Skip to main content

The Entertainers and Inspirations We Lost in December

Nathan is a film critic and aspiring author with a true passion for the film industry who hopes his writings will help launch his career.


When the people who inspire and entertain us pass away, it's like we've lost a member of our own family. These remarkable people will live on in our hearts and minds as we introduce the new generations to the legacies they left behind.


December 10, 1978 - Ed Wood

Ed Wood was born, much to the disappointment of his mother. She had always wanted a daughter and, although she loved her son, she was still lost in her fantasy. She would often dress up little Ed as a girl just to keep her fantasy alive. This led to Ed growing up as a crossdresser because he became infatuated with the feel of angora on his skin.

As a child, Ed became interested in performing arts and pulp fiction. He collected comics, pulp magazines, and absolutely loved Western and occult films. He would skip school to go see movies at his local theater and would collect anything involving films from the theater trash cans to add to his collection.

On his 12th birthday, Ed received a Kodak Cine Special movie camera as a gift. His first piece of footage was of the Hindenburg passing over the Hudson River just minutes before its crash. A few years later, Ed got a job as an usher at the theater he so loved and even formed his own quartet called Eddie Wood's Little Splinters, playing multiple instruments for the band.

In 1942, a few months after the Pearl Harbor attacks, Ed enlisted in the Marine Corps. He was assigned to the 2nd Defense Battalions and reached the rank of Corporal. During WWII, he lost two front teeth after being hit in the face by a Japanese soldier's rifle butt and he was also shot several times in the leg by a machine gunner. He was honorably discharged after the war ended and, in 1947, he moved to Hollywood to break into showbiz. He began writing scripts and directing television pilots, commercials, and micro-budget westerns. In 1948, Ed wrote, produced, directed, and starred in Casual Company which was based on his time in the military.

In 1952, Ed was introduced to the aging and nearly-forgotten Bela Lugosi. Bela was at the point of his career where he couldn't refuse work and had to take anything he could in order to keep his bills paid. While most sources say that Wood and Lugosi became close friends, Lugosi's son was adamant that Ed exploited his stardom and took advantage of him. Either way, it was apparent that Ed was a huge help to him. Bela had become addicted to morphine as a way of controlling his extreme sciatica pain. Many people close to the two men have said in interviews that Ed helped Bela through his depression and addiction and in many ways brought meaning back into his life.

Also in 1952, he met actress and songwriter Dolores Fuller. The two lived together for a while and she was even cast in three of his films. The two broke up in 1955 after Ed cast another woman in Bride of the Monster and only gave Fuller a one minute cameo. While making Bride of the Monster, Ed married Norma McCarty. The marriage was annulled the very next year. He married officially for the second time in 1959 to Kathy O'Hara. They remained married for the rest of Ed's life. Kathy didn't mind Ed's need to crossdress and helped him feel comfortable about it. He became so comfortable that he'd sometimes go out as his female alter ego Shirley. Kathy stated in Wood's biography that his transvestism was a neomaternal comfort and nothing sexual. As a child, he was dressed up by a mom that wanted a daughter, not a son. So Ed most likely developed a need to crossdress in order to feel accepted or wanted by his mother, even after her passing.

Over the years, critics and audiences alike panned his films and hated on him constantly. By 1978, he had fallen into a deep depression and he and Kathy had both become alcoholics. One afternoon, Ed felt ill and went to bed. He asked Kathy to bring him a drink which Kathy refused to do because she had grown tired of him bossing her around. He screamed "I can't breathe" and, by the time Kathy got to him, he had died of a heart attack.Later, when Kathy was asked about his death, she said, "I still remember when I went into that room that afternoon and he was dead, his eyes and mouth were wide open. I'll never forget the look in his eyes. He clutched at the sheets. It looked like he'd seen hell."

Ed's body was cremated and his remains were scattered at sea.


December 15, 1966 - Walt Disney

Born the fourth of five children, Walt Disney lived in Canada for the first four years of his life. At the age of four, the Disney family moved to a farm in Missouri. Walt's uncle Robert had purchased that land. Walt developed an interest in drawing when he was paid to draw the retired neighborhood doctor's horse. Walt's father Elias was a subscriber to the Appeal to Reason newspaper so Walt would practice his drawing by copying the pictures on the front page. He furthered his learning and developed skills with watercolors and crayons. The Disney family moved around a lot, going from Atchison to Topeka and to Santa Fe. He developed a love for trains as each of these cities had train stations.

