Wuthering Heights - Heathcliff and Catherine on the Moors
The Romantic Movie Quiz
I love a good romance on the big screen ... take me to the movies and make me fall in love. Here are some of the movies I like to watch in February to get in a lovey-dovey mood for Valentine's Day. I am a bit of a trivia lover and that means I am always playing question and answer quizzes, so I thought I would share some of my favorite February movies with you. I also sweetened the pot, so to speak, by adding lots of trivia questions and answers to test you on your Love IQ!
Here's my favorite sentimental movie list in from A to Z order (and be forewarned, some of them are tear-jerkers!):
- A Walk In The Clouds - Keanu Reeves and Aitana Sanchez-Gijon
- Back Street - an oldie from 1961 starring Susan Hayward and John Gavin
- Charlie St. Cloud - Zac Efron and Amanda Crew star in this 2010 drama
- Dirty Dancing - Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze show us all the right moves in this 1987 classic
- Ghost - the 1990 film starring Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze
- Out of Africa - Robert Redford and Meryl Streep starred together in this 1985 film
- Say Anything - Ione Skye and John Cusack share Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" with us in this romantic movie from 1987
- Somewhere in Time - Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour star in this 1980s film about love and time travel
- Splendor in the Grass - from 1961, this film starring Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty always makes me cry.
- The Last of the Mohicans - 1997 release starring Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe
- The Notebook - yes, another tear-jerker I love to watch over and over again. This movie was released in 2004 and stars Ryan Gosling & Rachel McAdams
- The Way We Were - Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford star in this 1973 film
- Titanic - 1997s huge hit starring Leonardo De Caprio and Kate Winslet
- West Side Story - a 1961 version of Romeo and Juliette starring Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer
- When Harry Met Sally - 1989 gave us this gem of a romance starring Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal
- Wuthering Heights - the 1939 film starring Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon as star-crossed lovers, Heathcliff and Catherine
A Walk In The Clouds - Paul Sutton and Victoria Aragon Fan the Grapes
- What medals are on Paul Sutton's uniform?
- Where did Paul first meet Victoria?
- Why did Victoria tell her family she had married Paul? Because she was pregnant and her lover left her.
- What happened when Paul returned home to his wife Betty?
- Does Victoria's father accept Paul when he returns to marry Victoria?
Back Street - Paul Saxon and Rae Smith
- How many movie versions of Back Street were made?
- What career did Rae Smith choose?
- How long did the affair between Paul Saxon and Rae Smith last?
- What does Rae Smith do in the end of the movie?
- What happens to Paul Saxon?
Charlie St Cloud - Charlie St Cloud and Tess Carroll
- What does Charlie get a scholarship for?
- What school did Charlie get a scholarship to?
- Which actor plays the paramedic who helps save Charlie?
- What does Charlie do everyday?
- What kind of accident was Charlie in?
Dirty Dancing - Johnny Castle and Frances "Baby" Houseman
- Who is Johnny's dancing partner?
- What happens to Penny during the movie?
- What song do Johnny and Baby dance to at the end of the movie?
- What does Baby bring to the staff party?
- Where is the resort the Houseman family is staying at?
Ghost - Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze
- Can you name the two main characters in Ghost?
- Did Patrick Swayze enjoy the pottery scene in Ghost?
- Who plays Oda Mae?
- What kind of shoe box does Molly keep Sam's stuff in?
- How does Sam die?
Out of Africa - Karen von Blixen and Denys Finch Hatton
- What is the pen name used by Karen von Blixen?
- What was grown on the farm in Africa?
- Denys gives Karen a gift, what was it?
- How did Denys die?
- What song do Denys and Karen play?
Say Anything - Lloyd Dobler and Diane Court
- What does Lloyd Dobler want to do with his life?
- Why is Diane's father under investigation...and by who?
- What is Lloyd & Diane's Song?
- Where is Diane going for the summer?
- Where does Diane's father end up living?
- What is Lloyd's sisters name and what is her husbands name?
Somewhere in Time - Richard Collier and Elise McKenna
- What is the number of the hotel room Elise stayed in?
