Classic music and movies to make your day bright and your life happy. Enjoy!
Some of the very best Hindi comedy serials that kept the audience coming back to watch them aired way back when Indian Television Industry just consisted of Doordarshan and one or two other channels.
If we exclude a few shows, today there is a dearth of real comedy shows that lack the ability to keep audiences coming back.
Time and again I have forwarded many emails to different Television channels to consider re-telecasting these shows, but to no avail. Now that we have Youtube to our rescue so watching these give a sense of nostalgia.
Here is the list of some of the unforgettable and rib-tickling Hindi comedy shows that are a real treat to watch.
1| Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi
India's first sitcom, Yeh jo hai zindagi is one of the most popular shows of Indian Television that even the box office collections would take a hit. This program was aired on DD National at 8.30 pm on every Friday. The funniest part came in from the act of Satish Shah who use to play a different character on every episode.
Moreover, Shahrukh Khan's production house - Red Chillies Entertainment is remaking the show which will be aired on Imagine TV by the name Ghar Ki Baat
Other Famous Characters
- Shafi Inamdar played Ranjit, the husband.
- Swaroop Sampat played Renu, his wife.
- Rakesh Bedi played Raja, Renu's brother.
- Tiku Talsania played Ranjit's boss.
- Farida Jalal played Ranjit's aunt in the second innings.
- Javed Khan played Farida Jalal's servant, Jhumroo, in the second innings.
2| Zabaan Sambhalke
Many people would not know that this show was the adaptation of the popular British sitcom "Mind Your Language". The main character of Mohan Bharti played by Pankaj Kapoor who is forced to teach Hindi because he has lost his job as an Engineer. People from all walks of life come at the institute to learn Hindi where comedy arises from the interactions of the fellow classmates. Was recently aired on Bindass.
Other famous Characters
- Archana- played by Meenakshi Shukla - the typist cum receptionist which appears to have a crush on Mohan Bharti.
- Lata Dixit- played by Shubha Khote - Principal.
- Mister Charles - played by Tom Alter.
- Rock Patel- played by Javed Jaffrey.
Zabaan Sambhal Ke: Episode 1 - Nil institute
3| Dekh Bhai Dekh
The story revolves around the Diwan family and the comic part came from the sibling rivalry, relationship troubles, business problems, irksome parents and in-laws
- Sushma Seth - Mummyji/Surekha Diwan
- N K Shivpuri - Pappaji/Raj Diwan
- Navin Nischol - Balraj Diwan
- Farida Jalal - Suhasini Diwan
- Amar Upadhyay ... Chachu
- Deven Bhojani ... Kareema
Episode 1, Part 1
4| Shrimaan Shrimati
Shrimaan Shrimati was one show that was re-telecasted which got the afternoon slot on Sab TV. With excellent comic timings of all the actors; this show could give many new sitcoms a run for their money. I have watched all the episodes of this one on YouTube.
- Jatin Kanakia as Keshav Kulkarni
- Reema Lagoo as Kokila Kulkarni
- Archana Puran Singh as Prema Shalini
- Rakesh Bedi as Dilruba
- Ajay Nagrath as Chintu
- Vijay Gokhale as Gokhale
5| Hum Paanch
Hum Paanch was the story of a middle-class worker and his family who had five daughters. The comic part came from the problems that his five daughters would create.
After the first successful season, the show came back for a second season which was aired in 2005.
- Ashok Saraf as Anand Mathur.
- Priya Tendulkar as Anand Mathur's first wife.
- Shoma Anand as Bina Mathur.
- Kajal Bhai - Bhairavi Raichura
- Vidya Balan as Radhika for some episodes
The below video has Vidya Balan enacting Radhika: the double-battery girl (lol).
Padosan went on to become a hugely popular comedy show in which the trademark of the show was the character played by Jatin Kanakia who had frequent conversations with cupboards and sofas in his house.
Padosan Official Channel on Youtube
- Padosan - Hindi Comedy - YouTube
Link to watch all the episodes of the Padosan. The link will take you to Youtube from where you can stream all the videos. Each episode is divided in to three parts.
After a lot of searching and researching, I could not find any video or much information about Nukkad except for the Wikipedia page. The story revolved around the struggles of urban youth, their problems and sacrifices and their subsequent discussion at the street corner. The main highlight was the character played by Sameer Khakkar as Khopdi.
Update: Shemaroo Entertainment, the official rights holder of the serial have started uploading videos (17 episodes) on Youtube. The first episode is embedded on this page whereas others can be watched on Youtube (link below).
Other Famous Characters
- Dilip Dhawan - Guru (The Electrician)
- Avtar Gill - Kadar Bhai (The Hotelier)
- Sangeeta Naik - Radha
- Pavan Malhotra - Hari (Bicycle-repair guy)
First Episode of Nukkad
© 2012 Aarav
nits on December 07, 2014:
Sarabhai vs sarabhai is all time favourite
Aarav (author) from Mumbai on December 05, 2014:
@Goutam Byomkesh Bakshi was not a comedy, it was a detective series.
goutam on December 05, 2014:
add Byomkesh Bakshi to it too.