In 1911, the Disneys moved to Kansas City. There, Walt attended Benton Grammar School. He met fellow student Walter Pfeiffer who came from a family of theatre fans. He introduced him to vaudeville and films. It wasn't long before Disney started spending more time at the Pfeiffer home than at his own.

Elias Disney purchased a newspaper route for The Kansas City Star and Kansas City Times. Walt and his brother Roy woke up at 4:30 every morning and delivered the Times then after school delivered the Star. Walt's grades started slipping and he often fell asleep in class because of exhaustion. Regardless, he kept doing the paper routes for 6 years. He attended Saturday courses at the Kansas City Art Institute and also took a course in cartooning.

In 1917, the Disney family moved back to Chicago after Elias bought stock in jelly producer O-Zell. Walt enrolled in McKinley High School and became the cartoonist for the school newspaper, mostly drawing patriotic pictures about World War I. He also took night courses at the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts.

In 1918, Walt attempted to join the Army but was rejected for being too young. He forged his birth date on his birth certificate and drove an ambulance for the Red Cross. He was shipped to France. He drew cartoons on the side of his ambulance for decoration, some of his work being published in the army newspaper Stars & Stripes. In late 1919, Walt returned to Kansas City where he worked as an apprentice artist at the Pesmen-Rubin Art Studio where he drew commercial illustrations for advertisements, theater programs, and catalogs.

After going between jobs at several near-bankrupt companies, Walt and his brother Roy formed the Disney Brothers Corporation which would one day become The Walt Disney Company. Walt hired friend Ub Iwerks and ink artist Lillian Bounds. Walt and Lillian married the same year he hired her. She had very little interest in his work or films and was content with being a housewife. They adopted a daughter and also had a daughter of their own.

In 1926, Disney and Iwerks partnered with producer Charles Mintz, a relationship that was strained from day one. Disney and Iwerks created Oswald the Lucky Rabbit which was distributed through Universal Pictures. By 1928, Disney and Mintz came to a standoff. Disney wanted to renegotiate higher payments and Mintz wanted to lower payments. The two parted ways and Disney almost lost everything.

Walt didn't give up, creating the infamous Mickey Mouse. He was originally to be named Mortimer Mouse but his wife Lillian thought the name Mortimer was too pompous and suggested Mickey. He liked her idea and went with it. Iwerks took Disney's early drawings and improved them to make the character easier to animate. Walt voiced Mickey until 1947. The first two screen testings flopped but the third was a success. Disney signed a contract with Universal to use the Cinephone recording system. Disney soon hired Carl Stalling, who helped to improve the quality of the music used in the animations. Walt approached Universal, asking for larger profits for the cartoons. Universal refused but signed Iwerks to work for them. Stallings resigned, convinced that without Iwerks the Disney Studio would close. Walt had a nervous breakdown in 1931 so he and his wife took a vacation to Cuba and a Panama cruise to calm down (the kids wouldn't come in the picture until 1933 and 1936).

Scroll to Continue

When Walt returned, he decided to sign with Columbia Pictures. The Mickey Mouse cartoons became popular once again, even internationally. Disney Studios filmed Flowers and Trees completely in Technicolor and negotiated a deal giving him the sole right to use Technicolor through 1935. Disney won the Academy Award for Best Short Subject (Cartoon) for Flowers and Trees. He was actually nominated for two films that year, the other being Mickey's Orphans. He also received an Honorary Award for the creation of Mickey Mouse. In 1933, Disney won yet another Academy Award for the animated short The Three Little Pigs. Disney soon separated his story department and animation department so that they could tell emotionally gripping stories through their cartoons.

Disney invested $1.5 million and four years on a project that many people referred to as 'Disney's Folly'. By the time Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs premiered in 1937, it garnered high praise from critics and audiences alike, pulling in a total of $6.5 million which made it the most successful sound film to that date. Disney started work on Pinocchio and Fantasia, both films releasing in 1940. They both flopped, not because of the films themselves but because revenues from Europe had dropped drastically due to WWII. By February of 1941, the company was heavily in debt. The financial crisis caused Disney to start the company's first stock offering and started cutting salaries. Disney could be insensitive towards his staff at times. Combine that with the salary cuts and that equals an animators' strike. Several animators left the studio and his relationship with his remaining staff was permanently strained after that. Because of the strike, Dumbo was filmed simply and inexpensively, though it still gained high praise.

When the US entered WWII, Disney formed the Walt Disney Training Films Unit which produced military instruction videos. Disney also met with the Secretary of Treasury and agreed to produce Donald Duck cartoons in order to promote and sell war bonds.