- What is Elise McKenna's birthdate?
- What did the older Elise say to Richard Collier?
- Where was Somewhere in Time filmed?
- What was the year Arthur first came to the Grand Hotel?
- What time did Richard Collier check into the hotel?
Splendor in the Grass - Bud Stamper and Wilma Dean Loomis
Splendor in the Grass
- What actress played the part of Deanie Loomis?
- What did Bud want Deanie to do in the parlor?
- What is Bud's father's business?
- Bud left Deanie to go out with another girl, what was her name.
- A poem was read twice during this movie. The poem was named "Ode: Intimations of Immortality", who wrote it?
The Last of the Mohicans - Hawkeye and Cora Munro
- Who is Cora Munro related to?
- Is Hawkeye full brother of Uncas?
- What is the war/conflict going on during The Last of the Mohicans?
- How does Alice, Cora Munro's sister, die?
- What does Hawkeye tell Cora when they are separated?
The Notebook - Noah Calhoun and Allie Hamilton
- Noah wrote to Allie every day for a year when he was in the Army. Why didn't she ever answer him?
- Why is Allie in the hospital?
- Why did Noah's father sell his house?
- Where does Noah first see Allie?
- How long were Allie and Noah separated?
The Way We Were - Katie Morosky and Hubbell Gardinier
- Who was the first actor chosen to play Hubbell?
- Katie and Hubbell meet years after college graduation at a nightclub, how many years has it been since they've seen each other?
- Hubbell wrote a book in the movie, what was it's name?
- What did Katie have to drink at the El Morocco restaurant?
- Who did Hubbell say was Katie's hero?
- Do Katie and Hubbell have children?
Titanic - Jack Dawson and Rose DeWitt Bukater
- Who did the studio want to play Jack?
- What type of passenger was Jack?
- What was the name of the giant heart shaped blue stone?
- Both Kate Winslet and Gloria Stuart were nominated for an Academy Award. This marked a certain "first". What is that first?
- Towards the end of the movie there is a scene where Rose meets Jack on the Grand Staircase. What time did the clock read?
Romantic Movies - Which Is Your Favorite?
When Harry Met Sally - Harry Burns and Sally Albright
- What does Sally fake in Katz's Deli?
- Harry and Sally drive from Chicago to New York. How long does the trip take?
- How many times do Harry and Sally meet before they become friends?
- How long have Harry and Sally know each other when they get married?
- Name Harry and Sally's friends who get married.
Best Romantic Movies
Out of Africa
Last of the Mohicans
West Side Story - Tony and Maria
- What singer's voice was used to dub Natalie Wood?
- Name the king that was actually considered to play Tony.
- Name the two gangs that are in the movie.
- What was the name of the police officer the Jets sing a song about?
- Who kills Tony?
A Walk In The Clouds Answers
- The medals on Paul's jacket were the Bronze Star with a V for valor, and the Purple Heart.
- Paul first meet Victoria on a train.
- Victoria did not tell her family she was pregnant because she was afraid. The man who had been her lover, and the father of her child, left her. Paul was going to pretend to be married to her and then leave so her family wouldn't be angry at her.
- When Paul went home to his wife, Betty, he found her with another man,. Betty ended up giving him an annulment.
- Yes and no. Victoria's father does not accept Paul at first, but later does.
Back Street Answers
- There have been 3 versions of Back Street made. They were released in 1932, 1941, and 1961.
- The career she had always dreamed of, Rae Smith became a dress designer.
- The affair between Paul Saxon and Rae Smith lasted about 20 years.
- What does Rae Smith do in the end of the movie? In the end of the movie Rae Smith opens her doors and arms to Paul's children...they are now orphans.
- Paul Saxon is in a car crash that kills his wife, who was driving, instantly. Paul dies later from injuries sustained in that crash.
Charlie St Cloud Answers
- Charlie gets a scholarship for his skills sailing boats.
- Charlie got his sailing scholarship from Stanford.
- The actor who plays the paramedic who saves Charlie is Ray Liotta.
