Nathan is a film critic and aspiring author with a true passion for the film industry who hopes his writings will help launch his career.
The MCU has been going strong since 2008 and seems to have no plans of slowing down. It's no secret though that sometimes the chronology can be a bit wonky. This article is a complete timeline of events of the MCU. I didn't go to the extent of searching through all the TV shows for flashbacks but I did specify when the film prologues happen. Also at the bottom of the article, I included a suggested viewing order for newcomers.
- Before creation, the celestials were around.
- As indicated by The Collector in Guardians of the Galaxy, six singularities existed before Creation. After Creation, the singularities formed into the Infinity Stones.
- Celestials create many different Eternals
- Thor: The Dark World prologue detailing Malekith's rise and fall and the Aether being hidden
- Thor prologue detailing the war with the Frost Giants and Loki's adoption
- 1942 - Captain America: The First Avenger main story
- Not long after Cap dropped into the ice, Dr Zola finds and saves Bucky only to resume his experiments
- 1945: Agent Carter one-shot and the two Agent Carter seasons
- 1945 - Zola recruited by SHIELD; HYDRA begins burying its roots inside SHIELD
- 1980 - Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 prologue which shows Ego and Meredith Quill madly in love. Ego reveals to her the extension of himself that he planted on Earth.
- 1988 - Guardians of the Galaxy prologue - Peter's mom dies and Peter is abducted by Yondu
- 1988 (?) - Thanos "adopts" Gamora as his own daughter.
- 1989 - Ant-Man prologue - Hank Pym refuses to allow his formula to be weaponized. Peggy Carter and Howard Stark are among those present.
- 1991 - Captain America: Civil War prologue - December 16 mission in which brainwashed HYDRA agent Bucky Barnes kills Howard and Maria Stark in order to steal the five super soldier serums.
- 1992 - King T'Chaka confronts his brother in Oakland, California, kills him for helping Klaue steal vibranium from Wakanda. T'Chaka abandons his nephew.
- Captain Marvel crashes on Earth in 1995, where she meets young Nick Fury and Coulson. The entire movie is set in this time. The first end-credits scene, however, takes place during Endgame.
- 1995 - In Ohio, Alexei is undercover for Dreykov with his "daughters" Natasha and Yelena, both of whom were put into the Russian spy program at a young age because of their genetic advantages. They flee to Cuba when the mission is complete. Yelena and Natasha are taken, controlled, and trained.
- 1996 - Wen Wu meets the love of his life.
- 1998 (?) - Ava loses her parents in a blast at Hank Pym's lab, causing her body to develop quantum phasing abilities.
- 1999 - Shang-Chi is born
- 1999 - Iron Man 3 prologue - Aldrich Killian tries to get Tony to join AIM
- 2006 - Shang-Chi's mother is killed, the Ten Rings is re-established
- 2008 - Iron Man takes place. In Iron Man 3, Tony states he was captive for 3 months. That means the presentation and his kidnapping had to have happened in May 2008 and his escape/rescue in August 2008. The rest of the film spans over a couple months.
- 2008 - Iron Man 2 prologue - Anton Vanko dies as Tony reveals himself to be Iron Man. Ivan begins working on the Whiplash armor
- 2009 - Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk take place during the same time (six months after Iron Man) The end scene in Incredible Hulk takes place later on.
- 2009 - One-Shot: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer - fun little short showing Agent Coulson stop a gas station robbery on the way to New Mexico
- 2009 - Thor - movie includes the Iron Man 2 end credit scene
- 2009 - One-Shot: The Consultant - an extended cut of the end scene in Incredible Hulk with Coulson sending Tony to talk to Ross
- 2011 - Captain America: The First Avenger prologue and epilogue depicting Cap being found and reawakened
- 2012 - The Avengers - Avengers are brought together to stop Loki from taking over the world. Thanos is introduced.
- 2012 - During the Battle of New York, Kate Bishop is saved by Hawkeye and she is ushered to safety by her mother. Kate's father dies.
