Hollywood's fascination with the spiritual undead!
Ghosts have evolved on the big screen since the age of black and white films. Though right now they may not be as popular as Zombies and Vampires, the paranormal is on the rise.
Here are my favorite Ghosts from the movies. Most are scary and possessed by vengeance or evil, but some are kind or even helpful. One was an innocent bystander who had no idea that he even was a ghost.
Who almost made it?
The Juggernaut- The unstoppable force in The 13 Ghosts (the 2001 version). The huge nasty white ghost from the junk yard was a mass murderer of 9. And that was before he crossed over to the other side!
and Blake from the Fog 1980. John Carpenter's relentless pirate, bent on retrieving what was his, terrified Jamie Lee Curtis and millions of others! He had a special stash that no one should touch. If you do and he returns, you will enter the fog, but return you won't! Hal Holbrook was good in this as well.
The Ghoul from Ghost Story 1981. She was twisted and vengeful, like a good ghost should be!
The 13 that make our skin crawl!
13. Slimer- From Ghost Busters. Bill Murray, and Dan Ackroyd want to bring him back for GB3.We will see.
12. The Headless Lion Tamer- From the 13 Ghosts 1960. His scenes were loud and intense with the lion's roars and the trainer's whip. He was a great creation for this ground breaking classic.
11. Mrs and Mrs Kirby- Carey Grant and Joan Bennett were friendly ghosts in Topper.
10. The Librarian- From Ghostbuster's, she was awesome and terrifying. Make sure you don't talk in her library!
9. The Candyman- From the pre-Civil War days, a determined spirit would not rest. He not only sought revenge, but souls to possess, and take his place.
8.Amanda Krueger f rom a Nightmare on Elm Street. She became a nun and devoted her life to Christ. As Sister Mary Helena, she was accidentally locked in an asylum for the criminally insane where she was brutally raped by the inmates. She became pregnant for Freddy Krueger, "The twisted son of 100 madmen". She later came back as a ghost and helped plan her evil son's demise.
7. The twin sisters from The Shining-
Sure, they were harmless and seemed to be quite innocent, but that made them less creepy? Certainly not!
The Sixth Sense
The scary six!
6. Beatlejuice- The "Ghost with the Most". He was rude, crude and disgusting, but movie goers loved him! I hope that the rumors about number 2 coming out are true! This character seemed to spring board Michael Keaton's career.
5. Poltergiese- From the movie with the same name. In 1982, a powerful force rocked movie goers from all dimensions.
4. Dr. Malcolm Crow (Bruce Willis) and his fellow Ghosts from The 6th Sense. The movie was as creepy as they come and had one of the 10 best endings in Hollywood's history!
3. Large Marge from Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Yes it was a crazy comedy, but she was awesome and creepy! "On this very night 10 years ago ...an old crazy truck driver was pulled from the burning,twisted, wreck. It was the worst accident I ever seen!" Tell them this Halloween, that Large Marge sent ya!
2.Samara from The Ring The little girl who would kill to be loved! Her hair and face freaked out everyone who watched the video. By the way, if you are the next to watch her video, it will be your last!
1. The Trinity of Ghosts from The Christmas Carol. I could not separate the three of these specters.After all, they were kindred spirits that all had the same purpose and mission, in this great Christmas Classic!
Sorry to all of the Casper fans who were hoping to see him!
Ghastly links and blogs-Get a Large Marge Shirt!
- Ghostbusters- A review to celebrate it's 30th Anniversary
The original Ghost busters turns 30 years old! This was a great classic that broke from the norm and was a gigantic hit. Do you remember the great one liners, the music, and the suspense? What were yo
- Large Marge Sent Me | Shirtoid
- The 13 best Zombie movies ever!
Zombie movies are among the most popular in the horror genre. See where I ranked your favorites!
- The 13 scariest movies ever!
13 terrifying tales! Halloween Night will never be the same!
- The 13 best Sci Fi Movies ever!
What are the best Science Fiction movies of all time? Why did Star Wars get left off?
Remember those old shows that creeped you out or left you thinking? I do! Here are the best 13!
- The 10 best Creatures in the movies
10. The Thing, from John Carpenter's imagination- Kurt Russel and David Kieth battle a nasty little parasite from outer space.One of the grossest creatures from Hollywood! 9. Predator- In the hottest of...
- The 12 best Twilight Zone Episodes ( The Old Black and Whites)
A Spoiler free list! I am not going to say too much about each episode so the ending isn't spoiled. All of these can now be purchased. This show was a gem in the mud known as T.V. Land! Those I left out- I...
MikeSyrSutton (author) from An uncharted galaxy on October 13, 2014:
Thanks! Samara was unusual and freaky!
Brianna W from East Coast on October 13, 2014:
I love all Freddy Kreuger movies. But I have to say, that Samara chick from The Ring always freaked me out!
MikeSyrSutton (author) from An uncharted galaxy on February 11, 2011:
I forget which sequel it was, but Amanda Kruger came back as a nun in the graveyard, and told the story to those hunted by her son.
I also love Large Marge!She was in the worst accident I ever seen! LOL
CooperScape from Albany, NY on January 27, 2011:
Now I know How Freddy Krueger came into the world--How horrible...The mind that thinks these things up. The Ring kept me on the edge of my seat. I never saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. The Sixth Sense comes up on everyone's list of strangely fascinating movies...I'd love to see it again tonight. Great Hub entertainment!
Lady Liberty from These United States, Texas on January 27, 2011:
I loved the sixth sense. Truely well written and other than Willis' occassional smirk, he was very good in it.
Rhonda Musch from The Emerald Coast on January 26, 2011:
Hi. Now Pee Wee's Big Adventure is more my speed. I really enjoyed this movie. This was a truly interesting hub. Great job. Have a nice day.
Sweet wishes Rhonda
Rob from Oviedo, FL on January 26, 2011:
Glad Large Marge made the list. I thought Tim Burton's "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" was hilarious.
My favorite movie ghosts were Mr. & Mrs. Kirby (Cary Grant and Constance Bennet) from "Topper".