After Bambi underperformed, Disney found himself in a $4 million debt with Bank of America. The bank agreed to give them an extension, but unfortunately the competition got tougher when MGM and Warner Brothers started producing their own animations. Disney moved to live action for 8 years and made a comeback in 1950 with Cinderella. Disney continued making more live-action films and animated films. Disney began focusing more on live-action, entrusting the animation department to its key animators. Disney was present for storyline meetings but that was all the input he gave.

In 1952, Disney hired a small group of designers and engineers to work on plans to build a park on property he purchased in Anaheim. After two years of careful research, the park began construction in 1954 and Disneyland opened in 1955. The opening was broadcast on ABC, reaching 70 million viewers. Disneyland received 20,000 visitors a day, reaching 3.6 million visitors by the end of its first year. After seeing how much more profits TV ads brought in, Disney decided to invest in making TV shows. The movies, park, and shows made Disney a huge success.

In 1966, Walt was diagnosed with lung cancer. Ten days after his 65th birthday, Disney collapsed, dying of circulatory collapse. Years later, Roy finally made Walt's dream of Epcot a reality. Walt Disney still holds the record for most Academy Award nominations (59) and wins (22).


December 25, 1977 - Charlie Chaplin

Charlie Chaplin's young years were filled with absolute agony. Charlie's parents separated in 1891 and his mother got involved with music hall entertainer Leo Dryden. The two had a son but Leo took him and he was not seen by the Chaplins for another 30 years. Charlie and his brother Sydney lived with their mother Hannah in the London district of Kennington. Hannah nursed and made dresses but otherwise had no other source of income. The family lived in poverty and Charlie's father provided no financial support. Charlie was sent to the Lambeth Workhouse at 7 years old. He was able to see his mother nearly two years later only to be sent right back. The workhouses arranged for the Chaplin boys to attend schools for paupers and destitute children.

In September of 1898, Hannah developed a form of psychosis brought on by syphilis and malnutrition. With her being committed to an insane asylum, the young Chaplin boys were sent to live with their father. By then, he was a severe alcoholic and life with him was bad enough to provoke a visit from the NSPCC, the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Sydney enrolled in the Navy, leaving Charlie alone with him. Their father died two years later from cirrhosis of the liver.

Hanna went into remission but in 1903 she became ill again. She was recommitted, forcing the now teenage Charlie to roam the streets for food. Sydney returned from the Navy not long after and helped Charlie survive. Their mother was released after 8 months but in 1905 was recommitted yet again, this time for life.

While Charlie was growing up being bounced around from workhouse to school to workhouse, he took an interest in performing. He became a member of the Eight Lancashire Lads clog-dancing troupe with which he toured England throughout 1899 and 1900. He worked hard but was unsatisfied and wished to form a comedy act. He abandoned education at the age of 13 and supported himself with small jobs while pursuing acting. At age 14, he secured a role in a play but it was unsuccessful, leading to Charlie having to live on the street until Sydney came back.

Charlie got a role in the play Sherlock Holmes in which he played Billy the pageboy in three nationwide tours. His performance was so well-received that he was brought to London to perform alongside William Gillette, the original Holmes. After 2 and a half years performing the show, he moved on.

In 1906, he and Sydney went on tour together in a comedy sketch called Repairs. Charlie joined the juvenile act Casey's Circus where he developed burlesque pieces and was soon the star of the show. By the time the act finished its tour in 1907, Charlie was 18 and an established performer. He struggled to find work afterwards and his brief attempt at a solo act was a failure.

Sydney Chaplin, on the other hand, had joined a prestigious comedy company in 1906 and was a star performer by 1908. He managed to get Charlie a two-week trial and, after just one performance, was quickly contracted. He started with small roles and within a year had snagged the lead in Jimmy the Fearless in 1910. It was a huge success and Charlie received major press attention. The tour lasted 21 months, ending in 1912. A new tour began a few months later in October.

Six months into the second tour, the New York Motion Picture Company reached out to Charlie and asked him to join the film industry. They intended for him to make films with Keystone Studios based in Los Angeles. He agreed and, in 1913, signed a contract for $150 per week.