- 2012 - Spider-Man: Homecoming prologue - takes place directly after the Battle of New York. Adrian Toomes is contracted by the city to clean up the mess but Damage Control takes over, leaving Toomes jobless and desperate.
- 2012 - One-Shot: Item 47 - fun but unnecessary short about a couple using Chitauri tech to rob banks
- 2012, late - It's mentioned by fake Mandarin in Iron Man 3 that there was an oil spill at Roxxon. Since that happened days before IM3, this was most likely the prologue of Cloak & Dagger when a Roxxon oil crane fails.
- 2012, Christmas - Iron Man 3 - film is known to be set in late 2012 because Killian states he tried to get Tony to join AIM 13 years ago. Killian approached Tony New Years Eve 1999. 13 years later would make it late 2012.
- 2013 - Shang-Chi is sent on a mission to kill his mother's assassin, never returns home.
- 2013 - All Hail the King one-shot - Trevor Slattery is broken out of prison and taken to the real Mandarin.
- 2013 - Agents of SHIELD season 1, episodes 1-7
- 2013 - Thor: The Dark World
- 2013/2014 - Agents of SHIELD season 1, episodes 8-16
- 2014 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- 2014 - Agents of SHIELD season 1, episodes 17-22
- 2014 - Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
- 2014/15 - Agents of SHIELD season 2 episodes 1-10
- 2015 - Daredevil season 1
- 2015 - Agents of SHIELD season 2 episodes 11-19
- 2015 - Avengers: Age of Ultron
- 2015 - Agents of SHIELD season 2, episodes 20-22
- 2015 - WHiH Newsfront eps 1-5 - these first few short episodes lead up to the film Ant-Man
- 2015 - Ant-Man and also the first end credits scene. The second one takes place during Civil War, thus comes later
- 2015 - Jessica Jones season 1
- 2015/16 - Agents of SHIELD season 3, episodes 1-14
- 2016 - Daredevil season 2
- 2016 - WHiH Newsfront episode 6 - this episode begins the discussion that will lead up to the Sokovia Accords
- 2016 - Agents of SHIELD season 3, episodes 15 & 16
- 2016 - WHiH Newsfront episode 7 - discussions of both pro and anti Avengers continue
- 2016 - Agents of SHIELD season 3, episodes 17 &18
- 2016 - Doctor Strange beginning - From the start of the film up to the car crash and waking in the hospital
- 2016 - Luke Cage season 1
- 2016 - Agents of SHIELD season 3, episode 19
- 2016 - WHiH Newsfront episodes 8-10 - episode 10 takes place during Civil War, directly after the attack in Lagos
- 2016 - Captain America: Civil War - The film includes the 2nd end credit scene from Ant-Man. The first end credit scene in Civil War leads directly into Black Panther. The second end credit scene leads directly into Spider-Man: Homecoming.
- 2016 - Agents of SHIELD season 3, episodes 20-22
- 2016 - Black Panther - Takes place a week after Civil War. Both end credit scenes take place directly after the film
- 2016 - Doctor Strange has been going through recovery, trying to find a solution for fixing his hands, is told about Kamar-Taj. He then uses the last of his money to get there. He begins studying the mystic arts.
- 2016 - Black Widow - Natasha returns to Russia to settle an old score.
- 2016 - Spider-Man: Homecoming - takes place 3 months after Civil War. Although Homecoming states the film takes place 8 years after Avengers, this is inaccurate. After a timeline reference in Infinity War, it's confirmation that Homecoming has to take place 4 years after Avengers.
