Sunshine likes to make artists shine! Hence, her interview series was born. Contact her for your moment in Sunshine's Spotlight.
Meet Mark Sellers
Let it be known that Mark Sellers is one heck of an entertainer. Yet, he remains humble and very kind. His audience feels appreciated due to his persona that acknowledges their presence. Mark's smile lights up a room and when he exits the building the afterglow remains behind.
Mark is a newcomer to the Nashville scene, but not new to the entertainment industry. Nashville is not Mark's first rodeo and from what I have witnessed, certainly not his last. Mark in my opinion is a giver by nature. He shares pieces of himself through his many talents. Whether it be dancing, acting or singing...chances are you might have already "met" Mark and didn't realize it, until now.
I had the pleasure of meeting Mark at the Honky Tonk Central in Nashville. I watched as he entertained groups of all ages. He greeted the children with high fives and guitar picks and cheered them on as they shimmied along to the music. Whether Mark was gliding across the dance floor, singing to the patrons or simply greeting the crowds...everyone took notice of this entertainer who had you wanting more.
Join me in a trip down Mark Seller's memory lane...
Mark Sellers: Random Fun Facts
- Born in St. Charles, Missouri where his father was a riverboat pilot. At age 11 the family moved from Sikeston, Missouri to Sweet Home Alabama which is where Mark calls Decatur his hometown. (Roll tide!) Mark is now a resident of Nashville.
- His father played the guitar and was a loyal fan of Waylon Jennings, which helped inspire Mark's passion of strumming and singing.
- Mark, along with his little sister Laura, were self-taught dancers. They were inspired by a couple of dance TV shows that were all abuzz during that time. Soul Train and American Bandstand.
- In 1980 Mark and Laura won the title of National Champions for American Bandstand's annual dance contest. They each won a car and Laura was only 15 years old at the time! Their cars were shipped from Hollywood, California to Alabama, where they lived.
- In 1983 Mark and Laura went on to win the Grand National Dance Championship on the hit TV show Star Search, hosted by Ed McMahon. This duo obviously had the right moves to win the grand prize of $100,000.00.
- In 1983 producers from the popular TV dance series, Solid Gold, offered Mark a contract for their show. Mark was a star dancer for two seasons. (I remember watching Mark on Solid Gold. Little did my younger self know I would be interviewing him one day.)
I Spy, Mark Sellers!
- Just when I thought Mark couldn't shock me anymore I learned he was a principal dancer in Michael Jackson's number one video of all time, THRILLER. Michael Jackson was Mark's favorite dancer to work with and THRILLER remains the most well sold album of all time.
- Shortly afterwards he was a featured dancer in Tim McGraw's, Indian Outlaw video. Tim McGraw fans are aware that it was the controversy of Indian Outlaw that put Tim on the map. Yep, Mark was a part of that history.
First and Foremost I am an Entertainer
Mark has led quite an interesting life. While speaking to him you wouldn't expect such humility, but yet he remains grounded.
Mark now resides in Nashville surrounded by a younger generation of talent, who admire him for his legendary history and his ambition to pursue his dream of country music singer/songwriter.
Mark learns from the younger generation while they learn from him. Who doesn't appreciate to learn something new each and everyday?
Mark thrives in entertaining the thousands of tourists in Nashville. So next time y'all are visiting Broadway, be sure and hunt this musician down. Don't forget to request a song or two and tip him well. You'll be pleasantly pleased being serenaded by this cowboy.
Mark Sellers makes sure the patrons have the time of their lives. My daughter and I concur!
Need I Mention that Mark Sellers is Passionate About Music?
- Mark's talent has been featured in Clint Black's video, "One Emotion." He was also featured in Dwight Yoakam's video of "These Arms."
- And you thought I was done with video credits? Mark was also a featured dancer in Lionel Richie's video "All Night Long."
- Mark was the choreographer for the dance routines in the movie, 8 seconds.
- Elvis was the entertainer that inspired Mark as a young kid. He never would have imagined that one day he would receive an invite to perform at Priscilla Presley's parents 55th anniversary celebration. He also danced and dined with Priscilla. Smooth moves!
- Fred Astaire was Mark's favorite dancer who inspired his passion for dance and choreography.
- He would like to duet with Julianne Hough from the Dancing With The Stars TV reality show.
- Mark sure knows how to strum his guitar. While he is picking and grinning his loyalty to this instrument shines through as he's sharing his passion of song.
- He is also a songwriter who pours his heart and soul into his words.
- His favorite singer/songwriter is country rocker, John Fogerty.
If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body - Mark Sellers (Bellamy Brothers cover)
Hold Your Horses! We Ain't Done Yet.
- Mark has created a successful "Chair Dance" program which works with Dementia and Alzheimer's patients through therapeutic dance and combined music. His dad has dementia and this program is Mark's way of giving back.
- Favorite country song is "The Dance" by Garth Brooks which is a powerful hit.