His film debut was in Making a Living, a picture that Charlie personally disliked but critics loved. For his second film, he organized his own costume and created a new character, one that wouldn't be made famous until Kid Auto Races at Venice. He adopted the character as his on-screen appearance, naming him "The Tramp". During his 11th film, he clashed with the director and was almost released from his contract. More Chaplin films were ordered, however, and Charlie was kept. He requested to direct his next film and even offered to pay out $1,500 to the studio if the film was unsuccessful. The film was highly successful and, as a result, Chaplin directed almost all of his films for Keystore thereafter, roughly one per week. After the success of his first full-length film, Chaplin's contract was up for renewal. He requested a pay raise of $1,000 a week but was denied because it was deemed too large. The Essanay Film Corporation in Chicago offered him $1,250 a week with a signing bonus of $10,000 plus creative control of his films. He took the deal.

When his contract with Essanay was up, Charlie, fully aware of his popularity, requested a $150,000 signing bonus from his next studio. The best offer came from Mutual Film Corporation which gave him his signup bonus and $670,000 per year.

Charlie's films became less frequent but still garnered much success. He started up a relationship with 16 year old Mildred Harris and, after claiming she was pregnant, they married secretly to avoid controversy. The pregnancy turned out to be a false alarm. She became pregnant later on and gave birth to their son. Sadly, he was malformed and died after three days. The marriage ended in 1920. Losing his son inspired one of his best films, The Kid. The film Chaplin felt was his best film, however, was The Gold Rush which released in 1925. During filming, he married Lita Grey. Just like his first marriage, Lita was a 16 year-old actress whose pregnancy announcement forced Chaplin into marriage. He was 35 years old and under California law could have been charged with statutory rape. The two married in secret in Mexico. They had two children together. The marriage was unhappy and Charlie would spend long hours at the studio to avoid seeing Lita. Divorce inevitably followed and Lita went to the press and accused Charlie of infidelity, abuse, and harboring perverted sexual desires. The press had a field day, causing Charlie to have a nervous breakdown. He ended up having to pay her $600,000. Although his fan base was strong enough to save his career, Charlie was deeply affected.

After City Lights, movies had left behind the silent era and moved into the age of "talkies". Charlie took a 16-month break and travelled. He met Paulette Goddard in 1932 and the two began a relationship. He returned and made another silent film titled Modern Times which was a study on the state of America at the time. The film didn't do well at the box office, but critics praised it. Charlie went through yet another divorce in 1942, citing incompatibility.

Charlie began embracing "talkies" and used them to express his political beliefs. In The Great Dictator, he satirised Hitler and made a mockery of fascism. The film itself was a huge money-maker but the ending still sparked major controversy. He spent the entire film using comedy to make light of fascism, but then the last 5 minutes was a serious speech delivered by Chaplin, pleading against war. The film received five Academy Award nominations.

Over the next several years, Charlie's fame declined as he fought one legal battle after another. Some accused his political activism as pushing Communism. He was suspected heavily by the FBI and his fanbase slowly began turning on him when he refused to apply for American citizenship. During the many lawsuits brought against him by former flames and the FBI, he married Oona O'Neill. They remained married until his death and had 8 children together. He was eventually banned from the United States. The Chaplin family settled down in Switzerland. He made only a handful more films and received knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II. His health deteriorated and he died of a stroke in his sleep on Christmas Day.

In March the following year, two unemployed immigrants dug up Chaplin's grave and held his body for ransom. Oona would not give in to the ransom and, two months later, the two men were caught and Chaplin's body recovered. It was reburied and surrounded by reinforced concrete.


December 27, 2016 - Carrie Fisher

Carrie Fisher was two years old when parents Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds divorced. Her father remarried to actress Connie Stevens with whom he had Carrie's two half-sisters Joely Fisher and Tricia Leigh Fisher. In 1960, her mother remarried to Harry Karl who was the owner of a chain of shoe stores. The two divorced when Carrie was 17.

Carrie was a major bookworm, spending her early years reading classic literature and poetry. She attended Beverly Hills High School until age 15. She dropped out in order to appear as a debutante and singer in the Broadway show Irene alongside her mother. She applied to a couple drama schools but dropped out of both.

At age 18, Carrie made her film debut as the seductive Lorna Karpf in Shampoo. In 1977, Carrie got her big break in the ultimate sci-fi film Star Wars: A New Hope. At the time, she thought George Lucas's script was fantastic but kept it to herself thinking no one else would agree with her. She and costar Harrison Ford dated for 3 months but the relationship ended just as quickly as it started. While filming, she met singer Paul Simon and the two began dating. Carrie did a few TV specials, one of which being the widely hated Star Wars Holiday Special. During this time, she and Paul broke up for a brief time period and, while Carrie was filming The Blues Brothers, she and Dan Aykroyd became an item. Dan proposed to her but she turned him down and returned to Paul. In 1980, Carrie reprised her role of Princess Leia in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. By this time, she had become very close with costars Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford. The trio returned in 1983 for the final film in the trilogy Return of the Jedi.