- Charlie promised to meet with Sam every evening and he does. He plays baseball with his younger brother.
- The car Charlie and Sam were in was broadsided by a truck.
Dirty Dancing Answers
- Johnny Castle's professional dancing partner is Penny.
- Penny is pregnant and gets an abortion.
- Johnny and Baby dance to "I Had The Time Of My Life".
- Baby carries a watermelon into the staff party.
- The resort where the Houseman family is staying is in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
- The two main characters in Ghost are Sam Wheat and Molly Jensen.
- Yes, he said it was the sexiest scene he has ever done while filming a movie.
- Oda Mae's character is played by Whoopi Goldberg.
- Molly kept Sam's stuff in a Reebok shoe box.
- Sam is killed during a mugging during which his wallet is stolen. It turns out that the mugging was planned by a co-worker of Sams to cover up a crime he had committed.
Out of Africa Answers
- Karen von Blixen wrote books using a man's name. The name was Isak Dinesen.
- Karen wanted to grow coffee on the African farm.
- Denys gave Karen a beautiful, gold pen to write her stories down with.
- Denys died in a plane crash.
- Karen and Denys play Mozart's Clarinet Concerto.
Say Anything Answers
- Lloyd Dobler wants to be a kickboxer.
- Mr. Court is under investigation by the FBI for embezzlement.
- Diane & Lloyd's song is "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel.
- Diane has a summer internship in England.
- Diane's father ends up in prison.
- Constance is Lloyd's sister and she lives with her son, her husband left her, his name is Tim.
Somewhere in Time Answers
- Elise is staying in room 117.
- Elise McKenna was born on November 11, 1885.
- Elise said only 4 words to Richard and they were "Come back to me".
- The movie was filmed on Michigan’s Mackinac Island at The Grand Hotel.
- Arthur first came to the Grand Hotel in the year 1910.
- The time when Richard Collier checked into the hotel was 9:18.
Splendor in the Grass Answers
- Natalie Wood played the part of Deanie Loomis.
- Bud wanted Deanie to kneel at his feet.
- Bud's dad is in the oil business.
- Bud left Deanie to go out with a girl named Juanita.
- "Ode: Intimations of Immortality" was written by William Wordsworth.
The Last of the Mohicans Answers
- Cora and Alice's father, Lieutenant Colonel Munro is the British commander of Fort William Henry.
- No, Hawkeye is not the natural brother of Uncas, he was adopted by Uncas' father, Chingachgook.
- The French and Indian War is what's going on during The Last of the Mohicans.
- Alice Munro, Cora's sister, kills herself by stepping off a mountain.
- Hawkeye tells Cora, " You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you! No matter how long it takes, no matter how far. I will find you!"
The Notebook Answers
- Allie never knew Noah wrote to her, even though he wrote her 365 times. Allie's mother took them before Allie ever saw them.
- Allie has dementia.
- Noah's father sold his house so Noah could buy an old, abandoned mansion on Seabrook Island, South Carolina.
- Noah first sees Allie at a carnival.
- Allie and Noah were separated for 7 years.
The Way We Were Answers
- Who was the first actor chosen to play Hubbell? The first choice for Hubbell was Warren Beatty.
- Katie and Hubbell meet years after college graduation at a nightclub, how many years has it been since they've seen each other? It has been 8 years since Hubbell and Katie have seen each other.
- Hubbell wrote a book in the movie, what was it's name? The name of Hubbell's book was "A Country Made of Ice Cream"
- What did Katie have to drink at the El Morocco restaurant? Katie had a Dubonnet over ice at the El Morocco restaurant.
- Who did Hubbell say was Katie's hero? Hubbell called Franklin Delano Roosevelt Katie's hero. Roosevelt was the 32nd President of the United States from 1933-1945.
- Do Katie and Hubbell have children? They have one child, a daughter named Rachel.
- The studio wanted Matthew McConaughey to play Jack, but James Cameron stood fast on his choice, Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Jack was is a 3rd class passenger on the Titanic.
