Sheldon Cooper form The Big Bang Theory is theoretical physicist and an icon for geeks around the world. Dr. Sheldon Cooper, whose real name is Jim Parsons, is the highlight of The Big Bang Theory and has a massive fan following because of his intelligence, quirky habits, sarcasm and an absolute lack of social skills. Now why would we all love a person like that? Let's find out by reading up on a short biography of facts and idiosyncrasies of Sheldon Cooper aka Jim Parsons.
What is Sheldon Cooper's real life story? Facts about Jim Parsons
In real life, Sheldon Cooper is known as Jim Parsons. Jim Parsons was born on March 24, 1973 in Houston, Texas. Yes, many of you The Big Bang Theory fans may be surprised that their favorite character from The Big Bang Theory is actually 38 years old.
Since childhood, Jim Parsons was attracted to acting and performance in general. When Jim was 6, he played a bird in a school play. Jim's mother is a teacher and his father died in a car accident in 2001. For those of you interested in some trivia, Jim Parsons is the elder of two children. His younger sister is also a teacher.
Jim attended the Klein Oak High School in Spring, Texas and is said to be voted as the Friendliest in his high school graduating class. Friendliest, and Sheldon Cooper? Well you better believe it.
Jim had embraced acting, stage performance and theatre from his early days. In his 3 years at the University of Houston, Jim did more than 15 plays. In 1999, Jim enrolled in the University of San Diego for a 2 year course in classical theatre. The program director was skeptical of Jim's adaptability to the program but he gave him a shot anyway because he found Jim to be a very talented young man.
In 2001, Jim graduated and moved to New York. After dabbling around with not-so-famous roles on TV and movies, Jim landed the fated and the super epic role of Dr. Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory in 2007. This role has so far earned Jim the following awards:
- 2009 TCA Awards for Individual Achievement in Comedy
- 2010 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actor In a Comedy Series
- 2011 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actor In a Comedy Series
- 2011 Golden Globe Awards for Best Actor - Television Series - Musical or Comedy
- 2011 Critics' Choice Television Awards for Best Actor in a Comedy Series
Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory
Dr. Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory is one of the main characters of the TV show The Big Bang Theory. He shares an apartment with fellow scientist Leonard Hofstadter, played by Johnny Galecki. Right across the hallway lives Penny, played by Kaley Cuoco, who is Sheldon's arch nemesis. Sheldon is also friends with Howard Wolowitz and Dr. Raj Koothrapali.
In tune with Sheldon Cooper's disciplined character in The Big Bang Theory, here is a point by point description of what his personality on the show is all about.
- Sheldon Cooper is not a geek, he is an uber geek
- Sheldon has no social skill, whatsoever
- He is an eccentric of the highest order
- Sheldon has no empathy and displays traits of being an introvert - Sheldon has literally no regard for social bonding
- Sheldon Cooper seems to be the most intelligent man alive and he believes that he can never, ever, never be wrong – In fact, Sheldon considers himself to be intellectually superior to even Issac Newton
- Sheldon's sense of humor is quite the highlight of the show – Although the other characters of The Big Bang Theory often find his joke not funny
- Sheldon Cooper loves comic books and he along with the other main characters of the show have a weeknight dedicated to visiting the comic book store
- Sheldon does not drink coffee, does not smoke, does not drink and does not do drugs – Even a cup of coffee can make him extremely hyper while a glass or two of wine once made him moon the audience at an award ceremony
- Sheldon has a love-hate relationship with Penny, their neighbor – Well mostly hate, but there have been times when the two of them have patched up
How did Sheldon Cooper's character originate on The Big Bang Theory?
Sheldon Cooper's character on The Big Bang Theory does have a little bit of history attached to it. Sheldon was born in Texas, raised by a mother who is a devout Christian. Right from childhood and absolutely contrary to his mother's belief, Sheldon was a child prodigy. Although he was bullied and taunted in childhood, Sheldon received his Ph.D when he was only 16 years old. Today, Dr. Sheldon Cooper is a Theoretical Physicist.
Funny moments from The Big Bang Theory involving Sheldon Cooper
Moments in The Big Bang Theory that involve Sheldon and are not funny are quite rare. We don't want to spill the beans on all the funny moments of Sheldon right here because that would be a major bummer for all the fans who have not yet seen all the episodes. Nonetheless, here are a few epic and ever hilarious moments from previous seasons, some of which are trademark Sheldon Cooper.
- Knock knock knock Penny Knock knock knock Penny Knock knock knock Penny - Fans of the show will know what this is all about, and those of you who haven't seen episodes of The Big Bang Theory yet, this is how Sheldon knock's of Penny's door every time. No matter how many times you see it, it always seems like the funniest thing on earth!
- Sheldon, true to his personality, has no idea what to give people as Christmas gifts. One Christmas, Sheldon almost has a panic attack trying to figure out what to give to Penny as a gift. Confused, Sheldon buys all sizes of baskets containing bath products and decides the give the size deemed most appropriate, after looking at what Penny gives him. Penny gifts Sheldon a napkin used and autographed by Leonard Nimoy. Overwhelmed, Sheldon decides to give all the gift baskets and even gives Penny a hug. That hug, is the first sign of physical intimacy Sheldon has displayed in his life, ever.
