Leslie Shields has a doctorate in Christian Education and Evangelism. Her heart is to help others apply the Word of God to everyday living.
Have you ever heard anyone encourage another person to be weak? In any situation, people prefer strength over weakness. strength is superior to weakness, that is of course unless you like weak coffee, or you are weak to chocolate....Having a weak will is what gets you into trouble.
A weak will makes you vulnerable to be controlled by anyone who has a stronger will than you do. You can know the right thing to do, but that weak will won't let you do it....People have you going back and forth.... you can't stick to your decisions, you fluctuate in everything that you do....you are miserable inside and in effect, are doubled-minded.
Well, all is not lost...there is help for you (and for me)....If you work on overcoming the following 10 things you can keep weakness at bay and eventually reverse its effects......
- Indecision- When faced with the need to make a decision, utilize the "stop, think, ask" , system. This system is tried and true. The way it works is when you have to decide something, you don't. At least not for a minute or two. Don't be afraid to be slow to speak. Take the time to think. Consider your convictions, your desires, the consequences and benefits of the decision you are preparing to make. Ask God to help you make the right decision....if you listen, He will guide.
Fear- Fear is the hindrance to greatness. If you fear, you will not act. It is the great paralyzer of hope and dreams....get rid of it. Do whatever it takes to keep fear from being great in your life. If you know God, you don't have to live with fear.
- Insecurity- Your opinion of yourself should outweigh the opinions that others have of you. And your opinion of you should be based in what God has said about you. If you value another person's opinion of you more greatly than you value your own opinion of yourself, you will always be weak. Learn to be strong.
- Alienation- Don't push people away. If you have been hurt in the past and are suspicious of others or think that people just don't like you then it is time to examine your own heart. You may have been desperately hurt by others, but as devastating as that may have been you have to move on. Learn to trust again. He that would have friends must show himself friendly.
- Isolation- Hiding from the world will weaken you more quickly than anything else. Iron sharpeneth iron. You have to interact with others even though you may be offended once in a while. Learn from the offense. Let it toughen your skin. Endure hardness as a good soldier.
- Lack of knowledge - What you don't know will hurt you. Learn, study, read, pray, ask questions. Never find yourself without curiosity. In all thy getting, get an understanding.
- Lack of communication- Communicate with yourself. Tell yourself that you are strong because you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Communicate with others, connect with people who care about you communicate with God...He loves you most of all. Turn your can'ts into can's. I know that is a cliché but it is faithful and true.
- Self-deception- Always tell the truth to yourself about yourself. If you are lazy, don't say that you are not. But more importantly, decide what you are going to do about it...how are you going to begin to change it....never give up on yourself. Set a goal one day at a time to change the negative truths about yourself into testimonies.
- Pride- A multifaceted monster that is many-tentacled and which must be guarded against on a regular basis. Study about pride, recognize it, and get rid of it.... your help cometh from the Lord.
- Worry- Can you change one color of your hair to another color without the help of peroxide? No!, so, don't worry. The company is closed over the weekend, so, why are you worrying about the bill? Get the money to them on Monday. Let go of things that you cannot change until you can change them.
Above all else, guard your heart, filter what goes in and what goes out....You can be strong.
Leslie A. Shields (author) from Georgia on June 25, 2014:
Thank you Torrilynn... God Bless You....
torrilynn on June 24, 2014:
I would say the things that make you weak are living in the past and being insecure. overall, nice hub and lists of things that you can keep you in a weak state of mind. voted up.
Leslie A. Shields (author) from Georgia on September 01, 2011:
Thank you PK2010,
I appreciate you very much and I thank God when my hubs are helpful.
Anthea Kwaw from United Kingdom on August 31, 2011:
Brilliant words, brilliant hub, brilliant message. Voted up!
Leslie A. Shields (author) from Georgia on December 19, 2010:
Thank you so much....God bless you and Merry Christmas
TurtleDog on December 16, 2010:
Thanks for the article. Good stuff. "Indecision" and "worry" definitely plagues me from time to time. Thanks! Voted UP! useful
Leslie A. Shields (author) from Georgia on November 03, 2010:
Thanks again Treasure....God Bless you....
Sima Ballinger from Michigan on November 03, 2010:
Leslie, I know what mean. I had to use #1 the other day. Take a pause before making a decision. Don't be quick to say "yes" until you know the ramifications. Good article and well written.
Leslie A. Shields (author) from Georgia on August 04, 2010:
Thanks for your comment...I am glad that things are getting easier for you. We are all in the same battle, we just get shot at with different weapons....
bayoulady from Northern Louisiana,USA on July 04, 2010:
Worry was my Achilles heel. Worry would turn from "what if' to fear.Well, still does sometimes.As I get older, I am worrying less and less. At least it is a less powerful emotion than it used to be.
Leslie A. Shields (author) from Georgia on March 07, 2010:
Thank you so much, Heart4theword your comments mean a lot to me.....
heart4theword from hub on February 14, 2010:
Encouraging Hub-Page! Isolation and Alienation seems like a good answer at the time, when you've been hurt deeply.
As the saying goes, time heals! When time has passed it seems we realize we were made to be around people, not to isolate from them!
Learning not to take on others offenses, has only happened for me later in life. God is so good, if we knock He will answer:)
Great Hub-Page! Like Micky Dee, it would be nice to read your page again, and let it really seep in:)
Micky Dee on February 08, 2010:
Very nice. I have to heed what I read. There are several points I will come back and freshen up on. I do stop and think usually. I probably need to stop longer and think longer. Thanks for a great hub.