A Romantic Collection of Poetry and Quotes
This lens is a collection of my favorite famous love poems and Valentine's Day quotes. It also includes Vintage Valentine Art to accompany each poem. This romantic collection will please all who enjoy love poems and delight lovers seeking just the right verse to impress their beloved.
Poetry spills from the cracks of a broken heart, but flows from one which is loved. ~Christopher Paul Rubero
I Carry Your Heart With Me
Famous Love Poem by E.E. Cummings
i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
Come live with me and be my love
Famous love poem by Christopher Marlowe
Come live with me and be my love,
And we will all the pleasures prove
That valleys, groves, hills, and fields,
Woods or steepy mountain yields.
And we will sit upon the rocks,
Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks,
By shallow rivers to whose falls
Melodious birds sing madrigals.
And I will make thee beds of roses
And a thousand fragrant posies,
A cap of flowers, and a kirtle
Embroidered all with leaves of myrtle;
A gown made of the finest wool
Which from our pretty lambs we pull;
Fair lined slippers for the cold,
With buckles of the purest gold;
A belt of straw and ivy buds,
With coral clasps and amber studs:
And if these pleasures may thee move,
Come live with me and be my love.
The shepherds' swains shall dance and sing
For thy delight each May morning:
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me and be my love.
Shakespeare Romantic Gifts
Valentine Verses and Shakespeare Love Quotes
Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love.
- William Shakespeare
So long as I can breathe or I can see
so long lives your love which gives life to me.
- William Shakespeare
Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.
- William Shakespeare
I claim there ain't
As great as Valentine.
- Ogden Nash
Oh, innocent victims of Cupid,
Remember this terse little verse;
To let a fool kiss you is stupid,
To let a kiss fool you is worse
- E.Y. Harburg
A hundred hearts would be too few
To carry all my love for you.
- Author Unknown
In melody divine,
My heart it beats to rapturous love,
I long to call you mine.
- Author Unknown
I love thee - I love thee,
'Tis all that I can say
It is my vision in the night,
My dreaming in the day.
My heart to you is given:
Oh, do give yours to me;
We'll lock them up together,
And throw away the key.
How Do I Love Thee
Famous Love Poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight.
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! -- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
To My Dear and Loving Husband
Husband Love Poem by Anne Bradstreet
If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee;
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me ye women if you can.
I prize thy love more then whole Mines of gold,
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee, give recompence.
Thy love is such I can no way repay,
The heavens reward thee manifold I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persever,
That when we live no more, we may live ever.
Valentines Gifts for Husbands
Romantic Valentines Love Quotes
1. Oh, if it be to choose and call thee mine, love, thou art every day my Valentine! - Thomas Hood
2. I've fallen in love many times... always with you. -Author Unknown
3. The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them. - Stephen King
4. You know when you have found your prince because you not only have a smile on your face but in your heart as well. -Author Unknown
5. Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart. - Author Unknown
6. The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along. - Rumi
7. Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear. - John Lennon
8. Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning. - Author Unknown
9. If I know what love is, it is because of you. - Herman Hesse
10. To love is to receive a glimpse of heaven. - Karen Sunde
11. If I could be anything in the world I would want to be a teardrop because I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips. - Author Unknown
12. We are, each of us angels with only one wing; and we can only fly by embracing one another. - Luciano de Crescenzo
13. Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. - Aristotle
14. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach. -Elizabeth Barrett Browning
15. A man is not where he lives, but where he loves. -Latin Proverb
16. True love stories never have endings. -Richard Bach
17. Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you're close in heart. -Kay Knudsen
18. Love puts the fun in together, the sad in apart, and the joy in a heart. -Author Unknown
19. Love me and the world is mine. -David Reed
20. Come live in my heart and pay no rent. -Samuel Lover
21. When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. - Arrigo Boito
Red Red Rose
Famous Love Poem by Robert Burns
O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my Luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry:
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.
And fare thee well, my only Luve,
And fare thee well awhile!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it ware ten thousand mile.
She Walks in Beauty
Famous Love Poem by Lord Byron
She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling place.
And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!
Valentines Gifts for Wife
A Valentine to My Wife
Valentine Love Poem for Wife by Eugene Field
Accept, dear girl, this little token,
And if between the lines you seek,
You'll find the love I've often spoken
The love my dying lips shall speak.
Our little ones are making merry
O'er am'rous ditties rhymed in jest,
But in these words (though awkward very)
The genuine article's expressed.
You are as fair and sweet and tender,
Dear brown-eyed little sweetheart mine,
As when, a callow youth and slender,
I asked to be your Valentine.
What though these years of ours be fleeting?
What though the years of youth be flown?
I'll mock old Tempus with repeating,
"I love my love and her alone!"
And when I fall before his reaping,
And when my stuttering speech is dumb,
Think not my love is dead or sleeping,
But that it waits for you to come.
So take, dear love, this little token,
And if there speaks in any line
The sentiment I'd fain have spoken,
Say, will you kiss your Valentine?
Love Poetry Books
Poll: Favorite Romantic Love Poem
Celebrates on February 09, 2015:
I love all these vintage Valentine's Day cards you selected for your article. Great choice of quotes and poetry too. I like the "Come live in my heart and pay no rent" quote.
poldepc lm on February 14, 2013:
anonymous on January 29, 2012:
Really nice lens! I wanted to recommend it for LOTD, but intro photos need to be square 250 x 250 pixels. Great job on this lens!