast cancer risk
- Lower bad cholesterol level (LDL )
- Relief menopause since oesterogen stops to function
- Reduce obesity
- Healthy diet for diabetic patients
- Promote healthy and fair skin
- Ideal food for weight watchers
- Low in calories and fat
- Reduce cardiovascular diseases ( heart disease )
- Easy to cook!
How Beancurd was made
- In the olden days, beancurd were sold in cloth-lined wooden trays in which they were made.
- These beancurd were usually sold in blocks or squares.
- Nowadays, fresh beancurd are sold in tubes, plastic tubs or pre-packed.
- Each packing is enough for 2 servings.
Types of Beancurd
There are various of beancurd sold in the market, such as; JAPANESE EGG TOFU
- Japanese egg tofu for braise or steam dishes
- Japanese egg tofu (beancurd) is different from others because eggs are added to provide tantalizing taste rather than bland.
- It is a perfect ingredient for steamboat.
- fresh and soft tofu for soups,
- Soft tofu (beancurd) are especially suitable for light, clear soups as they are soft, smooth and easily digested.
How to cook tofu soup?
- Pak Choy Soup with Tofu Soup
Pak Choy Soup with Tofu is a clear , soothing soup for hot or warm weather. Both are full of protein and easy to cook, ready in 15 minutes. Great soup for sick patients and elderly folks.
- pressed tofu for stir fry or deep fried,
- Pressed tofu (beancurd) are usually square and have firm texture.
- These beancurd contain less water, not fragile and can be cut into slices or cubes without breaking them apart.
- firm tofu for stuffing with minced meat or fish which are usually deep fried or boil in soup also known as "Yong Tau Fu"
- This is popular in supermarket is the deep fried beancurd in cubes or squares.
- This type is crusty on the outer surface but full of pores inside, which means, the inside is almost empty. It is perfect for minced pork or fish paste stuffing.
- Many people prefers to dip them into chilli sauce for spicy taste.
Fried beancurd puff
- fried beancurd puff for curries, soups, rojak and "Bak Kut Teh" also known as "Meat Bone Tea"
They are dried beancurd where the inner contents are dried to the core.
Beancurd uffs are super absorbent, similar to a sponge that sucks up any sauces, gravy or soups quickly.
- Have you heard a tofu (beancurd) that smells like rotten garbage?
- Yes, it is "Smelly / Stinky Tofu". It is a fermented tofu with a strong foul smell.
- The brine to produce "Smelly Tofu" includes fermented milk, vegetables, meat, dried shrimps, mustard green, bamboo shoots and Chinese herbs which takes up several months to fermenate.
- It is a popular snack in Hong Kong, Taiwan and China.
- However, not everyone could tolerate the foul smell. It is commonly sold in fried form accompanied with chilli sauce or hoisin sauce.
Tips to cook TOFU
- Fried beancurd should be done quickly over high heat, Once the beancurd turns golden brown, remove and drain the oil on paper towel. Eat while it is hot and crispy.
- For braised dishes, beancurd should be added lastly so that it will not break into pieces while stirring.
- Beancurd, whether fresh or pressed will turn sour if left unattended in warm or hot heat. Even though the beancurd turn sour, it is not poisonous or stale. Some people fry or braise them in order to cover up the foul smell.
- The best way to keep them fresh is refrigerate them once you made the purchase. Use them by the second day for freshness.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 100g minced prawns
- 1 tube Jap .egg beancurd, sliced thickly
- 100g minced pork
- 100g minced chicken
- 5 slices carrots, diced
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp chicken granule/stock
Steam Beancurd with Meat Patties
- Decorate sliced beancurd on a plate attractively.
- Mix all meats together. Mix well.
- Add in diced carrots, onion, spring onion and seasoning.
- Stir until all well combined.
- Scoop 1 tsp of mixed meat and roll into a small ball.
- Flatten slightly.
- Place it on top of each beancurd.
- Steam for 3-5 min or until meat is cooked.
You may Also Like Other Healthy Food:
- LOW CHOLESTEROL DIET AND EASY RECIPES
For those who are weight watchers, this article provide many information and recipes for low cholesterol food
- HOT TASTY PORRIDGE
Tasty porridge for toddlers, adults and old folks. Easy and quick to cook, using not much ingredients.
- EASY FRUIT SALAD
Salad is a low cholesterol diet plan for weight watchers. salad dressing is important. Choose light dressing because normal salad dressing consists of fats and calories. Here are easy chicken salad recipe, how to make fruit salad recipe
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2010 peachy
peachy (author) from Home Sweet Home on March 30, 2015:
true, hard to taste the differences, but i love tofu with dried shrimps
C E Clark from North Texas on March 27, 2015:
Tofu is so versatile. I've eaten it made by some wonderful cooks who made it seem like fish or chicken and who could tell the difference?
peachy (author) from Home Sweet Home on February 17, 2014:
beancurd sheets .... I soak them into water first,. When your dish is almost cooked, dump them in.
Natalia on January 03, 2014:
Because of your post, I made this last night! But do you know how to choose beuarncd sheets which can totally dissolve in the soup? (I prefer it dissolved :D) Eversince I started making this, I've never come across any which can... I would ask the seller each time I buy the sheets, whom would always tell me "yes" but all I get are disappointments one after another...(I usually put them in the beginning--all ingrediants dumped in and boiled for 3 0r 4hrs in my slow cooker)