Nyesha loves writing about cooking/recipes, restaurants, movies, weddings, and poetry.
Alvin and the Chipmunks : The Squeakquel
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel - Movie Review
ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS: THE SQUEAKQUEL
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel Movie Review
Alvin and the Chipmunks are three chipmunks – Alvin, Simon and Theodore. There is a backstory about how quickly chipmunks ‘get rid of’ their offspring and leave them on their own to hopefully thrive independently.
Alvin, Simon and Theodore’s biological parents are long gone. A human named Dave becomes their caregiver / guardian. These little chipmunks are capable of speaking and singing in English. That is the biggest fascination that they offer.
- Back in the movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks (part 1), the chipmunks were exploited by a music manager that they were eventually able to get away from.
- At the start of Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel the movie, Alvin, Simon and Theodore are still musicians in a band but Dave is looking out for them.
- The movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel opens with the three chipmunks performing at a concert full of excited concert goers.
- There is a mishap and Dave gets badly injured.
Dave in the movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Squeakquel
In the movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Squeakquel, the chipmunks rush to Dave’s bedside at the hospital just before a strong sedative starts to take effect for Dave. Dave has about one minute to get all of his words out, explaining to the chipmunks what is going to occur.
- Dave wants the chipmunks to go to school and lead “normal” lives.
- He tells them that he is leaving them in the care of his Aunt Jackie until he recovers enough to continue taking care of them.
- The chipmunks are a bit confused about who Aunt Jackie is and eventually they make the association with the aunt that sends them tins of popcorn during the holidays.
- They say, Oh, “popcorn Jackie!”
Aunt Jackie and Toby in ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS - THE SQUEAKQUEL MOVIE
In Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel movie, as the chipmunks are sent to Aunt Jackie and she greets them at the airport, she is already wheel chair bound. She herself gets further injured at the airport and has to be carried away on a gurney to an ambulance.
Aunt Jackie's grandson, Toby who had gone to the airport with her ends up being the one to take the chipmunks under his care temporarily. The chipmunks are a bit concerned. Toby tells them not to worry and that he took great care of a cat until it ran away.
Toby took great care of a cat until it ran away.
The mood lightens as the chipmunks get to the home and try to figure out what to eat for dinner. They opt for cheese balls and sing a cheese balls, “get in my belly” song.
My son, who I was watching the Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel movie with immediately asked, “Mom, can you buy me some cheese balls?”
Mom, Can you buy me some cheeseballs?
— My son while I was watching this movie with him.
Theodore's nightmare in Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Squeakquel movie
In the night, Theodore ends up having a nightmare that the chipmunks were no longer a family. He runs to Toby and Toby reassures him that the chipmunks are inseparable and they will continue to be so, that is if a large eagle does not swoop down and eat one or more of them.
Toby’s attempt to be funny terrifies Theodore who is the baby of the family and Theodore runs out of the room more stressed out than ever. Toby feels just a little bad about what he said to Theodore.
According to Toby, the Chipmunks will always be together, as long as a large eagle does not swoop down and eat one or more of them!
School starts at 8 in the morning?!
In the morning, when the alarm clock sounds for Toby to get ready to take the chipmunks to school, Alvin is offended by the loud noise that the alarm clock is making.
Toby has to explain to Alvin what an alarm clock actually is and how it helps you to wake up at the time that you need to wake up. Toby tells Alvin that the school day begins at 8. Alvin says, “IN THE MORNING?!” It is a really funny moment in the movie.
In the morning?!
— Alvin, when told that school starts at 8.
Fear of bullies and eagle statues
At school, the chipmunks have some unpleasant encounters with athlete jock bullies who are unreasonably jealous of their cuteness and their popularity with the girls who comment on how cute the tiny chipmunks are. The whole thing is silly.
At one point, while running away from the bullies, Theodore stumbles upon an eagle statue in the hallway of the school and becomes terrified of the eagle statue as well.
"Have you always been that short?"
Meanwhile, in a parallel story, the music manager (named Ian) from the past who had exploited Alvin, Simon and Theodore, discovers a female group of chipmunks (the Chipettes) named, Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor. They dance and sing for him and he promises them a bright future in show business.
In his eyes, Brittany is the superstar of the group and he wants the other two to fade into the background. He gruffly pushes them back so that Brittany can take center stage.
- He even asks Eleanor, “Have you always been that short?” , another rude but funny line in the movie.
- A confused Eleanor says yes, she guesses so and the music manager tells her that she has to “work on that” as if she can make herself become taller.
Have you always been that short?
— Ian to Eleanor
He once had maids and season tickets to the Lakers. Even his maids had season tickets to the Lakers. He longs to be that rich again.
- Along the way, the music manager even shares with the Chipettes his version of the story of his past experience working with Alvin and the Chipmunks.
- He talks about how dedicated he was to them and they just spit in his face, figuratively and literally.
- The Chipettes are completely shocked by the music manager's fabricated story.
- During the course of movie plot, the music manager also laments about his loss of fame and wealth and is looking forward to his climb back to the top.
- He talks about how he once had maids and season tickets to the Lakers basketball games and even his maids had season tickets to the Lakers games.
- He longs to be back in a position of wealth again.
Eventually, the Chipettes realize that they too are going to be exploited by the music manager and they make a big ‘escape’ from him. They are ultimately able to do so with the help of the chipmunks who they meet at school and a toy sized motorcycle and a toy remote control helicopter! (The toy motorcycle and the toy remote control helicopter end up being just the right size for them). Alvin, Simon and Theodore are all immediately smitten with their female counterparts, Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor.
A grand finale in Alvin and the Chipmunks : The Squeakuel the movie
The eccentric principal of the school is an advocate for all six of these chipmunks enrolling at the school and sharing their musical talents because their performances will be able to help to raise $25,000 to save the music department at the school.
- By the end of the movie, all six chipmunks, the males and the females – Alvin, Brittany, Simon, Jeanette, Theodore and Eleanor give a musical performance on stage together.
- The human adults such as a recovering Dave (on crutches), Toby and the school principal join in on the singing and dancing for a grand finale.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel the movie is a cute and funny movie. Your kids will really enjoy watching it.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel - Voice Actors
Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Squeakquel
© 2018 Nyesha Pagnou MPH