Thelma Alberts is passionate about baking and cooking, and she likes to get creative. She worked for many years in cafeterias in Germany.
Green or White Asparagus
Asparagus is in season now. You can choose from the green color or the white color of asparagus. Stir frying in a wok or in a frying pan is an easy and a quick method in cooking them. Generally, I use the green asparagus as I like it much more than the white one. In my recipe you don´t need a lot of vegetables. Carrots and the green asparagus are the only vegetables I use besides the scallions, chopped onions, garlic and of course the bacon which make this recipe delicious to eat.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 3-4 persons
- 250 grams asparagus, green and sliced
- 2 pieces carrots, sliced
- 1 small piece onion, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into small cubes
- 90´-100 gram bacon, cut into stripes or cubes
- 1 piece scallion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt, if needed
- a bit of white or black pepper, ground
- a bit of chili (optional)
"Asparagus inspires gentle thoughts"
— Charles Lamb
Preparing the Ingredients
- Cut the hard and thicker stem of the asparagus. Just wash the asparagus and cut them into 3 or into half. Depends on how long they are. You don´t need to peel the asparagus.
- Peel the carrots, wash them and slice them into the size you want to have them. You can cut them into julliene, cubes or round, it´s up to your liking.
- Peel off the onion and slice it into cubes.
- Peel of the garlic and slice them into tiny cubes.
- Cut off the stem of the scallion, wash it and slice it into small rounds.
- Cut the bacon into stripes.
- Heat the wok or the frying pan in a moderate heat.
- When the wok or the pan is heated, put the vegetable oil in it.
- Then fry the sliced bacon until golden brown. Set aside on a plate.
- Using the same oil, saute the garlic and onion until the onion is looking transparent.
- Add the clean and sliced green asparagus in the wok. Stir while frying.
- Then add the sliced carrots to the asparagus. Keep on stirring.
- Then put the lid on the wok after stirring the mixture. Wait a bit until the vegetables are tender but still crispy.
- When the vegetables are done, add the set aside bacon.
- Keep on stir frying, add the sliced scallion, soy sauce and the ground pepper. Add salt if it is needed. Add chili if you want it hot.
- Then put off the wok. Serve with cooked rice or boiled potatoes.
Facts about green asparagus
- Green asparagus grows above the ground while the white asparagus grows in a small mounds of soil and doesn´t need any light.
- Green asparagus doesn´t need a lot of time in cooking. At least 5 minutes.
- It contains more vitamin C than the white asparagus.
- It is lesser woody and more aromatic compared to the white one.
- Just wash, peel if needed and cut the green asparagus before freezing. Defrost them by putting them in a hot water. It is very easy when making an asparagus soup.
- Buy fresh asparagus for this recipe. The fresher the asparagus, the better.
- If you don´t like the carrots in this recipe, you can use red, yellow or green bell peppers. The colors give the vibrant look of the food. Remember, the eyes "eat", too.
- You can add more bacon in this recipe if you want to.
- Double the ingredients of this recipe if cooking for 6 to 8 persons.
- Pasta can also be served with this asparagus stir fry. I usually use Tagliatelle or Fettuccine noodles instead of cooked rice or boiled potatoes.
- Instead of using scallion, you can use parsley.
- Of course you can use the white asparagus instead of the green one. You just have to peel off the skin from the top tip to the bottom of the white asparagus by using a peeler. When frying, make sure that the white asparagus becomes golden brown.
© 2019 Thelma Alberts
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on February 28, 2021:
A very delicious recipe. I am looking forward to the asparagus season this May so I can make them again.
Thank you very much for your nice comment. Have a nice month of March.
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on February 25, 2021:
This sounds like a wonderful recipe, Thelma.
I liked your well written and detailed instructions with helpful pictures. I believe, I can manage all the ingredients. Would love to try.
I must have missed this earlier. Thanks for sharing this again.
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on January 15, 2021:
Thank you very much Angel Guzman. It is indeed delicious.
Angel Guzman from Joliet, Illinois on July 02, 2020:
Mmm looks so delicious! I love asparagus!! And bacon!!!
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on December 21, 2019:
Thank you very much. Have a wonderful Christmas, too.
Audrey Hunt from Pahrump NV on December 18, 2019:
I need to include more asparagus in my diet. This recipe has me so excited...I love bacon so this caught my attention immediately.
Thanks, for your easy-to-follow recipe.
Have a beautiful Christmas.
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on December 03, 2019:
Hi Devika. Thank you for dropping by. Yes, please try this recipe and tell me how you like it.
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on November 26, 2019:
Sounds a tasty meal. I would try this recipe it is easy and easy access to ingredients.
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on August 28, 2019:
Spargel or Asparagus is a healthy vegetable and only come in spring and summer. I love eating this food. I hope you will try my recipe. Thanks for dropping by.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on August 28, 2019:
Oh my! This sounds delicious! I well remember my visit to my friend who lives in Germany. It was spargel (asparagus) harvesting time, and every restaurant was serving versions of dishes containing asparagus. I used to pick it wild when I was a child. Thanks for your recipe.
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on August 12, 2019:
Hi Rajan. It is a delicious dish. Thanks for dropping by. Have a great day!
Rajan Singh Jolly from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on August 09, 2019:
The dish looks lovely and is pretty easy to make. Thank you for sharing.
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on July 18, 2019:
Hi Tori. Thank you very much for dropping by. Well, you can change asparagus with broccoli or any kind of veggies your husband like. Have a great day!
Tori Leumas on July 09, 2019:
This looks really good. I love bacon. I might make this sometime, but my husband wouldn't eat it. He doesn't like asparagus.
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on June 17, 2019:
Hi Linda. Of course you can substitute the bacon with a vegetarian "meat", like tofu. Tell me how it went with this recipe when you have tried it with tofu or so. Thanks for dropping by. Have a nice day,
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on June 12, 2019:
I rarely eat asparagus, but I'm going to try now that I've read your recipe. Thanks for sharing it. It sounds delicious. I would substitute a vegetarian "bacon" for the real version, but I think the brand that I have in mind would be very tasty in your recipe.
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on June 12, 2019:
Hi Reena. Yes, it is also delicious with chicken as I have tried it, too. Thanks for your visit. Take care.
Reena Mukherjee on June 12, 2019:
That looks delicious. Shall try with chicken.
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on June 11, 2019:
Hello Liz Westwood. I think this is the best Asparagus stir fry. Well, for me. Thanks for your nice comment. Have a wonderful day.
Thelma Alberts (author) from Germany on June 11, 2019:
Hi Gypsy Rose Lee. How are you? Yes, this is delicious and easy to make stir fry. I hope you will try it. You are very welcome. Thanks for dropping by. Have a nice day.
Liz Westwood from UK on June 11, 2019:
This is a great recipe. I often wonder how best to cook asparagus. This is an easy to follow and well-illustrated recipe.
Gypsy Rose Lee from Daytona Beach, Florida on June 11, 2019:
This sounds absolutely delicious. I just love asparagus. Thank you for the great recipe.