- 2016 - Iron Fist season 1
- 2016 - Agents of SHIELD season 4, episodes 1-8
- 2016 - Agents of SHIELD: Slingshot
- 2017 - Doctor Strange - remainder of film and 2nd After-Credits scene. 1st comes later during Thor Ragnarok
- 2017 - The Defenders season 1
- 2017 - Agents of SHIELD season 4 episodes 9-15
- 2017 - The Punisher season 1
- 2017 - Agents of SHIELD season 4, episodes 16-22
- 2017 - Inhumans season 1
- 2017 - Runaways season 1
- 2017 - Cloak & Dagger season 1
- 2017 - Helstrom season 1
- 2018 - Runaways season 2
- 2018 - Jessica Jones season 2
- 2018 - Cloak and Dagger season 2
- 2018 - Luke Cage season 2
- 2018 - Iron Fist season 2
- 2018 - Daredevil season 3
- 2018 - The Punisher season 2
- 2018 - Runaways season 3
- 2018 - Agents of SHIELD season 5 episodes 1-18
- 2018 - Thor: Ragnarok - includes extended Doctor Strange scene and 2nd credit scene ONLY.
- 2018 - Agents of SHIELD season 5 episode 19
- 2018 - Ant-Man and the Wasp (movie only, both end credit scenes take place AFTER Infinity War)
- 2018 - Thor: Ragnarok first end-credit scene. Infinity War picks up immediately after that.
- 2018 - Agents of SHIELD season 5 episodes 20-22 - takes place during Avengers: Infinity War
- 2018 - Yelena (Natasha's sister) goes to her friend Anna's house to give her the cure for the mind control given to all Black Widows.
- 2018 - Avengers: Infinity War
- 2018 - Ant-Man and the Wasp first end-credit scene
- 2018 - Captain Marvel first end-credit scene
- 2018 - Avengers: Endgame beginning
- 2018 - Jessica Jones season 3 - Trish's co-host states "Mother's Day is 6 months away", indicating this season takes place in November, presumably AFTER The Decimation, which explains why many people are angry with super-powered people. Also this explains why Trish is doing Spider-Man's job. He's not there.
- 2019 - Agents of SHIELD season 6 - There are several implications showing this season takes place after The Snap. In episode 2, Mac says "We protect people from their worst nightmares, or at least we try", possibly referring to The Decimation. There is also an old newspaper from August 2018 that states an auction was being held for an estate due to lack of payment on taxes. Can't pay your taxes if you don't exist anymore.
- Various Times - Agents of SHIELD season 7 - The team travels through various important parts during the MCU to attempt to stop the Chronicoms from rewriting history.
- 2020 - Maria Rambeau dies of cancer
- 2023 - October, Present time of Endgame.
- 2023 - Monica Rambeau is brought back From the Snappening, wakes in hospital only to find her mother had died while she was gone.
- 2023 - Yelena is brought back from the Snappening, appears in Anna's house only to find out Nat is dead.
- 2023 - WandaVision - takes place immediately after Endgame ends
- 2023 - Loki - although the 2012 version of Loki was pulled from his timeline, most likely the show takes place around the same time as WandaVision due to Ravonna talking about the events of Endgame.
- 2023 - likely late October, early November - main events of Shang-Chi
- 2023 - Eternals - Ajak states Thanos wiped out half the universe "5 years ago" which puts the time of this film right after Shang-Chi. Also, when Sersi disappears, everyone starts freaking out, showing people are still recovering from the Snappening
- 2024 - April, 6 months after Endgame - Captain America has died. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier takes place.
- 2024 - Shortly after Val makes John Walker US Agent, she approaches Yelena with a mission: kill Hawkeye.
- 2024 - Spider-Man: Far From Home takes place in June, 8 months after Endgame according to Betty's school news report.
