Ara is a journalism graduate from California State University, Northridge, who is always looking to explore his writing opportunities.
A First Look At The Beautiful Scarlett Johansson
Why Is Scarlett Johansson Famous?
Scarlett Johansson is a movie star that pretty much everyone in the United States knows about. And there are certain reasons to love her. I first got to know about this actress because of the 2003 movie Lost in Translation which is considered to be the movie that catapulted her on the road to stardom. Scarlett was born on November 22, 1984 in New York, the largest US city. The date November 22 is very significant in the history of this country. Scarlett has an interesting background. She is of Polish descent (from her mother’s side) and she is of Danish descent because her father Karsten Johansson is an architect originally from Denmark. Scarlett Johansson is probably my favorite US born actress.
A Brief Look at Scarlett Johansson's Career
Scarlett got involved in acting when she was just 8 years old. She got her start in the production called Sophistry with actor Ethan Hawke. Scarlett would audition for commercials but she could not take rejection well at all so her mother encouraged her to do just film tryouts. Scarlett once described how she felt during commercial takes saying “I was always terrible at commercials because my voice was so deep. At the age of 9, I sounded like a whiskey-drinking, chain smoking fool,” (The Internet Move Database n.d.). It was also at the age of 9 that she made her movie debut starring alongside the late John Ritter in the movie North in 1994. Ritter of course was known for his role as Jack Tripper in the hilarious 1980’s TV series Three’s Company. In 1995, Scarlett would star alongside another famous actor, Sean Connery in the movie Just Cause. She would start getting more attention when she starred in 1998’s The Horse Whisperer. In 2003, she was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Lost in Translation. She would win a Best Actress at the Venice Film Festival for that same movie. Although she was chosen to star in Mission Impossible 3, Johansson would drop out of that movie because she had scheduling conflicts. In 2005, she starred in The Island with Scottish actor Ewan MacGregor. However, the film received poor reviews from critics in the US. This was only a minor setback for Johansson who started in Match Point directed by Woody Allen. Johansson is a big fan of Allen’s. In 2008, Allen and Johansson would work together again as she would star in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. For the 2010 movie Iron Man 2, Johansson would only earn about $400,000. However, she was about to get much wealthier in a few years. For the 2012 movie The Avengers, Scarlett made $4,000,000 and in 2015’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, she earned a whopping $20,000,000! Scarlett is still young being only in her mid 30’s so she has lots of time to star in even more great films.
n.d. The Internet Move Database. Accessed January 14, 2017. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0424060/bio.
Scarlett Johansson Highest Paid Actress
More Photos Of Scarlett Johansson
Some Interesting Facts About Scarlett Johansson
- It is said that her trademark is that she often plays characters that look and act older than their age.
- She was chosen by readers of FHM Magazine as the “Sexiest Woman Alive” when she was featured on that magazine’s 2006 list of the 100 Sexiest Women in the World.
- It was in 2007 that Forbes Magazine estimated that her earnings were $5 million.
- She replaced fashion model Gisele Bundchen, representing Dolce and Gabbana perfumes as the face of the company in 2009.
- The late Sean Connery who starred as Scarlett’s father in the 1995 movie Just Cause played the main antagonist or foe in the 1998 film The Avengers which is based on the classic British TV series. Johansson then went on to play the roles of Natasha Romanoff and Black Widow in the 2012 film The Avengers which is based on the Marvel comic book.
- She is an avid beekeeper.
© 2017 Ara Vahanian