I admit it: I love Spongebob Squarepants, the little poriferon whose laugh is based on the noises made by a dolphin.
Though a lot of people might know who Spongebob is, what channel the show is on, and that he lives in a pineapple in Bikini Bottom, I hear that most do not understand the allure of the show, its characters, plots, and more. There are many reasons why I love the show, which I shall now share:
- Spongebob is so innocent: It's nice to take a break from the worst parts of reality to watch this show about a guy who is so naïve and will do anything for anyone, even and often beyond reason. He thinks the world of people... well, creatures... who dislike him, and he seems to miss insults made in his direction. I'm not saying these are good qualities, but I think it's charming in a cartoon adolescent.
- It makes me laugh: There have been several occasions when I would watch the show and throw my hands up in confusion, but it's great. Things don't make sense and it makes me laugh; the characters will be sitting in front of a fire and then realize they are underwater, at which time the fire will suddenly be extinguished. It's great because some characters will serve as points of sanity against which viewers may compare Spongebob's antics.
- Anything can happen: I am never disappointed by what Spongebob can achieve. The writers understand that the world is full of strange things, and take advantage of the opportunities available to them. As a children's cartoon, there are few limits to the show... it can get pretty weird, and it keeps you on your toes.
- I can watch it anytime: It's on at least four hours a day on Nickelodeon, and there have been times I've watched all four of those hours. If I'm waiting to meet someone, I watch it. I can watch it while I eat or do homework or when friends are over. It doesn't offend anyone... although my former roommate hated it, so if I turned it on, she would leave :) Thankfully it was on a lot...
- It makes me feel good when I catch things I know I wouldn't have understood as a child: You know when you watch cartoons or childhood movies years later as an adult and you finally realize what the joke meant, or your picked up on a hidden agenda you certainly didn't as a kid? That happens to me a lot, so I feel more mature and worldly when I understand something I learned in college as I watch the show. I'll do anything for self-esteem, apparently. But anyway, you can tell that creator Steve Hillenberg is a pretty smart guy (who knew his show would be so popular?), and I appreciate it.
- You can actually learn from it! Children (and maybe adults) can actually catch some of the morals involved in Spongebob (it is a kid's show, after all). It's not really violent at all; the worst I can remember is a pillow fight and stomping on Plankton.
Spongebob Squarepants Pizza Song
Best Episodes - Spongebob Squarepants
- SpongeBob.com | SpongeBob SquarePants Episodes, Games, & Pictures
- SpongeBob SquarePants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- SpongeBob Fan Club
Spongebob Squarepants Fan Club, Bulletin Board, Links & More!
to hell with SpongeBob on August 15, 2013:
I'll never love that damn Nicktoon as long as I live.
Shane Jooste on January 30, 2012:
I AM 15 YEARS OLD AND I WATCHED SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS SINCE I WAS 3YEARS OLD AND I NEVER STOPPED LOVING S.B.S.P (HIS THE BEST). THE BEST THING I LOVE OF S.B IS HIS LAUGH....
Kristy on January 11, 2012:
I love sb too, it upsets me that many parents bash the show without even truly sitting down and watching it. I know it avoid then to the point of disgust but if they could even watch some if the best episodes then maybe their minds would be changed. They should watch the first ever pilot show where sb gets his job art the krusty krab, or the episode where they perform in front if squilliam (hilarious), sigh to many good episodes to name...
Moma on March 01, 2011:
I LOVE IT
Holland on February 03, 2011:
I am 22 and I cannot imagine my world without Spongebob!
It's so hilarious!!
Crystal on October 26, 2010:
I need spongebob if i could I would be spongebobs sponge wife... in which i think they should incurr just cuz it would teach kids after all if you think about it it would be awesome to distill these morals into children.... I love spongy and would love to be spongebobs new wifes voice... oh ya... itd be awesome...
gr8st sb fan evar on April 05, 2010:
I PUT MY FACEBOOK STAT AS MARRIED TO SPONGEBOB CUZ I LOVE HIS SOOOO MUCH
glassvisage (author) from Northern California on March 22, 2010:
Thanks for your comments, everyone! He's just getting more and more bizarre :)
lola on March 21, 2010:
i think spongebob is just wonderful, the humour is so original and not lame, like most kids show humour, it doesn't make the viewer feel like an idiot, it makes the viewer realise the characters are idiots, which makes us love them more:)
Kate on March 16, 2010:
I love Spongebob too. He so cute too and funny. I watch him every day. (-^_^-)
Michigan Momma from Michigan on November 09, 2008:
I LOVE Spongbob. Me and my boys watch it everyday. I know most of the lines to most of the episodes.....I know...I know. But I can't help myself. "GRANDMA's COOKIES" "Do you mean she puts on airs?" "I guess so" "That's just fancy talk. If you want to be fancy hold your pinky out like this." "Like this" "Higher, NOW THAT'S FANCY. THEY SHOULD CALL YOU SPONGEBOB FANCY PANTS." LOL. Great Hub
Woody Marx from Ontario, Canada on June 30, 2008:
I have to put Spongebob on everyday for my budgie...and I love it too! :)
Tater2tot from ~~~ on June 30, 2008:
Haha. I like SpongeBob too! I liked that video to Eminem- Just Lose It. That is a funny song. Patrick is my favorite in this show and I also like Gary. Meow. Good hub.
Hein Marais from Ireland on June 30, 2008:
Great Hub. I love spongebob :)