- TOOTSIE'S World Famous Orchid Lounge is Mark's number one stage to perform at on Broadway.
- Marlon Brando is his favorite actor.
- Meryl Streep is his favorite actress.
- Mark had no vocal training. (Way to go, Cowboy!)
- Mark opened for Taylor Swift in Los Angeles when she was only 14 years old.
- On several special occasions Mark has been invited to perform at St. Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis. Mark has entertained many young patients and their families over the years. These performances always tug at Mark's heart. (I have been donating to St. Jude Children's Hospital for over 35 years. Bless your heart, Mark Sellers!)
Follow Your Guitar
- For acting gigs Mark worked with such notables as Gary Marshall, Ron Howard, Mel Brooks and Adam Sandler.
- Mark is on Facebook, where you could follow him. The next time you are in Nashville and want to watch Mark perform check his Facebook page because he posts his schedule daily.
- Mark's advice to musicians who are new to the business and are considering to relocate to Nashville..."Follow your heart."
- One of my favorite questions to ask musicians are their thoughts on how country music has evolved. Mark's response was spot on! He said, "Old or new, the heart and soul of country music will always be about storytelling. The songs range from hurt to happy. I have witnessed an increase in positive influences that has been infused in the lyrics for the newer generations."
Thank you, Mark for taking the time out of your busy schedule and participating in my Nashville Musicians interview series.
If I had known then what I know now about your mega-accomplishments I wouldn't have changed a thing, I still would have asked you to be one of my victims...I mean, victors.
Shine on, Mark! Next time I see you I will wear sunglasses to block the glare.
Now y'all be sure and visit downtown Nashville so that you too could experience the sights and sounds of Mark Sellers.
Check Yes or No!
© 2016 Linda Bilyeu
Mark Sellers on September 07, 2020:
THANK YOU Sunshine, for my wonderful article!!
It was an honor to be chosen as one of your country music interviews.
I’m honored and blessed most excellent one!
God bless you and your precious family!!
Love & Light
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on September 14, 2016:
Very interesting series and thanks for introducing the talented artists!!
Great and well presented hub and interview.
Your pictures are wonderful. Thank you!
Danny Reist on September 09, 2016:
Not mentioned was the fact that mark was quite a football player. I remember him running back kicks. No doubt it was the dancing moves he put on the D-Backs. Mark graduated with my Son. came top our house quite often. We will line up a trip to see him very soon. We visit Nashville quite often.My daughter lives in Brent Wood.
mckbirdbks from Emerald Wells, Just off the crossroads,Texas on September 09, 2016:
That's it, I am buy'n me a guitar. And maybe one of those harmonica holders they wear around the neck.
Another fun read - what a great series, to lift your spirit.
Shauna L Bowling from Central Florida on September 09, 2016:
What a talented guy - and good looking, too! He's had quite a colorful and memorable career so far. How cool that he took a photo with you and gave you this awesome interview!
Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood are coming to Orlando in October. Are you going? Will you shoot for an interview? If anyone can pull it off it's you, Sunshine!
Maria Jordan from Jeffersonville PA on September 08, 2016:
Mighty fine - musician and man - thanks for sharing, dear Sunshine.
Suzette Walker from Taos, NM on September 07, 2016:
Wonderful article and interview not to mention acute pic with Mark!
Donna Ramsey on September 07, 2016:
Mark Sellers is what we consider a Decatur Alabama treasure!! We love Mark and some of us have the pleasure of being his friend. He is a fantastic entertainer and when he visits Decatur he usually does a night or two at our local VFW - thanking those who have served our country and of course making all the ladies swoon!! We're proud of you Mark.
Nell Rose from England on September 07, 2016:
That's one thing about England we just do not have, Nashville! lol! and we don't have Country and western either, which is a darn shame as I love the music! another great article Linda!
Toni Nicholson on September 07, 2016:
Great article!! Growing up in a neighboring town from Mark, of course I knew who he was and followed his career. And what a career!!
A couple of summers ago, I was having lunch with a dear friend, that just happens to be one of Mark's oldest and dearest friends. In walks this ray of sunshine...he honestly radiates positive energy. I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon with him and truly enjoyed getting to know more about him and listening to them share so many wonderful memories.
Mark, I'm thrilled that you're still following your heart and dreams...doing what you love. Keep on keeping on! And the next time my Mark and I get to Nashville, we're for sure looking you up!
Suzie from Carson City on September 06, 2016:
Wooooo Hoooooo! He's sexy-lookin, GF! You make a beautiful couple. LOLOLOLOLOLO. Gotta hand it to ya, Linda Sue, when you do something, you do it up real big!! More music, guitars, boots & denim....more C&W songs and singers! I love the way you're introducing us to all these fine C&W Musicians!
Thank you for being our lady on the streets of Nashville!! Love & hugs!
FlourishAnyway from USA on September 06, 2016:
What a fascinating and diverse background he's had. I love this series that you have going, Linda. you're helping to spotlight good talent.