- Sheldon has a specific spot on the couch that he claims as his own. No one can sit on it, even while he is not there. Although not a specific funny moment, every time someone sits on Sheldon's spot on the couch, a hilarious argument or a series of blabbering follows.
- In one of the episodes, Sheldon has an argument with Penny which spirals out of control. While the two go at each other and do nasty things, Sheldon seems to have the last laugh by hanging Penny's underwear on their apartment's telephone wire. He finally accepts defeat when Leonard reveals Sheldon's kryptonite to Penny, Sheldon's mother. Penny calls Sheldon's Mother who in turn calls Sheldon and orders him to stop fighting and be a good boy.
Why do we love Sheldon Cooper?
- Sheldon is weird, strange and lacks social skills. Why do we still love him? Here's why.
- Sheldon Cooper has social skills that of a little child. He does not understand social bonds nor can he keep secrets. He shows no empathy and has little regard for how others feel. Not something to brag about, but all these qualities do make Sheldon stand out as an uber cute character – Lost, in a world of his own.
- Sheldon is really passionate about his work. Deep down inside, many of the show's fans can relate Sheldon's character to their own lives. Sheldon is a living proof that if you keep doing what you love doing, you will be happy in life.
- Although Sheldon is not the one to show any signs of physical intimacy or emotional connections, there have been a few times during the show when he has. No matter how much the other characters hate him, these tender moments have been uber cute.
- Sheldon Cooper is a nearly godlike figure for all geeks, nerds and intelligent folks around the world.
- Sheldon's character has a very quirky personality. In a way, most of us have a weird side to our personalities but just don't show it. Fans of the show seem to relate their own idiosyncrasies to Sheldon and some even admire him of not even attempting to hide them.
- We love Sheldon because he is always right. He feels pitiful for everyone around him because he considers them intellectually inferior to himself.
Love The Big Bang Theory? Then you will love these
Jean Bakula from New Jersey on February 25, 2018:
I love Sheldon's character too, and it's a great review. But you danced around the most important thing about his character. He is asexual. That is why he doesn't like to be touched, or only has sex with Amy once or twice a year, in order to be able to maintain any kind of relationship with her and seem like he is compromising (which he is). I was both happy and disappointed when he did give in, it was a slap in the face to his asexual audience, probably the network isn't ready for reality.
Joni Bryant on October 06, 2013:
Good read! BBT is one of my favorites! Jim Parsons nailed the Sheldon character. Just wish they didn't have the laugh track...
dobo700 from Australia on April 30, 2013:
I'm a big fan of Sheldon
firstname.lastname@example.org on February 22, 2013:
Sheldon is one quarter Scottish so --- what about wearing your kilt ? !!!
mommyloves2write on May 16, 2012:
I love this show and Sheldon, too!
angie ashbourne on April 23, 2012:
Hi! I love Sheldon and The Big Bang Theory. Angie
Elson on April 04, 2012:
Simply the Best, ever!
NetBlots from Melbourne on February 15, 2012:
Hahahaha great hub, looking forward to reading the other one on Penny next!! =)
lady rain from Australia on February 14, 2012:
I love Sheldon and all his friends, they are really funny to watch. It feels great to have a good laugh every night.
Lela from Somewhere near the heart of Texas on February 14, 2012:
Sheldon, Sheldon, Sheldon! He's the best. I have several of the t-shirts he wears and I am always amazed at the new ones he comes up with.
My favorite show is when Leonard won the trip to Switzerland and Penny and Sheldon fought over the chance to go with him.
Ana Teixeira from Oporto, Porto, Portugal on February 14, 2012:
come on.. you goptta love sheldon as a character.. and the actor is just brilliant! Great hub.. voting up!
John Sarkis from Winter Haven, FL on February 14, 2012:
Never watched an episode of this show before. However, I find this character intriguing.... LOL
LaDena Campbell from Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Near Oz... on February 14, 2012:
As a special education teacher I see Sheldon has the ultimate person with Aspergers Syndrome! Lol
Ryan from Louisiana, USA on February 14, 2012:
Although Howard is my favorite, this was a great and interesting hub. I really enjoyed it and i love this show. great work
Sunnie Day on February 14, 2012:
He is the cutest in all his quirky ways..he really makes me laugh..Thanks for sharing. Go Texas!
Motown2Chitown on February 14, 2012:
I love Sheldon, and I think Jim Parsons is as much a prodigy in acting as Sheldon is in Physics. Great hub. :)
Cynthia Calhoun from Western NC on February 14, 2012:
Yeah, I watch this show every week. ;) Voted up!!
R9139 on February 14, 2012:
That was a fantastic series, made all the more funny because I know someone just like the character Sheldon, aha
Linda Bilyeu from Orlando, FL on February 14, 2012:
I adore Sheldon!!!