Carrie and Paul Simon married from 1983 to 1984, but the two divorced and started dating again after their divorce. The two eventually separated for good.

In 1987, Carrie wrote her first novel Postcards from the Edge which was a semi-autobiographical novel. The novel itself was fiction and satirical but it was also a "confession" of sorts about her drug addiction and her relationship with her mother. It became a bestseller and won the Los Angeles Pen Award for Best First Novel.

Throughout the 90s, Carrie had smaller roles in films and focused more on writing, publishing Surrender the Pink and Delusions of Grandma. She also wrote an episode of Roseanne (an episode that guest starred her mother) and also assisted in the scripts for Lethal Weapon 3, Outbreak, The Wedding Singer, and Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot. She had a relationship with Bryan Lourd. The two had a daughter together named Billie Lourd. The two broke up when Bryan discovered he was gay.

In the 2000s, she continued taking small parts in films such as Scream 3 and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. She continued focusing on writing, however, working on a few of the scripts for episodes in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

In February of 2005, lobbyist R. Greg Stevens was found dead in Carrie's California home. The cause of death was a pre-existing heart disease mixed with cocaine, oxycodone, and chronic. Carrie stated in later interviews that Stevens' ghost haunted her mansion which drove her back to drug use. She cleaned up early in 2006 and wrote and performed her one-woman play Wishful Drinking. The show toured for 4 years.

She attended interviews on 20/20 and The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive in which she came out publicly with her bipolar disorder and drug use. She confessed that she used to be addicted to cocaine and prescription medications because the drugs dialed down her disorder and made her feel normal. She also revealed that she even had electroconvulsive therapy treatments every 6 weeks until 2014 to "blow apart the cement in her brain". She finally started receiving real therapy and got off the drugs.

While on a flight on December 23, 2016, Carrie suffered cardiac arrest 15 minutes before the plane landed. She was rushed to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center where she was on a ventilator for four days. She died on December 27.


December 28, 2016 - Debbie Reynolds

Born Mary Frances Reynolds, Debbie was the daughter of a loving couple. She stated in later interviews that her family was very poor, but they always had something to eat. She said her father would never let them grow hungry, "even if he had to go out into the desert to shoot jackrabbits".

In 1939, her family moved to Burbank, California. While a 16 year old student in 1948, she entered and won a beauty contest and was seen by talent scouts from Warner Brothers and MGM. A scout from each company flipped a coin to see who got her. Soon after, Warner Brothers signed her to a contract and Jack Warner gave her the nickname "Debbie". She stayed with WB for two years, but when the company stopped producing musicals, Debbie moved to MGM. She absolutely loved making musicals, making regular appearances throughout the 1950s and had several hit records. Her song "Aba-Daba-Honeymoon" featured in Two Weeks with Love was the first soundtrack recording to top-chart gold record, hitting number 3 on the Billboard charts. Her performance in the film impressed the studio which led to her nabbing a co-starring role in Singin' in the Rain.

In 1955, she married Eddie Fisher. The two had daughter Carrie in 1956 and son Todd in 1958. The two divorced in 1959 when Eddie had an affair with Elizabeth Taylor. The scandal went public, ending Eddie's TV show.

In 1960, Debbie married billionaire businessman Harry Karl. She also became the leader of a Girl Scout Troop and would not work at the studio on Fridays for that purpose. Her 13 year-old daughter Carrie and stepdaughter Tina Karl were members of her troop. In the late 60s, while traveling on the ocean liner Queen Elizabeth, Elizabeth Taylor happened to be on board and the two women made amends. Debbie's husband Harry started gambling and made some bad investments. The two divorced when Debbie realized his addiction was more important to him than she was.

She continued making appearances in both film and television, even appearing in the Broadway play Irene alongside her daughter Carrie. Debbie continued making Broadway productions throughout the 70s and 80s.She married real estate developer Richard Hamlett in 1984 and the two divorced in 1996. Debbie had made a couple bad investments of her own in the 90s and was forced to declare bankruptcy in 1997. She didn't let that stop her, however, bouncing back with a guest star role on Will & Grace and voiced the grandmother on Rugrats. She co-starred with Elizabeth Taylor and Shirley MacLaine in These Old Broads, a TV movie written by Carrie Fisher.

