Nyesha loves writing about cooking/recipes, restaurants, movies, weddings, and poetry.
Movie Review for Blended the movie starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore
Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore star in Blended the movie
Blended the movie
BLENDED the movie starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore
Movie Review of Blended the Movie (2014 movie)
I purchased Blended (2014) the movie, rated PG-13 for $3.49 in the DVD movie clearance bin at Walmart Neighborhood market. I did not pay much attention when the movie Blended was out in theaters in the year 2014, but seeing Blended the movie on sale for such a great price in the clearance bin at the store caught my eye because this movie reunites actors Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler in movie performances.
I liked their performances in both the movies The Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates. Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler are well known for working well together in movie performances. So, I decided to give this movie a try. Since Blended the movie is rated PG-13, I did not watch it with my kids who are much younger than 13. This is the first movie that I have watched without the kids in a really long time. It is indeed not appropriate for them and they would need to wait until they are much older to watch this movie.
- In the movie Blended, Drew Barrymore’s character Lauren works as a closet organizer with her friend. She is recently divorced and emotional, second guessing herself and feeling like maybe she did not try hard enough at marriage.
- She is particularly hard on herself after going out on a blind date with Adam Sandler’s Blended movie character, Jim. The date went really badly. Jim himself felt that the date went badly as well.
- Jim tells his coworker (a character played by Shaquille O’Neal) at Dick’s Sporting Goods store that he is ready to stop dating and instead invest that time and money into being with his kids (3 girls) and providing for them. Jim is widowed. His wife passed away from cancer.
Billboard for Blended the movie
A trip to Africa
In Blended the movie, the character Jim has three daughters and the older two are particularly tomboyish. Jim takes them to get their hair cut at a barber, not a beauty salon and he gets deep discounts on their clothing that he purchases from Dick’s Sporting Goods store.
The character Lauren’s friend and closet organizing business partner has been dating Dick, the owner of the sporting goods stores and decides to break up with him when she finds out that he has 5 children that he wants to introduce her to. She says, “What is this? The Sound of Music?” (The Sound of Music was one of my favorite movies by the way and I’ve seen it numerous times.) Lauren thinks that it is silly for her friend to break up with the man because he has children and her friend emphasizes five children.
- Lauren’s friend was going to be taking a trip to Africa with Dick and that trip ends up being canceled with the break up.
- Lauren looks at the brochure and realizes that it is the trip of a lifetime and her own two sons would love to go on such a trip with her.
- Lauren gently asks her friend if she can purchase the vacation from Dick. Lauren says that she does not mean to pick at the carcass of her friend’s dead relationship with Dick and she can never give him the full price of what he paid for the vacation but if he would consider selling the vacation to her, she would love to take her sons to Africa.
- Meanwhile, Jim is also getting on the phone to ask Dick for the Africa trip as well.
Various characters bonding in Blended the movie
In Blended the movie, BOTH families (Lauren and her two sons and Jim and his three daughters) end up being offered the trip and they do not discover this until after they have arrived in Africa! At the designated resort, the two families, must share the suite lodging, the excursions and sit at the same table for meals. (Actor Terry Crews plays the movie character of an over-the-top singing entertainer at the resort in Africa and makes numerous appearances throughout the movie, complete with costumed backup singers. He often sings while resort guests are sitting at dining tables having their meals, for example. Among various lyrics that he enjoys singing: "They are bonding. They are bonding.")
Subsequently, Lauren and Jim end up spending a lot of time together after that first date gone wrong. Their children get to know each other as well (bonding). There are various bonding moments among the various movie characters in the cast.
- For example, Lauren gives Jim’s oldest daughter her hair salon appointment. This paired with some new clothes gives the girl quite a makeover. The fifteen year old girl is very happy for the makeover but her dad Jim has a lot of difficulty accepting that she is growing up.
- There is also a boy at the resort that becomes Jim’s eldest daughter’s love interest. (Jim’s oldest daughter is played by the actress Bella Thorne.)
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
Jim’s middle daughter is having psychological trauma as she has thoughts of her now deceased mother and this manifests into her “seeing” her mother everywhere and even talking to her.
- Lauren handles herself very well in treating the young disturbed girl with sensitivity and Jim is impressed by this.
- Additionally, Lauren bonds well with the youngest daughter as well and sings the song Somewhere Over the Rainbow to her to help her fall asleep.
- All three of the young girls notice that the song is coincidentally the same song that their deceased mother used to sing to them.
Jim bonds pretty well with Lauren’s two sons as well. Jim helps Lauren’s younger son to improve with baseball by improvising with cricket equipment. Jim also manage to get the older son to dislike him much less than he did when he first met him. He teaches him to box and show that he is very involved with spending time with the kids.
By the end of the vacation in Africa, It would definitely seem like romance is blooming between Jim and Lauren. Jim plans a beautiful dinner for them while the kids go to do the activities that have been scheduled for children. Nevertheless, at the dinner, Jim has a sudden change of heart and feels like he cannot kiss Lauren.
It is okay
It takes some time after they all return to the United States for Jim to realize that it is okay for him to be interested in Lauren. He feels that it would be okay for both individuals and for both families. He approaches Lauren again (at one of Lauren’s younger son’s Saturday little league baseball games) to pick up where they left off. Dick and Lauren's friend also reunite as she decides to give him another chance.
There are some genuine, sincere and clean funny moments in this film but there are also some jokes made that are crude.
This movie was okay but I did not enjoy it as much as The Wedding Singer or 50 First Dates, both starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore as well.
Blended the movie is rated PG-13
I rate this movie, Blended 3 out of 5 stars. ***
Jim's daughters in Blended the movie
Blended the movie
© 2018 Nyesha Pagnou MPH
Nyesha Pagnou MPH (author) from USA on April 03, 2019:
Hi Peggy, Thanks a lot for reading this movie review of Blended and commenting.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on October 06, 2018:
Thanks for reviewing this movie. It sounds like a cute movie. I like both of the actors in it (Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore) and did enjoy watching the movie The Wedding Singer.