Nyesha loves writing about cooking/recipes, restaurants, movies, weddings, and poetry.
Movie Review of The LEGO Batman Movie
The LEGO Batman Movie – (2017 Movie) – Movie Review
The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) is funny, action packed, adventurous and teaches life lessons as well. The plot of The LEGO Batman Movie centers around the characters of Batman and the Joker, especially. This hub is a movie review of The LEGO Batman Movie.
In The LEGO Batman Movie, the Joker is vying for Batman’s attention and he enjoys telling Batman that he knows that he is Batman’s biggest enemy. Batman is intent on not giving the Joker the satisfaction of thinking that. In The LEGO Batman Movie, Batman lets the Joker know that for him to be his biggest enemy, he would actually have to care about him and he does not care about him at all.
In The LEGO Batman Movie, Batman literally makes the Joker cry! The Joker says okay, I’m done with you. I have been wasting my time investing in being your biggest enemy and you don’t even care!
The banter in the dialogue between the movie characters of Batman and the Joker in The LEGO Batman Movie explores the nuances of how a relationship between enemies is still a relationship. While it is not a love relationship, it is a hate relationship and it still takes time and energy to be invested in it and care.
- Batman wants to say that he does NOT “do relationships” of any kind!
- Batman makes it clear that he really does not care about anyone. So we are left to consider: dang, Batman is so self-absorbed!
Lobster Thermidor is Batman's favorite food in The LEGO Batman Movie
In The LEGO Batman Movie, there are lots of things that Batman says that might go over the head of the little kids watching The LEGO Batman Movie but the parents that watch the movie with the kids will get it. It’s quite interesting the way The LEGO Batman Movie delves into the psychology of Batman and goes on to imply that his losing his parents at a young age and becoming an orphan might contribute to the kind of attitude that he has in his adult life.
Like the LEGO Movie, The LEGO Batman Movie is comprised of animated characters that are made of Legos. The community of people reside in Gotham city, also made of Legos. The Joker is trying to take over the city and Batman, disguised as the female mayor of the city steps in to help bring vigilante justice.
- Batman later goes home to regroup and enjoy a delicious dinner of lobster thermidor that his butler, Alfred has prepared.
- Lobster thermidor is Batman's favorite meal.
- Batman reheats the dinner that Alfred gave him and sets the microwave for too much time (something that we all do sometimes), 20 minutes, before readjusting it for two minutes.
- He stands directly in front of the microwave to wait for his food to heat and it will just make you feel like saying, “No, Batman, Don’t stand directly in front of the microwave while it’s on. That’s not healthy for you!”
Jerry Maguire in The LEGO Batman Movie
In The LEGO Batman Movie, Batman walks around his massive home feeling sentimental while looking at the family photos wall of framed pictures of him with his parents.
- We get a window into how Batman spends his time when he is not fighting justice in the streets.
- Batman actually loves to watch romantic movies and ridicule them as comedy.
- Batman sits in his home movie theater and laughs hysterically while a scene from the movie Jerry Maguire, starring Tom Cruise and Renee Zellweger plays.
- When Batman is not out in the community as a vigilante superhero in a bat costume, his alter ego is Bruce Wayne, notoriously dapper and handsome looking for his age. That is the running joke.
Alfred convinces Batman / Bruce Wayne that he must make an appearance at Gotham City’s Police Commissioner’s retirement party. Batman /Bruce Wayne makes a big dramatic protest of “No, no, no!” He does not want to go until he finally agrees to do so and puts on a little fashion show while deciding what to wear for the event.
He is driven to the event with Alfred as his chauffer. Alfred insists that Batman / Bruce Wayne cannot wear the Batman face mask to the event and Batman finally takes off the mask to reveal Bruce Wayne on the way to the party.
Jerry Maguire the movie - "You complete me."
Jerry Maguire - "You had me at 'Hello'" full scene
Jerry Maguire the movie
Batman and the new Police Commissioner Barbara in The LEGO Batman Movie
The new police commissioner in The Lego Batman movie
In The LEGO Batman Movie, as the retiring police commissioner says his goodbyes in a speech to the community of folks attending the large party, his daughter named Barbara Gordon takes the stage and is introduced as the new police commissioner.
Just as the crowd might be mumbling “nepotism, much?”, a big montage is presented in a slide show to demonstrate that the new police commissioner, the retiring police commissioner’s daughter is very well qualified in her own right. Gee, she went to “Harvard for Police”! This made the movie audience giggle while she went on to badmouth Batman. The city no longer needs an aging vigilante hero, she says. Bruce Wayne is listening to the speech and is stunned. His feelings are definitely hurt.