The day after her daughter Carrie Fisher passed away, Debbie suffered a severe stroke and died in the hospital. Her official cause of death was an intracerebral hemorrhage with hypertension as a contributing factor. Son Todd Fisher stated on 20/20 that his mother had joined his sister in death because Debbie "didn't want to leave Carrie and did not want her to be alone".

Other Notable Deaths

December 1

  • 1866 - George Everest
  • 1973 - David Ben-Gurion

December 2

  • 1935 - Martha Carey Thomas
  • 1936 - John Ringling
  • 1986 - Desi Arnaz
  • 1993 - Pablo Escobar

December 3

  • 1894 - Robert Louis Stevenson

December 4

  • 1993 - Frank Zappa
  • 2015 - Robbert Loggia

December 5

  • 1784 - Phillis Wheatley
  • 1791 - Mozart
  • 1870 - Alexandre Dumas
  • 2013 - Nelson Mandela

December 6

  • 1949 - Lead Belly
  • 1988 - Roy Orbison
  • 1989 - Frances Beauvier
  • 1989 - John Payne
  • 2016 - Peter Vaughan

December 7

  • 2011 - Harry Morgan

December 8

  • 1980 - John Lennon
  • 1983 - Slim Pickins
  • 2016 - John Glenn

December 9

  • 2010 - John DuPont

December 10

  • 1896 - Alfred Nobel
  • 2005 - Richard Pryor

December 11

  • 1964 - Percy Kilbride
  • 2008 - Bettie Page

December 12

  • 1821 - Phoebe Hessel
  • 2003 - Keiko the Killer Whale
  • 2006 - Peter Boyle

December 13

  • 1961 - Grandma Moses
  • 2016 - Alan Thicke

December 14

  • 1799 - President George Washington
  • 2013 - Peter O'Toole
  • 2015 - Lillian Vernon

December 15

  • 1675 - Jan Vermeer
  • 1890 - Sitting Bull
  • 1962 - Charles Laughton
  • 2013 - Joan Fontaine

December 16

  • 1859 - Wilhelm Grimm
  • 1980 - Colonel Harland Sanders
  • 1989 - Lee Van Cleef
  • 1997 - Lillian Disney

December 17

  • 1907 - William Thomson
  • 2009 - Jennifer Jones
  • 2016 - Henry Heimlich

December 18

  • 2006 - Joseph Barbera
  • 2008 - Mark Felt
  • 2016 - Zsa Zsa Gabor

December 19

  • 1848 - Emily Brontë
  • 2008 - James Bevel
  • 2017 - Mamie "Peanut" Johnson

December 20

  • 1812 - Sacagawea
  • 1968 - John Steinbeck
  • 1971 - Roy O Disney
  • 1988 - Max Robinson
  • 2009 - Brittany Murphy

December 21

  • 1940 - F Scott Fitzgerald
  • 1945 - George S Patton
  • 2000 - Alfred J Gross

December 22

  • 1943 - Beatrix Potter
  • 1988 - Chico Mendes
  • 2014 - Joe Cocker

December 23

  • 1982 - Jack Webb

December 24

  • 2017 - Heather Menzies-Urich

December 25

  • 1954 - Johnny Ace
  • 1995 - Dean Martin
  • 1996 - Jon Benet Ramsey
  • 1997 - Denver Pyle
  • 2006 - James Brown
  • 2016 - George Michael

December 26

  • 1972 - President Harry Truman
  • 1974 - Jack Benny
  • 2006 - President Gerald Ford

December 27

  • 1923 - Gustave Eiffel

December 28

  • 1983 - Dennis Wilson
  • 1991 - Cassandra Harris
  • 1993 - Howard Caine

December 29

  • 1995 - Lita Grey

December 30

  • 1970 - Sonny Liston
  • 1996 - Lew Ayres
  • 2014 - Luise Rainer

December 31

  • 1964 - Gertrude Michael
  • 1971 - Peter Deuel
  • 1997 - Michael Kennedy
  • 2013 - James Avery
  • 2015 - Wayne Rogers
  • 2015 - Natalie Cole
  • 2016 - William Christopher


Such extraordinary people enter and leave our lives in a moment's notice. It's difficult to deal with the passings but the important thing is that their memory lives on in our hearts. They may entertain, they may inspire, but one way or another, they all leave a mark on our minds and hearts that remains through our own lifetimes.

© 2018 Nathan Jasper


Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on January 02, 2018:

Yes, so many extraordinary people are on your list. I loved Charlie Chaplain.

Related Articles