Margaret Minnicks makes a living by writing online about entertainment, celebrities, books, movies, foods, drinks, health, and spirituality.
If you have not booked a cruise recently, you are invited to go along with the characters in the Netflix movie, High Seas. You will enjoy the trip as you try to help solve the mystery of why many passengers end up missing or dead in this Spanish crime drama mystery miniseries.
About "High Seas"
High Seas is a Spanish mystery series. Netflix released all eight episodes on May 24, 2019. Therefore, movie lovers don't have to wait for a new episode each week. It has just enough episodes for viewers to binge watch.
Even though it is a Spanish movie with Spanish characters, the language has been dubbed in English. The new Netflix show has all the mysteries of an Agatha Christie film with twists and turns. The setting of High Seas is on a ship in the 1940s which reminds viewers of Titanic. While High Seas is based on fictional events, Titanic is based on a real British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in 1912 after the ship struck an iceberg during her maiden voyage from Southampton, England to New York City in the United States. The Titanic has about 2,224 passengers and crew aboard. The luxury cruise ship in the drama High Seas had 1,600 passengers in addition to the crew.
The ship leaves Rio de Janeiro, heading toward Brazil on its transatlantic cruise. Most of the action takes place on the ship instead of at those two places on land.
The mysteries start at the very beginning of the film. So, pay close attention to everything that happens because things are not what they appear to be. Don't trust anyone because many of the characters have hidden agendas. You will quickly see that no passenger is safe because they all are quick to turn their back on one another even those who are related like the two sisters who are part of the main cast. Don't be fooled by their actions to help solve the crimes because nothing is what it seems.
Because it is a Spanish film, the cast includes prominent Spanish actors. Unless you are a fan of Spanish films, you might not be familiar with the cast that includes the following people:
- Eloy Azorin
- Ivana Baquero
- Chiqui Fernández
- Felix Gomez
- Jon Kortajarena
- Daniel Lundh
- Matthew Modine
- Ignacio Montes
- Tamar Novas
- Alejandra Onieva
- Laura Prats
- Natalia Rodríguez
- Begoña Vargas
- Manuela Vellés
Even though you might not be familiar with any of the actors, you will love the storyline if you are fond of whodunits.
Watch the Trailer
What to Pay Attention To
There are some things to pay attention to as the story develops. No scene should be skipped or ignored.
- Pay attention to what the ship’s captain writes in his log book about what has already taken place on his ship before the new passengers arrive.
- Don't miss the opening scene with the two sisters and the person they try to help. It is the beginning of the mysteries on the ship.
- It will be helpful to know why the passengers are on the cruise. They are not taking the trip for pleasure. Pay attention to the reason they are on the luxury liner.
- Don't overlook the costumes and props. Remember the story takes places in the 1940s with a post-World War II setting.
- As you watch the series, keep in mind that any one of the characters could be a murderer even though he or she appears to be a victim.
- There are disappearances and murders to be solved. However, the tone of the show isn't dark at all. The mystery is the central part of the story instead of it being bloody and gruesome. The murders are talked about in dialogues instead of viewers being witnesses to the actions.
- Don't forget the pieces of information you learn about the characters as the series go from episode to episode. What you learn in the first episode permeates throughout the series and to fruition in the last episode.
- Don't overlook the relationships among certain passengers. Those relationships have major clues to how the story will end.
- The plot is intriguing and every episode will draw viewers in deeper and deeper. Look for clues and perhaps you will be able to pinpoint the culprits as you watch the series.
- If you pay close attention to the dialogue of the characters, you will detect who is lying with something to hide.
Renewal and Release Date for Season 2
Just two days after Season 1 began on May 24, the Spanish drama was renewed for a second season on May 26. Season 2 of the series will air another eight episodes on November 22, 2019.
If you answered "Yes" to the above question, you will love High Seas. If you answered "No" perhaps High Seas on Netflix should be your maiden voyage.