Charlotte is an anime series directed by Yoshiyuki Asai, which has 13 episodes in total. It was produced by P.A. Works and Aniplex. The story was originally made by Jun Maeda with original character design by Na-Ga. Jun Maeda also did the screenplay and composed some of the music for the series. Both Maeda and Na-Ga are from the visual novel brand KEY.
Long before Charlotte, Maeda had an idea of making a story with characters who are unable to control their superpowers perfectly. Thus, they had to cooperate with each other. Maeda's previous work Angel Beats! had a great impact on the process of creating Charlotte. For example, Maeda focused more on the behavior of the characters and how to reduce their numbers but still make the story interesting. Maeda realized that the main problem with Angel Beats! was having characters with overlapping personality traits and he tried not to repeat the same mistake.
At first glance, Yuu Otosaka looks like a regular boy. However, Yuu has an ability that allows him to slip into people's minds and fully control their body for 5 seconds at a time. This secret was soon discovered by Nao Tomori.
For years, Yuu used his power for selfish reasons such as getting himself into a prestigious high school. Once Nao Tomori caught him using his power, Yuu and his sister Ayumi were transferred to the academy for students with supernatural abilities. Similarly to X-Men and their school, members of the student council had a job of tracking down others who abuse their powers.
Yuu will be forced to join them and soon he will realize that his ability is more powerful than he thought at first.
A List of All Known Anime Facts about Charlotte
Konishi is a student in class 1-C. She has purple straight hair and wears a white headband. You all know her as girl who fell in love with Yuu and out of jealousy tried to kill his sister.
- Konishi is the first yandere character to be drawn in the KEY series.
- Konishi has been voted as the most hated character from Charlotte series due to accident with Ayumi Otosaka.
Sala Shane is a blind singer of the popular band called ZHIEND and she serves as a supporting character in Charlotte series. Despite not liking each other at the beginning, Yuu and Sala became good friends. Sala dreamed of becoming the front man of a band. Due to her situation, achieving this dream was more than a hard thing to do. Luckily, Sala's managed to become a star.
- One of the Charlotte fans' debates revolve around Sala and whether she previously had a superpower but lost it in the meantime. Some even believe it that that power might be the cause for her blindness, similarly to what happened to Shunsuke.
- In the opening theme of Charlotte, Bravely You, a ZHIEND poster with Sala can be seen behind Nao Tomori.
Takehito Kumagami was part of the student council and Shunsuke Otosaka's best friend. With his ability, Kumagami could locate anyone who had superpowers. While at first, it was thought that he needs to get himself soaked in water to use his power, later it was revealed that he only did it to hide his identity.
- Shunsuke Otosaka called Kumagami "Pooh". This is a reference to the famous fictional bear, Winnie the Pooh, created by A. A. Milne. Kuma means "bear" and gami means "ear".
- The first time Kumagami was shown not being wet was nearly at the end of Charlotte, in episode 9.
Ayumi Otosaka is Yuu Otosaka's younger sister. She goes to middle school. During the series, Ayumi died when she was attacked by Kanushi. This attack triggered her ability "Collapse" which made the whole building crumble down.
- You might remember Ayumi as a bad cook who adds too much pizza sauce to every dish she makes. However, she only did it to help remind Yuu of their mother. This reoccurring theme is also specific to Maeda's other projects such as Kanon and Clannad.
- Whenever you see Ayumi overly excited, what follows is her getting a nosebleed.
Jojiro Takajo is a member of the student council. His ability is to move at very fast speeds. The speed Takajo achieves makes him look like he is teleporting from one place to another. However, he didn't fully master his power which often leads to some really funny scenes of him crushing into various objects.
- Jojiro Takajo has many similarities with Takamatsu, a character from Angel Beats!. Takamatsu is a student at the afterlife school and also a member of SSS (Shinda Sekai Sensen), an organization with a goal to provoke the God in various ways.Takajo and Takamatsu even share the same voice actor.
Nao Tomori is one of the main characters of Charlotte and also a first year student. In addition, she is the president of the Student Council. Nao always has a camera recorder with her which she mostly uses to record people using their superpowers.
- According to fans, Nao Tomori greatly resembles to Leila Malcal, a secondary protagonist of Code Geass: Akito the Exiled. Their physical appearances are similar and both are presidents of their respective groups.
Yuu Otosaka is the male protagonist of Charlotte and a first year student. At first, Yuu thought that his ability is to control other people but soon he realized that he can actually steal superpowers from other users. Towards the end of Charlotte, Yuu became known as a widely feared One-Eyed Grim reaper.
- Even though Yuu stole more than a thousand abilities from other users, he still relies on his original ability of telekinesis during fights.
Rate Charlotte series!
Charlotte was the best anime of summer season 2015 in my opinion. The plot was great even though it reminded me a lot of X-Men but I still enjoyed it very much. However, I didn't like the character development nor how fast the story has ended. I believe they could have done so much more with the series.
I wrote this article as a way to thank our loyal Tumblr follower, turf-muncher, who has been supporting us for quite some time now. We asked him on which anime should we focus next to find as many anime facts as possible and his wish was to do a research on Charlotte.
I hope you enjoyed this article and that you have learned some new things about Charlotte series. Tell us which anime fact you found most interesting and what ability you would like to have in real life by leaving a comment down below!
Fact Fact no Mi (author) from Novi Sad, Serbia on April 06, 2018:
I would also recommend you Angel Beats if you haven't watched it yet. It's from the same creator who made Charlotte and is a masterpiece of its own kind :D
Wamm0 on April 05, 2018:
Charlotte was an awesome Anime to watch, So glad i found it 10/10