When I was a little girl, I used to help my grandmother bake her pies. She would always use fresh pumpkins from her garden. She was organic before organic was a word. After all the pies were baked, we would take her best pie to the local fair grounds. In October, there would be a weekend long fall festival where locals came to enter their pies, cakes and desserts. She was well known for bringing home a ribbon. So if you are looking for a fresh pumpkin pie recipe, you came to the right place.
|Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 9-inch pie
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin, fresh
- 1 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 9-inch pie shell, unbaked
- Clean pumpkin, remove seeds and outer skin. Puree flesh of pumpkin. Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl beat together pumpkin, milk, egg.
- In another bowl sift together ginger, cinnamon, flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl, mix together until smooth.
- Bake pie in oven at 400F for 10 minutes. reduce temperature to 325F.
- After 1/2 hour at 325F test with a silver knife. If the knife comes out clean the pie is done. If