That's right! FREE vocal warmups to improve diction!
Got your tongue twisted? Untwist those tongues with a totally twistable tongue twister. Learn one or more of these every morning. Say it when you can throughout each day. There are twenty six of them. After saying each of them throughout the day for twenty six days, recite them all out loud, from memory. See how many you remember. Just try it. Assign one a day to yourself.
Actors, vocalists and other speakers that need a "pick-me-up" before a business presentation, warm-up your voice before they perform or deliver! Here are some tongue twisters that you can use as a diction warm-up! Learn to speak clearly. These mouth moving exercises will work for the beginner through advanced-level vocalist. Make up your own rhythm and make the sentence work for you! You can make each sentence into "your own" little jingle. Each one could become the start of an improvised scene. You could even become inspiration to write a fantastic novel, or write a story based on one of the following warm-ups.
You may say these warmups however you like. Find your own rhythm and speed. I recommend starting slow and then increase your speed gradually. Admittedly, some of the warmups may seem kind of odd. Some may even look stupid to you at first. Don't worry about that. Do them anyway. They have been designed to have both simple and quite complex patterns and are easy to remember.
Ready? Give it a shot. Don't forget to breathe!
Free Vocal Warm ups - Set 1
1. Ah-blah, alligator; blah-blah, anticipator
2. Beckoned Becky, boasted Bobby, believed babbling Brooke.
3. Can't David Eat Fish, Gail?
4. Honduras has horrible hamburgers.
5. In Jeffrey Kemp's last meeting, no one presentation remained solid.
6. Trust the tongue twisters to tickle that tongue.
7. Ugly vampires wear extraordinarily yellow zippers.
8. Alligators - Baboons - Cats - Dogs - Elephants - Fish
9. Gorillas - Horses - Iguanas - Jaguars - Kangaroos
10. Llamas - Monkeys - Newts - Octopus - Porcupines
11. Quail - Rabbits - Snakes - Turtles - Unicorns - Yaks - Zebra
Voice and Diction
Free Vocal Warmups - Set 2
This set of free warm ups are to be used for practicing pure vowel sounds. They are to be said rhythmically with breaths after each line. Good luck and have fun!
A (pronounced ah)
ah - zah - ah - zah - ah - zah - ah
bah - yah - bah - yah - bah - yah - bah
cah - xah - cah - xah - cah - xah - cah
dah - wah - dah - wah - dah - wah - dah
E (pronounced eh)
feh - veh - feh - veh - feh - veh - feh
geh - the - geh - the - geh - the - geh
heh - seh - heh - seh - heh - seh - heh
jeh - reh - jeh - reh - jeh - reh - jeh
I (pronounced ee)
kee - nee - kee - nee - kee - nee - kee
lee - mee - lee - mee - lee - mee - lee
mee - lee - mee - lee - mee - lee - mee
nee - kee - nee - kee - nee - kee - nee
O (pronounced oh)
poh - joh - poh - joh - poh - joh - poh
roh - hoh - roh - hoh - roh - hoh - roh
soh - goh - soh - goh - soh - goh - soh
toh - foh - toh - foh - toh - foh - toh
U (pronounced oo)
voo - doo - voo - doo - voo - doo - voo
woo - coo - woo - coo - woo - coo - woo
yoo - boo - yoo - boo - yoo - boo - yoo
zoo - oo - zoo - oo - zoo - oo - zoo
More about Warmups Set 2.
By doing each of the warmups in Set 2, you will speed through the entire alphabet. Go through them all just 5 times and you'll actually go through the alphabet 10 times. Truly a great workout and warm up for the vocalist/actor/speaker! I'm not going to say that this is a full vocal warm-up. You should spend 15 minutes or more on warming them up. However, this is a great vocal warm-up tool. Feel free to remember them! Anyway, much success on your Voice and/or Public Speaking Adventures. Don't forget to print this out or bookmark it so that you can practice these and commit them to memory.
Free Vocal Warmups - Set 3 - Tongue Twisters
Tip - Try your best to say the tongue twisters as briskly and as crisply as possible.
- Top of the day. Tip top. Tippity toppity snip snop.
- Babbling, Ben brought Babs to behave badly.
- David tried drying tomatoes daily, due to Dina's tremendous diet.
- Paul pruned Penelope's pansies leaving Penelope perplexed.
- Mable had a maple tree. Mable's maple tree didn't make maple syrup for Mable. Is Mable's maple unable?
- Twenty little leopards laughed at two lofty lions.
- Imagine having an imaginative imagination.
- Many mice are mighty mice.
- Thirty-three times three plus one is me.
- Sure, Sally sold sixty shells at the sea's shore, but Sue sold seventy seven! Sally, surprised at Sue's success, screamed and shouted seventeen times; "Sue's shells are shabby! Sally's shells are chic!" Sue said to Sally, "Say what?" Then Sue shouted, "Sally sold sixty six shells, so she's upset. Sorry for shouting!"
It takes time to truly treasure the twisting of the tongue, huh?
Tongue Twisters are Great for Warmups, and...
- All things speech related, to put it simply. If you speak in front of people, if you speak on the phone and even if you sing, tongue twisters can get the blood flowing to the right places in your mouth, jaw, cheeks and even other important facial muscles!
- Tongue twisters take a tole on the tongue. Your goal should be to make the tongue tired, but to make the tongue wired! (This will come with practice!)
- Just to have fun with!
Free Vocal Warm ups - Set 4
- Warming up and warming down is worth a little time.
- Much can be accomplished with some rhythm and some rhyme.
- They will help your voice to get itself to maxi-range.
- Even though the sounds of each may be a little strange.
Free Vocal Warm ups - Set 5
- Mashed Potato. Smashed Tomato.
- Baked Tomato. Burned Potato.
- Lunch with Potatoes. Dinner with Tomatoes.
- Potato, Tomato. Tomatoes, Potatoes.
Free Vocal Warm ups - Set 7
Directions: Start on an easy-to-sing note: perhaps C. Sing every work (and syllable) on that note. Then work your way up, chromatically and then down, chromatically.
Laugh a little -
Laugh a little -
Laugh a little louder.
Ha! He-ha! He, ha!
Free Vocal Warm Ups - Set 6
(Start pianissimo. End fortissimo.)
(That means start very soft, end very loud.)
- Mini me. Mini me. Mini me. Mini me.
- Medium, medium, medium, medium.
- Maxi, maxi, maxi, maxi me!
Free Vocal Warm Ups - Set 8
a. Another annoying ant ate all of Aunt Annie's apples at Anna's abode.
b. Ben boasted about Brenda's baking buns.
c. Cindy carried coffee to Carla Cummings.
d. Diana danced on a date.
e. Effortlessly, Elvin even eats every berry.
f. Frank's effort, firm and frank, was fine.
g. Grandma's gaudy garb gave Gary gusto to get going.
h. Howard Hopkins helped hire Henrietta Henry; however, Henry Howard helped hire Harry Hinkley.
i. Irma invited India and Ingrid inside.
j. Jimmy Johnson is joyful in Jakarta.
k. Katrina kept kindness close for karmic causes.
l. Lorna, Lena and Lewis loved living in Lithgow.
m. Morning Glories morn in glory in the morning, Glory.
n. Nancy knew nice was nicer than not nice.
o. Ottawa offered Omar a/a home.
p. Patrick provided Paula with purple petunias.
q. Queenie quivered from cold, quietly, in Canada.
r. Ramifications of not readying required reading requires readers to be re-remediated as re-remedial readers.
s. Surely Sandy Somers sought sight-seeing in San Sabastian.
t. Three tasty treats were treated to Tanya in Taiwan.
u. Under an upside-down umbrella, Ulmer undoubtedly gets un-dry.
v. Vincent vengefully "va-roomed" the Viper at Violet.
w. Watch out while witches wander in winter, wondering whether the weather is a rather.
x. Exhausted, Xena zapped Xona.
y. Yabba Yebba Yibba Yobba Yubba. Yappy, yeppy, yippy, yoppy, yuppy.
z. Zanga, zenga, zinga, zonga, zunga. Zigga, zugga, zagga, zebba, zooba.
* Tip of the day - When you are warming up the voice with any of the above warm-ups, or any other vocal warm-ups for that matter, have plenty of water or other clear liquids handy. Being hydrated is easier on vocal chords, causes less strain and is simply healthier for you. Don't drink milk! Milk coats your throat and you will not get a "pure" sound. Well that about wraps it up for my advice today.
Other Quick Vocal Tips
Don't forget to breathe properly. Use good diction, even if you're reciting a part that doesn't require it. Differentiate between your "D" and your "T." (very, very common mistake.) Make each statement, every single word, stand out.
Other Great Vocal Sites
- Vocalist.org - international singers with discussion & singing tips.
Great for opera and classical singers, but also discuss other styles.
- Creating Music
Great site to learn about composing music, playing music games and activities and more!
- BBC - How to Improve your vocals
Improving vocals: looking for a teacher, technique, warming up, breathing & vocal exercises
- Vocal Singing Exercises for Singers at www.vocalist.org.uk
Exercises for singers & vocalists including online midi scales.
Free Vocal Warmups
More Free Vocal Warmups
Even More Free Vocal Warmups
Tongue Twisters Help with Diction! Try these:
- Ralph's Tongue Twisters
- English Pronunciation: Tongue-Twisters | EnglishClub.com
Some classic English tongue twisters for EFL/ESL students.
- Tongue Twisters
- Tongue Twisters
Part of the most comprehensive and best-maintained list of links for students and teachers of English as a second language.
- Tongue Twisters
- Tongue Twisters | Thinks.com
Funny tongue twisters to twist and tangle up your whole mouth! - word play at Thinks.com
- Tongue Twisters for Kids, Children's English Tongue Twisters
TONGUE TWISTERS. Includes animated tongue twisters and tongue twister poems.
- 1st International Collection of Tongue Twisters
The world's largest collection of tongue twisters has 2790 tongue twisters in 109 languages with English translations.
- Tongue-twister - Wikipedia
- ProCW on HubPages
If you'd like to know a little bit more about me, visit my profile.
Kurtis Sanders on October 03, 2018:
I love this site and its vocal exercises. Thanks for creating it.
1223 on September 08, 2014:
this a great warm up really use this eveday like miley cycur thank u
hemant on March 14, 2013:
these warm ups are rellay good and helpful...i use it daily ..thanks for sharing
Heather on June 10, 2012:
Thank you for this. I want to use the sets so I don't lose my voice whilst teaching English to foreigners, and believe they'll be great stress relief for the students too. We can have a good laugh whilst falling over our tongues; in cheek.
louromano on March 20, 2012:
Thanks for sharing it... I really love it..
nemain on February 26, 2012:
Grasias! Fue un exito con mi clase the coro, y han majorado tanto!
bill clinton on February 21, 2012:
Wow this was a big help from you guys
lolum on December 12, 2011:
good im 8 and if u hair my voice you'll be very very very happy cuz when i say here is a tip do this breath in aand make this sound haa u no wat sound then breath out then say la la la la la la as soon as u finish breath out ok
akriti maurya on December 11, 2011:
hey i find these helpful,,,,,,,thank u!!!!!!!
Kaylah on November 24, 2011:
Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate .
Julia on November 17, 2011:
Hmmm... author of this seems familiar... Anyway, good to see these warm-ups. Might try to use some in rehearsals.
Nicki Minaj on September 27, 2011:
These are awesome! I use these all the time
jessica on August 22, 2011:
these warm-ups are great!!!!!!!!!
Miley Cyrus on February 04, 2011:
Wow, These warm-ups are great! I use them everyday!
Madisson on December 18, 2010:
Hello. I am a proffesional singer and go to MAAD it is a music and arts district and I must say these warmups are extroardinary
kendall on October 30, 2010:
these are cool i wil show my friends even the potato tomato one
kat on September 01, 2010:
thanks for sharing these exercises, they have really helped with my voices for when i am acting. Now i can speak loud, clearly and in the voice of my charecter. The audience and my teacher have noticed an improvement(:
b.p.rao on August 11, 2010:
thanking you very much I am glad to hear vocal warm up interesting
Audrey Hunt from Idyllwild Ca. on August 04, 2010:
I found the vocal warm ups interesting. Thank you for sharing this useful information. I look forward to more of your hubs. Thumbs up!
Dvid Heath on March 28, 2010:
great place here
rajivnandy from India !! on January 06, 2010:
hey !! these exercises are really awsumm ....d u no nethin tht helps if u hv a nassal twang in the voice ?
Kelcey-Chinchillaluver on August 12, 2009:
Hey these really helped with my voice everyone says I sound better when I havn't even told them I used these! THANKS!!
moses on July 25, 2009:
this is wonderful for encouraging, developing, and inspiring up coming artist over the world, keep up the good work.