Barbara Gordon wants to encourage Batman to team up with the police force and deliver justice the right way, with order and within the law. Bruce Wayne scoffs at this idea.
It isn’t long before the Joker and many other villains known to terrorize the city crash the party but get this – The Joker makes it seem like he is there to surrender to authorities. The Joker and all of these other villains / criminals are basically presented to the police force in a massive gift box.
In The LEGO Batman Movie, as the Joker and other villains are hauled off to prison, the people of the Gotham city community have a big party and chant, “No more crime, no more crime!” They begin to feel confident that the new police commissioner is right. - There really is no need for Batman now.
Batman is interviewed and asked, “What will he do with all his free time now. Will he want to spend more time with his family?” A sulky look of bewilderment comes across Batman’s face as he is reminded that he is a single guy without a family in terms of wife and children and his own parents have passed away. Alfred is the only person that he resides with and Alfred has become like a father figure in many ways.
No more crime! No more crime!
— The people of Gotham City when The Joker and other villians are sent to prison in LEGO Batman Movie
Adventures galore in The LEGO Batman Movie
In The LEGO Batman Movie, Batman has a lot of difficulty accepting that his vigilante justice services are no longer needed. Saving the people in the community when they are in danger has always made him feel needed. The thank you’s and praise that he received from them always made him feel like a rock star. He would visit the orphanage and give the children Batman logo souvenirs and paraphernalia as well as a sarcastic pep talk about how they can be just like him when they grow up. They would definitely have to work on their abs, he says (Batman doesn’t even have a six pack, he has a nine pack).
- Batman cannot accept that he is no longer needed regularly and he goes to the prison / asylum where the Joker is being held and scopes it out.
- The new police commissioner notices Batman there and asks him what he doing there.
- They talk a bit and concede that the Joker is up to something.
- The Joker did not just surrender just like that. What is really going on?
A lot of adventure ensues but not before Alfred tells Batman that with his newly found free time, he should spend more time with his son. Batman basically says, what now?! He tells Alfred, “I literally have no idea what you are talking about.”
Alfred tells Batman that he adopted an orphan at an event and shows the camera footage of his son playing around in the massive expanse of Batman/ Bruce Wayne’s home.
Batman agrees to spend time with the kid and warms up to him eventually. He starts with telling him not to touch any of his gadgets but eventually allows the kid to don his own costume and become his sidekick, Robin.
I literally have no idea what you are talking about.
— Batman when Alfred initially encourages Batman to spend more time with his son.
Instagram Promo for The LEGO Batman Movie
Ok, the Joker has Batman's attention in The LEGO Batman Movie
In The LEGO Batman Movie, It takes a large team of Batman, Robin, Alfred, the new police commissioner and other superheroes to thwart the Joker’s plans to destroy Gotham City. Batman, who always use to say, “I work alone” becomes more open to accepting help.
With all the bonding that occurs, a family photo of Batman, his platonic friend the new female police commissioner, Alfred and Robin is eventually added to the family photo wall at Batman’s home.
A large series of adventures occur in The Lego Batman Movie but it is in the ending scenes that we see that it seems that the city could not be saved after all. Gotham City is going down as Batman quickly comes up with the idea for all the people in the community at large to link together as the Legos that they are and build bridges to bring the land of the city back together and save it from destruction.
In an interesting twist, Batman must convince the Joker himself that his help is needed too. The Joker and all of the villains on the other side must also band together and make links to form a bridge.
- The pep talk that Batman gives the Joker to convince him that his help is needed includes saying that if there is no Gotham City left, how will Batman and the Joker continue to fight?
- If there is no home left, no Gotham City left to save, then Batman and the Joker will truly stop being enemies.
- In The LEGO Batman Movie, the Joker is convinced to help save the city so that he can continue to terrorize it in the future, giving the horrible villain’s life some sense of purpose.
- In The LEGO Batman Movie, the good guys and the bad guys teaming up together does in fact save the city of Gotham and everyone celebrates.
- Batman and the Joker confirm that they do hate each other and look forward to hating each other and fighting with each other in the future.
The Lego Batman Movie ends with lots of music. Batman’s life seems to have a big music playlist.
Batman, Robin, Alfred and the police commissioner, Barbara enjoy a family style dinner together at a dining table, eating lobster thermidor.
Among the songs played at the end of the movie includes a song with the theme about the possibility of friends being just like family.
The LEGO Batman Movie trailer
The LEGO Batman Movie is rated PG.
Among many, voice actors include Will Arnett as Batman and Micheal Cera as Robin.
The LEGO Batman Movie
© 2018 Nyesha Pagnou MPH