- 2024 - Spider-Man: No Way Home starts immediately where Far From Home leaves off. The film covers from June to Christmas. There's a tie-in credit sequence with Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Morbius
- 2024 - Christmas/New Year's - Hawkeye season 1
- 2025 - April/May - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- 2025 - late May - Moon Knight season 1
- 2025 - June - Ms. Marvel season 1
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Agent Carter seasons 1 & 2
- Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter
- Captain Marvel (1st end-credits scene takes place during Endgame)
- Iron Man
- Iron Man 2
- The Incredible Hulk
- Marvel One-Shot: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer
- Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant
- The Avengers
- Marvel One-Shot: Item 47
- Iron Man 3
- Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King
- Agents of SHIELD season 1 episodes 1-7
- Thor: The Dark World
- Agents of SHIELD season 1 episodes 8-16
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Agents of SHIELD season 1 episodes 17-22
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
- Agents of SHIELD season 2 episodes 1-10
- Daredevil season 1
- Agents of SHIELD season 2 episodes 11-19
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Agents of SHIELD season 2 episodes 20-22
- WHiH Newsfront episodes 1-5
- Jessica Jones season 1
- Agents of SHIELD season 3 episodes 1-14
- Daredevil season 2
- WHiH Newsfront episodes 6-7
- Agents of SHIELD season 3 episodes 15-18
- Luke Cage season 1
- WHiH Newsfront episodes 8-9
- Agents of SHIELD season 3 episode 19
- WHiH Newsfront episode 10
- Captain America: Civil War
- Agents of SHIELD season 3 episodes 20-22
- Black Panther
- Black Widow (credit scene takes place after Endgame and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier)
- Spider-Man Homecoming
- Iron Fist season 1
- Agents of SHIELD season 4 episodes 1-8
- Agents of SHIELD: Slingshot
- Doctor Strange
- The Defenders season 1
- Agents of SHIELD season 4 episodes 9-15
- The Punisher season 1
- Agents of SHIELD season 4 episodes 16-22
- Inhumans season 1
- Runaways season 1
- Cloak & Dagger season 1
- Helstrom season 1
- Runaways season 2
- Jessica Jones season 2
- Cloak and Dagger season 2
- Luke Cage season 2
- Iron Fist season 2
- Daredevil season 3
- The Punisher season 2
- Runaways season 3
- Agents of SHIELD season 5 episodes 1-19
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Agents of SHIELD season 5 episodes 20-22
- Ant-Man and the Wasp main film
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Ant-Man and the Wasp credit scene
- Captain Marvel first credit scene
- Avengers: Endgame PROLOGUE ONLY
- Jessica Jones season 3
- Agents of SHIELD seasons 6 and 7
- Avengers: Endgame FIVE YEARS LATER AND ON
- What If seasons 1&2
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
- Black Widow credit scene
- Spider-Man: Far From Home
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Venom: Let There Be Carnage, Spider-Man: No Way Home, and Morbius credit scenes ONLY
- Hawkeye season 1
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- Moon Knight season 1
- Ms Marvel season 1
© 2018 Nathan Jasper
Nathan Jasper (author) from Sylva, NC on February 21, 2018:
James- Thank you very much! I will definitely be reading your article as I have been interested to know more about Black Panther.
James Octavo on February 21, 2018:
Excellent. It cleared up a lot of confusion. That was a lot of work you did. Wow! I'm a Marvel Comics fan since back in the 1960s. I wrote an hubpage article on Black Panther's comic book origins in 1966.
Nathan Jasper (author) from Sylva, NC on February 20, 2018:
Tim- Thank you! That means a lot to me. Thank you for being a reader and feel free to check out my complete ranking of the MCU from best to worst.
Tim Truzy from U.S.A. on February 20, 2018:
Thank you. That's interesting. I grew up with all of these guys. It's where morality is clear cut.
Your article filled in a lot of the confusing gaps for me.
I appreciate your work in a well written article.
Nathan Jasper (author) from Sylva, NC on February 20, 2018:
Tim - As of now, they are not included. Fox has owned them since the first came out in 2005. But now that Disney has bought Fox, it's possible they will be introduced into the MCU in the future.
Tim Truzy from U.S.A. on February 20, 2018:
Interesting. My question: Does the Fantastic Four fall in this time line? I remember watching their movies and I wondered why they are excluded? Silver Surfer, Dr. Doom, Ben Grim, not in this for the foreseeable future?