I'm a health blogger, write about pregnancy, parenting and baby products.
There has been quite a lot of discussion about whether parents should even use a pacifier. This argument is based on the myth that pacifiers create a loss of intimacy between mothers and their babies. However, studies have shown that this is untrue. It rather helps in building a better bond.
Pacifiers shouldn’t be used as a replacement for breastfeeding. It should be used when the baby becomes unsettled in normal conditions. During such time, pacifiers help the baby calm down. It aids as a settling mechanism for your worried baby.
It’s important to keep the pacifiers clean at all times. A dirty pacifier can increase your child’s risk of various infections. So, once your baby is done with using it, clean them!
But how can you clean your baby’s pacifier?
I know some parents think it’s easier to just quickly wipe the pacifier in your mouth but do not do this!! This leads to your germs being spread to your child. Running it under tap water for a few seconds will not completely disinfect it. Follow these methods to ensure that your baby’s pacifier is clean after each use:
- Boil it - Multiple studies suggest that boiling pacifiers for 15 minutes will effectively destroy all the bacterias. Doctors advise that parents with babies that are under the age of 6 months should use the boiling water method to sterilize their child's pacifier regularly.
- Anti-bacterial Spray - Another study shows that spraying the pacifier with a 0.12% chlorhexidine solution is also an effective method. It’s the active ingredient found in antimicrobial prescription mouth rinses. They help with the early stages of gum disease. However, consult your dentist before using this method.
- Rinse and Repeat - If your baby is older than 6 months, just washing the pacifier in hot, soapy water and rinsing it thoroughly between each use is adequate for destroying any bacterias. Remember to replace your baby’s pacifier if the surface begins to break down or if cracks appear, as bacteria in these areas may survive despite your cleaning efforts.
Anything that spends a significant amount of time in your baby’s mouth should be pretty clean. A good rule of thumb is to clean pacifiers in the same way and with the same intensity as you clean your baby’s bottles.
Even if your pacifier is made of the highest quality it is important to replace them now and then. If you are looking for some good baby pacifiers, we have a list of them for you!
1. Philips Avent Soothie Pacifier:
This pacifier is used by hospitals across the United States to calm down newborns.
- It is tasteless, odorless, and made out of highly durable hospital-grade silicone.
- The nipples of this pacifier are tough enough to endure any discoloration and stickiness. The caps are hygienic too.
- It meets all the strict quality regulations.
- It is made up of BPA-free material, i.e, it can be boiled and is dishwasher friendly.
- The single-piece construction helps to avoid bacteria collection and makes it extremely easy to wash.
2. Brown’s HappyPaci 100% Silicone Pacifier:
- Made of 100% toxin-free silicone.
- To prevent any possible choking hazard, a butterfly-shaped shield is added behind the nipple.
- It is easy to clean, sterilizer safe, and dishwasher safe (only on the top rack).
- You have a lot of colors to choose from.
- It is made out of one piece of hospital-quality silicone.
- This is indeed a very hygienic and safe-to-use BPA-free pacifier.
3. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Soother Pacifier:
- This pacifier is made out of pure silicone which means you can even boil it for sterilization.
- It comes in 2 sizes; size 1 is suitable for babies from 0 to 6 months and size 2 is ideal for babies between the age of 6 months and 18 months.
- Thanks to the natural nipple-based design it is recognized as a trustworthy pacifier.
- To ensure safety, it is BPA-free and the curves and holes in the design enable your baby’s skin to breathe properly.
- Due to its single-piece design, bacteria or germ buildup is completely eradicated.
4. Chicco NaturalFit Pacifier Clear Soft Silicone:
- This pacifier is ideal for babies of age from 0 to 12 months.
- This product is made of transparent soft silicone.
- This product is carefully designed as a single-piece make. This means it is easy to clean, store, and prevent any germ buildup.
- The design also aids in the natural development of movement and positioning of the tongue and proper mouth closure.
- It comes in various colors to choose from.
- Once you are done with it, you can store it away in a sterilized container that comes with this product.
5. Nanobébé Flexy Baby Pacifier for Breastfeeding Newborn:
- This pacifier comes in 2 different sizes, for 0 to 3 months old babies and babies older than 3 months.
- It has 4 color options and is BPA and phthalate-free.
- The ventilation holes in this pacifier allow your baby’s skin to breathe.
- The ergonomic curve makes sure it’s in place all the time.
- It is made out of soft silicone and the pack comes with two pacifiers.
- This design makes it 100% choking proof.
In some situations, baby pacifiers are heaven-sent. To calm a fussy baby is not an easy task to do and that is when pacifiers come in and save the day! Always remember to clean your baby’s pacifier before and after each use.
To know more about baby products, parenting and pregnancy visit our Parenthoodbliss website.
A calm baby is a happy baby!
© 2021 Sneha Singh Kandari