Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He likes to share his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Aloo matar is a popular Indian main dish prepared with potatoes and green peas. It can be prepared as a dry dish if it is to be used as a side dish or a gravy dish if it is prepared as a main dish.
Today, we are preparing it as a gravy dish which you can have with rice or chapati, the Indian flatbread. The aloo matar gravywale is being prepared North-Indian Punjabi style in which not only are the spices roasted well but the potatoes and peas also are roasted nicely before they are cooked in the gravy.
Do try and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 tbsp oil
- 200 grams green peas
- 2 potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 tomatoes, pureed
- 2 +1 onions + cloves from a whole garlic bulb, pureed
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-3 tsp chopped hara dhania/cilantro
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1-1.25 tsp/to taste salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 500 ml water
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the onion-garlic puree & saute till light brown.
- Reduce the heat to low, put in the ginger paste and saute until the mixture is roasted medium brown.
- Add the tomato puree. Stir the mix and add in all spices & salt. Keep the heat on medium and stir for a minute.
- Add the green peas, potatoes & hara dhania. Stir roast for 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the milk & stir cook for 2 minutes.
- Put in the water & close the cooker. Give 1 whistle and put off heat.
- Open the cooker when the pressure eases. The peas and potatoes should be cooked.
- Heat the dish until it comes to a boil. Check the salt & add if needed.
- Remove to a serving dish and serve immediately.
Aloo Matar Gravywale (Potatoes and Peas Curry) Punjabi Style Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly