Other top 10 sexiest male celebs over 40
- Top 10 sexiest 40+ male celebs - part 2
My personal top 10 of very attractive male celebs over 40
- The hottest Afro-American men over 40
My personal top 10 of very attractive Afro-American men over 40
Hollywood and media loves to place emphasis on what’s young when it comes to celebrity and status; however, they say 40 is the new 30. And as in Hollywood the phrase Forty and Fabulous is hotter than ever, it inspired me to make this hub. You’ll be surprised how all of these very hot men make being in your 40s look amazing ! And eh... don't forget to vote the poll if you think I've made a mistake. And for new suggestions, leave a comment !
1. Gerard Butler
Born in Paisley, Scotland on November 13, 1969 as Gerard James Butler, the youngest child of Margaret and Edward Butler. He spent the first few years of his life in Canada before returning to Scotland were he and his older brother and sister were raised in their hometown of Paisley, Scotland. His mother and stepfather still live in Scotland, his father is deceased. His parents divorced when he was a child and he had no contact with his father between the ages of two and 16 years old, after which time they became close. His father passed away when Gerard was in his early 20s. Butler went on to attend Glasgow University, where he studied to be a lawyer/solicitor. He has a legal degree from Glasgow University.
His acting career began when he was approached in a London coffee shop by actor Steven Berkoff, who later appeared alongside Butler in Attila, who gave him a role in a stage production of Coriolanus. After that Butler decided to give up law for acting. He was cast as Ewan McGregor's character Renton in the stage adaptation of Trainspotting and made his film debut as Billy Connolly's younger brother in Mrs. Brown (1997).
His film career continued with small roles, first in the James Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) and then Russell Mulcahy's Tale of the Mummy (1998). In 2000, Butler was cast in two breakthrough roles, the first being Attila the Hun in the USA film Attila , the second in Wes Craven’s Dracula 2000. Attila ended up being the second highest-rated TV movie ever. Following these two roles, Butler developed quite a fan base, an Internet site and began appearing on lists everywhere. Roles followed in movies such as Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003) as Terry Sheridan, alongside Angelina Jolie and in Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical The Phantom of the Opera (2004), playing the title character in the successful adaptation of the stage musical. He starred in P.S. I Love You (2007) with Academy Award-winner Hilary Swank, The Bounty Hunter (2010) with Jennifer Aniston and was a voice actor on How to train your dragon (2010). In production is Burns, in which he plays the role of the Scottish poet/lyricist Robert Burns.
- He is Scottish, but is of partial Irish ancestry. He has also mentioned that, because of this, his family does not have a tartan.
- First stage role was in Coriolanus and was poked in the eye with a wooden stake during rehearsals for the play.
- Prefers to be called Gerry. He does this because he notices that many people (especially Americans) struggle with pronouncing "Gerard".
- He has a tiny pug your could fit in your palm named Lolitta he fell in love with while walking by a pet shop.
- Is constantly trying to quit smoking employing the use of hypnotism, patches, lasers and most general methods. He did quit for six months while filming 300, but started again towards the end of filming.
2. Ty Pennington
Now this may come as a surprise, but to me Ty sure belongs in this hub ! Born as Gary Tygert Bruton on October 19, 1964 in Atlanta, Georgia, his name changed to Pennington after his mother remarried. While studying at the Atlanta College of Art – working during daytime as a carpenter - , he was spotted by a model agent, promptly forgot about carpentry, and set off on a career of posing on behalf of Swatch, J. Crew and Sprite, followed by television commercials for Diet Coke, Macy’s and Levi’s.
When the modeling gigs dried up, the exactly 6 feet (1.83 m) tall Ty returned to woodworking — he painted sets for the film Leaving Las Vegas — until he landed a job that honored both talents: the resident "hunky carpenter" on the Learning Channel's Trading Spaces. He quickly became known for his off-the-wall sense of humor and creative style during four years as the show's playful designer and carpenter. ABC’s Extreme Makeover – Home Edition was originally supposed to be a 13-part special with Ty as the leader of the design team, but it went on to be a huge hit.
The self-proclaimed “Jack of all Trades, Master of None,” can add bestselling author to his vast list of skills as well. His first book, Ty’s Tricks, published by Hyperion in 2003, was a New York Times bestseller while his magazine ‘Ty Pennington at Home’ and his latest book ‘Good Design’ are both very successful as well. He signed an agreement with ‘Sears’, teamed up with Abbott Nutrition and became the spokesperson for Marketplace Events. He also finds time to act as a spokesperson for ADHD Experts on Call, aiming to help affected children access the help which he was denied in his own childhood.
- He ran his own online furniture business called Furniture Unlimited, before his huge success.
- Was arrested on a DUI charge in 2007. He plead no contest to the charge and was charged a fine and given 90 days probation.
- According to the TV Guide Channel, he’s the highest paid endorser in America.
- Ty has ADHD type 1. He was diagnosed in elementary school with behavioral problems however wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until he was 17. He now takes medication daily.
- He won an Emmy in 2005 and 2006 in the ‘Outstanding Reality Program’ category.
- Ty's mother is a psychologist.
3. Johnny Depp
It's impossible to make this hub without the ever so attractive Johnny Depp. Born in Kentucky on June 9th 1963 as John Christopher Depp II - the youngest of 4 children - his sole ambition was a career in music, for which he dropped out of school at the age of 17. He fronted a series of garage bands; the most famous of these, the Kids, once opened for Iggy Pop. By age 20, he married the band's make-up artist Lori Allison with whom he visited L.A. and introduced him to actor Nicolas Cage. He encouraged Depp to give acting a try, which resulted in his first film debut; Wes Craven's major motion picture A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984). In 1985, Depp and Allison divorced and successful and not so successful movies followed, until the appearance in his biggest hit and first Oscar nomination ever as pirate Jack Sparrow in 2003's Pirates of the Caribbean - The Curse of the Black Pearl.
After relationships with Winona Ryder, Jennifer Grey, Sherily Fenn and Kate Moss, he found the love of his life in 1998 when he met Vanessa Paradis, a French actress and singer. The couple has two children and relocated to France in hope to pursue a more normal life.
- His two children have the same names of the two main characters in Legend (1985) and Pirates of the Caribbean: Lily (b. 1999) and Jack (b.2002).
- Depp has 13 tattoos, many of them signifying important persons or events in his life.
- Voted sexiest man alive in 2003 and 2009 by the American magazine People
- After being nominated seven times, he claimed his first Golden Globe for Best Actor after his appearance in 'Sweeney Todd' (2007).
- Currently plays in a band called P.
- Collaborated with director Tim Burton in seven films and wrote the foreword to Mark Salisbury's biography of Tim Burton.
- He commercially promotes 'Trojan Condoms'. The slogan for the campaign is "Stand up with Johnny for safer sex."
- Has adopted Goldeneye, the one-eyed Andalusian horse who played Gunpowder, Ichabod Crane's steed in Sleepy Hollow, thereby saving him from the glue factory.
- Along with Sean Penn, John Malkovich and Mick Hucknall, he co-owns the restaurant-bar Man Ray which is located near the Parisian Champs Elysees.
- Donated $2 million to the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. He gave the gift as thanks for the treatment his daughter Lily-Rose received at the facility in March 2007 after contracting an E. Coli infection that caused kidney failure.
- Made a voice message for 17-year-old British girl who has been in a coma for five months. Parents of the girl asked him to tape a voice message because he's the favorite actor of their daughter and they will play that message to her everyday hoping she'll wake up. Depp was touched by the letter and he said that he'll do whatever he can to help.
- Has a nightclub named after him in Tartu, Estonia. The nightclub is called "Who wouldn't like Johnny Depp?".
4. Daniel Craig
Born Daniel Wroughton Craig on March 2, 1968, in Chester, England as the son of Tim Craig and Carol Olivia Craig, an art teacher. Has an older sister Lea. After his parents split up in 1972, Craig and Lea were raised by their mother. From the age of 6, Craig started acting in school plays, making his debut in the Frodsham Primary School production of "Oliver!", and his mother was the driving force behind his artistic aspirations. At the age of 14, Craig played roles in "Oliver", "Romeo and Juliet" and "Cinderella" at Hilbre High School in West Kirby, Wirral, UK. He left Hilbre High at 16 to audition at the National Youth Theatre's (NYT) troupe on their tour in Manchester in 1984. He was accepted and moved down to London, continuing his training in 1988 at the London Guildhall School of Music and Drama where he studied alongside Ewan McGregor among others. He graduated in 1991, after a three-year course under the tutelage of Colin McCormack, the actor from the Royal Shakespeare Company.
From 1992-1994, he was married to Scottish actress Fiona Loudon, their daughter, named Ella Craig, was born in 1992. Daniel Craig made his film debut in The Power of One (1992). His film career continued on television, notably the BBC2 serial "Our Friends in the North" (1996). He shot to international fame after playing supporting roles in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) and Road to Perdition (2002). He was nominated for his performances in the leading role in Layer Cake (2004), and received other awards and nominations. Craig was named as the sixth actor to portray "James Bond", in October of 2005, weeks after he finished his work in Munich (2005), where he co-starred with Eric Bana under the directorship of Steven Spielberg.
Craig's reserved demeanor and his avoidance of the showbiz-party-red-carpet milieu makes him a cool "007". He is the first blonde actor to play Bond, and also the first to be born after the start of the film series, and also the first to be born after the death of author Ian Fleming in 1964. Four of the past Bond actors: Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan have indicated that Craig is a good choice as "Bond".
Daniel Craig Icepop
- Is the shortest actor to play the role of James Bond, despite being relatively tall standing at 5 feet and 11 inches (1.80m)
- The shot in Casino Royale of Craig sporting swimming trunks, has often topped many sexiest male celebrity polls. In 2009 Del Monte Foods launched a limited edition ice pop molded to resemble Craig emerging from the sea.
- Had to quit smoking and hire a personal trainer to prepare for his role of James Bond
- In December 2006, Daniel was voted the world's sexiest man in a poll conducted by condom maker Durex, after showing off his toned muscles in Casino Royale. Also chosen as one of People magazine's 'Sexiest Men Alive' for 2007.
- Had his wax work unveiled at the London Madame Tussauds in 2008.
- The British Home Office have granted a real passport to Daniel under the name of his 007 character 'James Bond'.
- Had two of his teeth knocked out while filming for "Casino Royale"
- Has a fear of flying
5. Will Smith
Will is born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA) on September 25, 1968 as Willard Christopher Smith Jr, the second of four children of Caroline, a school board employee, and Air Force veteran Willard C. Smith, the owner of a refrigeration company.
His middle class upbringing saw him attend the strict—and Catholic—Overbrook High School, despite his family's observation of the Baptist faith. His West Philadelphia neighborhood was a melting pot of cultures where Orthodox Jews co-existed with a large Muslim population. Smith was a good student whose charming personality and quick tongue were renowned for getting him out of trouble, a trait for which he soon gained the nickname "Prince.''
At the age of 12, he began rapping emulating heroes like Grandmaster Flash but tingeing his rhymes with a comedic element that would later become his trademark. He met Jeff Townes when he was 16 at a party and they soon began performing together as DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. Their debut album Rock the House hit the Billboard Top 200, and made him a millionaire before the age of 18. He spent a lot of money on a house, cars and jewelry; leading to his near bankruptcy in his early twenties.
Luckily, in 1989, he met Benny Medina, who had an idea for a sitcom. Will basically played himself; a street-smart West Philly kid shipped off to California to live with wealthy relatives in Bel-Air, California. The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air was a huge success and lasted 6 years; Will’s career was set.
His first steps into super-stardom came with his next film, Bad Boys (1995), followed by the huge blockbuster hit Independence Day (1996), Men In Black (1997), Enemy of the State (1998), Ali (2001), Men in Black 2 (2002), Bad Boys 2 (2003), I, Robot (2004), Hitch (2005) and I am legend (2007).
- The Smith family has homes in Florida, Sweden and Philadelphia.
- Like many in Hollywood, Smith is politically liberal and has made donations to the presidential campaign of Senator Barack Obama.
- He is a fan of chess and video games
- Is known to take his mother on vacation every year, usually to the Canyon Ranch spa in Tucson, Arizona.
- Will Smith has earned himself the nickname of "Mr. Fourth of July", due to the fact that his movies that open on the Fourth of July long weekend, have always ended up being number one at the box office, that same weekend.
- Was one of People Magazine's Sexiest Men Alive, 2006. He is found in the 'Hooray for Gray!' section. Will was chosen as one of People Magazine's, Sexiest Man Alive for 2007.
- Has been at his adult height of 6' 2" (1.89m) since he was 13. However, he is now 60 pounds heavier than, when he first reached this height.
- He had his credit identity stolen, and $32,897.34 amassed before the thief was apprehended. Carlos Lomax opened 14 accounts under Will's birth name of Willard C. Smith. Once caught, he was sentenced to three years in Federal Prison.
- He incorporates the line "Aw, hell no!" into all his movies as a running catch phrase like Arnold Schwarzenegger's "I'll be back!".
- Will's brother Harry and sister Ellen are twins
- Before Brad Pitt got the part, Will was considered for 'Mr. Smith" in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
- Will is bilingual, he speaks fluent Spanish.
- He is of both African American and Native American heritage.
- December 2007 - According to Forbes, for each dollar he got paid, Smith's movies averaged $10 of gross income.
- Will was married to Sheree Zampino on May 9, 1992 and they divorced in 1995. They have a son named, Willard Smith III, nicknamed, "Trey", born in December 1992.The divorce led to a $900,000 lump sum divorce settlement for Zampino plus $24,000 per month in alimony and child support; this equals $288,000 a year.
- He met his wife Jada Pinkett when she tried out for the role of his girlfriend on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" (1990). The role eventually went to Nia Long whileWill married Jada Pinkett on December 31, 1997. They have a son, Jaden Christopher Syre Smith born on July 8, 1998 and a daughter, Willow Camille Reign Smith, born on October 31, 2000.
- His son Jaden co-starred in the movie ‘The Pursuit Of Happyness’ (2006). Jaden got the lead role in the remake of The Karate Kid (2010) with his father being the producer.
6. Hugh Jackman
Hugh Jackman was born October 12, 1968 in Sydney, Australia as the youngest of five children of English parents Chris Jackman and Grace Watson. He has 2 older brothers - Ian and Ralph and two older sisters - Sonya and Zoe as well as a half sister from his mother's side of the family. His parents separated when he was 8. His mother then moved to England, leaving his father, an accountant, to raise him and his four siblings by himself in Australia. Hugh has a communications degree with a journalism major from the University of Technology Sydney. After graduating, he attended Art School in Perth, Australia from which he graduated in 1994 (he turned down a role in the popular soap ‘Neighbours’ to do so).
Almost immediately was offered a role on the Australian TV Series ‘Correlli’, where he met his wife-to-be Deborra-Lee Furness. When the serie was canceled after one season, Hugh was cast as Gaston’ in the Australian run of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. It was his first professional stage appearance and he received an MO nomination for Best Actor. He became known outside of Australia in 1998, when he played the leading role of Curly in the Royal National Theatre's acclaimed stage production of Oklahoma!, in London's West End. The performance earned him an Olivier Award nomination for Best Actor in a Musical. His career became a major boost after his role of Wolverine in the Bryan Singer movie X-men, followed by leading roles in Kate & Leopold (Golden Globe nomination), Swordfish, Van Helsing, Australia and he voiced Happy Feet.
- Hugh is 6' 2 ½" (1.90m) tall with hazel eyes. He is left-handed.
- A three-time host of the Tony Awards, winning an Emmy for one of these appearances, Jackman also hosted the 81st Academy Awards on February 22, 2009
- He spent years of his early life pumping gas from midnight to dawn at a Shell station. He quit his job after another worker was held up with a shotgun.
- His first acting role was in an onstage play called Camelot when he was 5 years old.
- Hugh was chosen as one of People magazine's 'Sexiest Men Alive' for 2007. He was also chosen by the same magazine as one of the '50 Most Beautiful People in the World' for 5 years in a row.
- He doesn`t smoke in real life and says he finds it horrible to smoke in movies.
- He is terribly near-sighted and has extremely blurry vision when he isn`t wearing contacts. Even when hosting the Tony’s and "Saturday Night Live" he memorized almost everything he had to say so he wouldn`t have to struggle to
- He was one of the choices to play James Bond, in 2006's Casino Royale, but eventually lost out to Daniel Craig
- Once said in an interview with Jay Leno that he is a fan of the "Friday The 13th" film series, and he became an actor because he wanted to play Jason in one.
- His sister Sonya banned him from using her husband Richard as his stunt double after he broke his brother-in-law's leg, wrist and nose on set.
- Appears as his big screen alter-ego Wolverine and dons a milk moustache in an ad in the Body By Milk campaign.
- Was honored in 2009 at a ceremony outside Grauman's Chinese Theater, where his hand and footprints were immortalized in cement.
- Hugh met Deborra-Lee Furness in 1995 while co-starring in the Australian TV Series Corelli. The couple married in February, 1996 and suffered through two miscarriages, which they point to as the most difficult point in their live. They adopted their son, Oscar Maximillian, in May 2000 and their daughter, Ava Eliot, in July, 2005.
7. Tyson Beckford
The 6'2" (1.89m) tall Tyson Craig Beckford is an American supermodel and actor, known worldwide for his muscular physique, facial structure and tattoos. Is reported to be one of the highest-paid and richest male supermodels in the world.
Born December 19, 1970 he grew up in Rochester, New York, he attended Pittsford Mendon High School in the affluent suburb of Pittsford as a participant in the Urban-Suburban Program, abusing program designed to give educational opportunities to urban youth in the city's surrounding suburban school districts. Tyson was a member of his high school football and track teams, and it has been reported that early in his life, Beckford was a gang member and was involved in the sale and distribution of illegal narcotics. In 1991, he was recruited to hip hop magazine "The Source" by a talent scout who had come across him by chance in a New York park. Within two years he had a starring role in Ralph Lauren's Polo Sport fragrance and sportswear campaign.
Beckford's fame continued to rise, and he was named "Man of the Year" in 1995 by VH1, as well as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World by "People" magazine. Now works as a producer and actor.
- His exotic looks can be attributed to the fact that his father Lloyd Beckford is half Jamaican and half Chinese and his mother Hillary Dixon Hall has Panamanian ancestry. His maternal grandmother was born in Ghana while his paternal grandmother is 100% Chinese. When he was still in school, his exotic eyes and high cheekbones drew ridicule from his schoolmates.
- After a romance with TV Stylist April Roomer, son Jordan was born in 1998. Stated more than once that most perfect moment of his life was when his son was born. Raises his son as a single parent.
- He appears in Notorious B.I.G.'s Video "One More Chance" and in Toni Braxton's Video "Un-break my Heart"
- Narrowly escaped death after his truck crashed and burst into flames on a New Jersey highway. He was able to pull himself out before it became fully engulfed in flames. The accident had a profound effect on his spirituality, which he later revealed on "The Oprah Winfrey Show
- Once turned down a spot on the Milan Fashion Week catwalk because he was the only black man invited to the event. "There are so many African-American and African men who are trying to get jobs, and they weren't giving the jobs to them," he said at the time. "I'm not the only brother out here trying to make it. So I didn't go."
8. Brad Pitt
Born December 18, 1963 in Shawnee, Oklahoma as William Bradley Pitt, the son of Jane Etta Hillhouse, a high school counselor, and William Alvin Pitt, who worked in management at a trucking firm in Springfield. Soon after Brad was born, the family moved to Springfield, Missouri where he grew up with his siblings Doug (born 1966) and Julie Neal (born 1969). After his graduation from high school, he attended the University of Missouri, where he majored in journalism with a focus on advertising. The 5' 11" (1.80 m) soon to be 'sexiest man alive' left college two credits short of graduating to follow his acting dream for which he moved to California and took acting lessons from Roy London.
Before he became successful at acting, Brad supported himself by driving strippers in limos, moving refrigerators and dancing in a chicken suit to draw in customers at an El Pollo Loco restaurant on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood.
After years of supporting roles in movies and frequent television guest appearances, broader public recognition came with his supporting role in the movieThelma & Louise (1991), in which he played a love scene with Geena Davis and defined him a sex symbol. Successful and less successful movies followed, while his image of sex symbol stuck to him like glue, resulting in several listings like People’s Sexiest Man Alive (1995 and 2000), one of Empire’s 25 sexiest stars in film history, Elle’s 15 Sexiest Men poll (2007) and Company magazine's annual 100 Sexiest Men poll (2004).
There’s no doubt he has a strong community and humanitarian involvement, regarding his founding of the Make it Right Foundation (2006 after hurricane Katrina, to finance and construct 150 affordable new houses in New Orleans) and the Jolie-Pitt Foundation (2006, to aid humanitarian causes around the world). He’s also one of the founders of the Not On Our Watch Foundation, an organization that tries to focus global attention and resources to stop and prevent genocides.
After relationships with actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Juliette Lewis, he married actress Jennifer Aniston in 1998, but divorced her in 2005 for actress Angelina Jolie. The couple has six children, from which three adopted.
- Has a Single Engine Land pilot license
- Took Greek language lessons in secret while married to Jennifer Aniston, who is of Greek ancestry
- Made reservations with Richard Branson to fly into space in 2010
- Quit smoking while filming the blockbuster Troy
- Has been banned from entering China because of his role in the controversial movie Seven Years in Tibet (1997)
- Was trained to handle weapons by renowned Hollywood gun coach Thell Reed
9. Paolo Seganti
Born May 20, 1965 as the middle child of five brothers in Milan, Italy. He first found the spotlight (and worked out his teenage aggression) in a boxing ring. He won 40 fights (38 by knockout) and lost just two, earning three Italian junior championships by the time he was 15. He continued fighting and acting (theatre) on and off for 5 years until a fashion photographer discovered him.
After doing some modeling and commercials in Italy, Seganti emptied his savings account and moved to the U.S. — where he had always dreamed of living — when he was 19. Unfortunately, the American modeling agencies told him to go home, work on his portfolio and learn English first. Instead, he went to Canada, where he soon launched as a print and runway model, working with renowned photographers like Bruce Weber, supermodels like Cindy Crawford and Linda Evangelista and designers including Calvin Klein, Versace and Yves Saint Laurent. But he quickly got over the snobby nature of the modeling business, and also earned a reputation for being difficult — walking off jobs if someone gave him attitude and letting his blunt candor get the better of him — which followed Seganti into his early forays in acting.
It was one of his last gigs as a model, the worldwide campaign for Chanel’s fragrance Egoiste, that brought him to the attention of the As the World Turns producers who gave him the role of Damian Grimaldi in 1993 which was Paolo's first paid job as an actor. The importance of his character grew due to audience demand. Therefore, instead of a short guest appearance, Damian became an important part of the show. In fact, his character became SO popular that Damian's role was revived several times after Paolo had left the show (1997, 2001 and 2006).
He began working extensively on the New York stage, receiving critical acclaim for lead roles in, ‘Equus’ and the self-directed, ‘Whose Life Is It Anyway?’.
After tv guest appearances in ‘The Nanny’, ‘Nash Bridges’ and ‘ER’, he made his film debut in Woody Allen's ‘Everyone Says I Love You’, followed by LA Confidential. He then starred in the independent film Still Breathing opposite Brendan Fraser, followed by Tea With Mussolini alongside Cher, Judi Dench and Joan Plowright. Was given the lead of Paramount's sensational action series Largo Winch, the French dark comedy ‘L'American’ and the lead in ‘White Iris’. Returned permanently to the ATWT role of Damian in March of 2008.
- At age 20, he married a Canadian woman, mostly to get his working papers, and divorced her after two-and-a-half years.
- Most of his work as a Formula One racecar driver in Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You ended up on the cutting room floor. "I am in the film — for one second," he told Digest in 2001. "I'm like a bona fide extra."
- His prefame jobs included working aboard a ship, driving tractors and gas station attendant.
- During a mandatory stint in the Italian marines, he won the Italian championship for rowing.
- Is fluent in Italian, French and English.
- Married to actress Carlotta Chang in 2001 and has three children: Stella, born in 1999; Marcello, born in 2001 and Maddalena, born in 2005.
10. Gary Dourdan
Gary was born December 11, 1966 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA as Gary Robert Durdin. He’s the second youngest of five children born to Sandy, a teacher and fashion designer, and Robert Durdin, an entrepreneur and agent for jazz musicians. At the age of 9, his 23-year old brother Darryl was murdered by being pushed off a balcony when he was in Haiti to investigate their French ancestors; the case is still unsolved.
The family moved to Willingboro, New Jersey when he was in his youth, where he ended up in a young gang, using and abusing alcohol and drugs. When he realized most of the people he knew had either died or ended up in jail, he moved to New York City where he worked as a doorman at a rehearsal studio and met some of Manhattan's promising young artists.
The 6'2" (1.89m) Gary got his first break when Debbie Allen saw him walking down a Paris street with his wife-to-be Roshumba Williams. (The two were married from 1992 to 1994.). She cast him as Shazza Zulu on A Different World (a spinoff of “The Cosby Show) in which he played the perennial college student with an affinity for jive talking young college women. He had a recurring role on the Showtime series Soul Food until he nabbed the part of Warrick Brown on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. Also starred in the 1997 film Alien Resurrection as (Christie) alongside Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder and Ron Perlman.
Dourdan's most popular role began as a cast member of the original CSI series which aired on October 6, 2000. He played analyst Warrick Brown who, viewers find out, has a dark past checkered with gambling and addictions. By working in Las Vegas, the character is able to use his personal experiences with gambling to help him throughout his career. Ultimately, he ends up battling his demons throughout the show instead of overcoming them.
On April 29, 2008, he was arrested in Palm Springs, California for possession of heroin, cocaine, ecstasy and prescription drugs. In exchange for a guilty plea, the heroin charge was dropped and Gary completed a court-ordered, 16-week drug education program.
In 2008, during negotiation with CBS, his "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" contract was not renewed. In the Season 8 finale, Dourdan's character was shot and left for dead at the episode's end. The Season 9 premiere had Dourdan's character dying in the arms of his colleague Grissom. Many have incorrectly assumed that his 2008 arrest caused CBS to drop him from the show, but his final scenes had been shot and his contract negotiations were concluded before his arrest.
- His remarkable eye color is inherited from his mother who is blond with clear eyes. His father is black. He has French, Irish, Scottish, African, Indian and Jewish blood in his veins. He modeled in the 1980s and 1990s for Boss Models in New York City.
- Received the NAACP's Image Award of Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his performance of Warrick Brown in 2006. Has been nominated 4 years in a row and won twice.
- Is an accomplished musician. Plays the guitar, piano, bass, drum and sax (his uncle plays saxophone for Sister Sledge and gave Gary a saxophone when he was around 13)
- Played Janet Jackson's boyfriend in the video for her 1993 hit "Again".
- Gary has a hip-hop music group called Smoky Mirrors; he’s also a producer, songwriter and has his own production company, Temple of Thoughts. Releases music through his label ‘Dynamite Joints’.
- Using Kolade, his African name, Gary quietly released albums in 2003 and 2004. “Verses” and “6/17/04” are available on iTunes.
- He married model Roshumba Williams in 1992; the couple divorced two years later. He has two children: a son, Lyric (2002), and a daughter, Nyla (1998). Lyric's mother is Cynthia Hadden and Nyla's mother is Jennifer Sutton, whom Dourdan dated from 1995 to 2000.
Sexiest male celebs over 40
Jasmine on January 26, 2020:
I think you should put Alex o Laughlin ,an Hugh jack man belongs on that list
EmilyOliver1 on August 02, 2016:
There are allot of hot men in showbiz, a lot are mentioned in the above post but, I prefer the list of 10 and believe me below post contains hottest men
Maggie M on September 21, 2015:
George Clooney and Jon Bon Jovi belong somewhere on that list.
FlourishAnyway from USA on September 29, 2013:
Brad Pitt is awesome, and I sure wish George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg were on this list. They are talented actors, easy on the eyes, and they get better with age.
Viva Jones from UK on May 23, 2013:
Gary Dourdan, how I miss him from CSI... definitely my favourite on this list!!
Marty on November 01, 2012:
Johnny is soooo HOTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and awesome!!!!!!
Liza on April 05, 2012:
Hottest men alive..
Josh Holloway, Ron Moss (almost 60), Mathew Fox,
Fantastic bone structure which makes heads turn and keep on turning. Anybody who cannot admit to their striking, knock-out model good looks are probably not able to handle the beauty of Micheangelo's David either (including many male directors who seem to be reluctant to hire these male adonises--its not penis envy, but FACE envy. Women have had it for years and so do men!). Their flawless one in a million faces aren't for the faint of heart.
Emma Crooke on February 27, 2011:
how on earth can people think that putting hugh jackman on the list is a mistake, he's in my top 3 of hottest guys on your list, personally i think him and gary dourdan should be swapped.