Good old meat and potatoes – It’s a classic winter dinner plate, and done well there is nothing finer, but prepared without care (think overcooked pork chops with watery boiled potatoes) there are few things that taste as dreary!
Thankfully, it doesn’t take a whole lot of effort to transform the everyday into something a little bit special. On that note, here are a number of ideas to perk up plane Jane boiled potatoes – easy variations that make all the difference and which will surprise and delight those accustomed to everyday potatoes.
Easy Boiled Potato Variations (Ideas)
Remember to salt your potato boiling water well (the water should taste pleasantly salty) – this a necessary step on the path to tasty taters!
- Parsley butter - Toss already cooked boiled potatoes in butter and fresh chopped parsley and salt to taste
- Dill New Potatoes – boil up some new potatoes and then toss with fresh chopped dill and butter, and salt to taste
- New potatoes with pesto – toss boiled potatoes with a couple of spoonfuls of pesto and a little salt to taste
- Bacon potatoes - Toss already boiled potatoes with fried bacon chopped into small chunks (mix in a Tbls or so of the bacon fat as well, if you’ve got it). Salt to taste
- Olive oil potatoes – dress boiled potatoes with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, garlic and fresh herbs of your choice ( a spare amount of rosemary, or some thyme, for example)…nice with a roast pork, for example
- Stock potatoes – potatoes boiled in a light chicken or vegetable stock instead of water
- Sour cream and chive potatoes – toss boiled potatoes with butter and salt to taste and then serve with a little sour cream (or crème freche) and minced chives on top
- Cream potatoes – cut boiled potatoes into thick slices and the toss with a little cream that you’ve brought to a simmer. Salt to taste and reduce the mixture until appropriately thickened (you can also add a little minced garlic to the simmering cream, for another nice variation)
- Vinaigrette potatoes – make an impromptu German style potato salad by tossing warm boiled potatoes with any vinaigrette salad dressing that you have on hand
- Roasted potatoes (Easy version) – take your boiled potatoes and toss with olive oil, salt and herbs of your choice and then dump them all onto a baking sheet. Roast in a very hot oven until nicely browning – 10 to 20 minutes
More Recipe Ideas
- The Top 10 Winter Meals, with Recipes. The Best of C...
The top 10 best meals for a Winter's afternoon - with recipes.
- 6 Steps to Delicious Braised Dishes. Easy Tips and T...
Easy tips and tricks for better braised dishes. How to make pot roast or short ribs tase as good as they smell - every time!
- Crispy Oven Roasted Smashed New Potatoes (Recipe). T...
Crunchy and golden, oven roasted smashed potatoes. These are good eating!
- Shan State Recipes (Thai Yai); Stir Fried Potatoes w...
A lot of Burmese migrants work as chefs in my restaurant. The political/economic situation in their country has led to an enormous exodus into Thailand, and much of the labor force in this country is in...
nagalekshmi from nagercoil on June 30, 2015:
Timely help.I was hunting for varied boiled potato recipes for my lil baby gal, who eats potatoes better than any other veggie.
IslandBites from Puerto Rico on April 25, 2013:
Susan from India on April 01, 2013:
Very interesting hub. Thanks for sharing.
Elle on November 26, 2012:
Tried creating the bacon potatoes today. Loved it. Potatoes tasted well seasoned boiled in salted water.
DerryMason on April 22, 2012:
We've just changed our eating plans from all that fried stuff to more healthy eating which includes boiled potatoes daily..This is a fantastic way of spicing things up which I will be puttujng to good use starting tommorrow...Think I'll start with the bacon recipe...
leann2800 on August 18, 2011:
This is so useful. I eat potatoes daily. I just locve them. I could use all the variations I can get. thanks for sharing
Lusi on January 18, 2011:
Thanks for the inspiration to turn ordinary potatoes into something a little more special :)
Carolyn Jung on November 16, 2010:
What great tips to give new flair to everyday boiled potatoes. This is especially handy during the holidays when your oven may be too full of other things for you to roast the taters.
PaperNotes on November 02, 2010:
I love potatoes and these recipes will be great addition to our weekly menu. Thanks.
caglar keskin on August 29, 2010:
Potatoes are one of the most common vegetables all over the world. They are cheap, easy to cook and have so many health benefits.
You can bake them, boil them, microwave them... everyone can make something to eat with potatoes.I will start to grow tomatoes
in my farm and now learning watever i can about them, thanks for information. I also found another good site
about potatoes and so many other methods of agriculturing, i recommend you to take a look.