- The blue stone in the movie, Titanic, is called the Heart of the Ocean.
- It was the first time two actors were nominated for an Oscar for playing the same person in a film. Kate played the young Rose and Gloria played the older Rose.
- The time on the clock is 2:20AM. That is the actual time the Titanic sank.
When Harry Met Sally Answers
- Sally fakes an orgasm in the scene shot in Katz's Deli.
- The trip from Chicago to New York takes 18 hours.
- It takes Harry and Sally 3 meetings before they become friends.
- Harry and Sally have known each other for 12 years and 3 months, from meeting to marriage. Sally was 21 when she met Harry and is 33 when she marries him.
- The friends who get married are Jess and Marie, played by Bruno Kirby and Carrie Fisher.
West Side Story Answers
- What singer's voice was used to dub Natalie Wood? Marnie Nixon dubbed for Natalie Wood, and she also dubbed a song for Rita Marino.
- Name the king that was actually considered to play Tony. Elvis Presley was considered for the role of Tony in West Side Story.
- Name the two gangs that are in the movie. The two gangs in West Side Story are the Sharks and the Jets.
- The police officer the Jets sing about is Officer Krupke.
- Chino kills Tony. Chino wants revenge for Bernardo's death and he was supposed to date Maria, but she fell in love with Tony instead. Typical, wonderful Romeo and Juliet plot.
WUTHERING HEIGHTS - FULL AudioBook - Dramatic Reading (Part 1 of 2) | Greatest Audio Books
Say Anything • In Your Eyes • Peter Gabriel
What Romantic Movie Are These Quotes From? Easy Q & A
- "She is like the air to me."
- "Do you know the worst part? He was trying to seduce me with champagne - domestic champagne."
- "'Any Peace But Katie's Piece'? God, you were good. You really were. You had them. You could have kept them if only you'd laughed."
- "All of you! You all killed him! And my brother, and Riff. Not with bullets, or guns, with hate. Well now I can kill, too, because now I have hate!"
- "You hurt because you're alive."
- "I'm with you because I choose to be with you. I don't want to live someone else's idea of how to live. Don't ask me to do that. I don't want to find out one day that I'm at the end of someone else's life."
- "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
- "No! You stay alive! If they don't kill you, they'll take you north up to the Huron lands. Submit, do you hear? You're strong! You survive, no matter what occurs. I will find you! No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you!"
- "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."
- "It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he’s handsome, Nelly, but because he’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and [Edgar’s] is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire."
- "A woman's heart is a deep ocean of secrets."
- " Yes... it wasn't over, it still isn't over."
- "No, mom! I'm not spoiled! I'm not spoiled mom! I'm just as fresh and virginal like the day I was born, mom!"
- " The man of my dreams has almost faded now. The one I have created in my mind. The sort of man each woman dreams of, in the deepest and most secret reaches of her heart. I can almost see him now before me. What would I say to him if he were really here? "Forgive me. I have never known this feeling. I have lived without it all my life. Is it any wonder, then, I failed to recognise you? You, who brought it to me for the first time. Is there any way that I can tell you how my life has changed? Any way at all to let you know what sweetness you have given me? There is so much to say. I cannot find the words. Except for these: I love you". Such would I say to him if he were really here."
- "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."
- " It's amazing, Molly. The love inside, you take it with you. See ya."
The Last of the Mohicans
The Quote Quiz Answers
- Paul Sutton in A Walk in the Clouds
- Rae Smith in Back Street
- Hubbell Gardiner in The Way We Were
- Maria in West Side Story
- Sam St Cloud in Charlie St Cloud
- Denys in Out of Africa
- Harry in When Harry Met Sally
- Hawkeye in The Last of the Mohicans
- Lloyd Dobler in Say Anything
- Katherine in Wuthering Heights
- Rose DeWitt Bukater in Titanic
- Noah in The Notebook
- Deanie in Splendor in the Grass
- Elise McKenna in Somewhere in Time
- Johnny Castle in Dirty Dancing
- Sam Wheat in Ghost