Margaret Minnicks has been an online writer for many years. She writes about various things, including celebrities and entertainment.
The finale of CBS's God Friended Me was on Sunday, December 16, 2018. The ending of the first half of Season 1 was an episode that will no doubt cause viewers to watch the series when the second half returns on Sunday, January 6, 2019.
Viewers saw how close the finale hit home for Miles Finer, played by Brandon Micheal Hall. Even though he brought up the subject of his mother's death in almost every episode, the finale was centered entirely around her death, how she was killed in a car accident and who the drunk driver was who killed her.
In fact, the drunk driver was Miles' final friend's request before the first season ended.
Sunday’s episode was so appropriately titled as 17 Years. It focused on addressing the past and also focused on forgiveness. Miles had been dealing with his mother's death since he was eight years old. He was stunned when he received a friend request to connect with Charles Cole, the drunk driver who killed his mother in a car accident seventeen years ago.
Miles did not want to connect with the driver, but his team wouldn't let him continue to refuse to help the now 35-year-old man. Cole has killed Miles' mother by drunkenly speeding through a busy city intersection when he was only 18 years old. It happened on the night after he completed his fireman training and had been out celebrating with other graduates from the academy.
The Finale of "God Friended Me"
Miles eventually meets Cole face-to-face and while helping him, he helped himself to forgive and think of the memories of his mom without being bitter about the way she died. She was on her way home the very day she had gotten news from her doctor that she had beaten cancer.
The newest CBS drama averaged approximately 8 million viewers a week. The lead character, Brandon Micheal Hall, had been acting only a short time after graduating from Juilliard in 2015. The officials of the series made a very good choice in selecting him to play the lead. It is hard to imagine anyone else being the recipient of the God account on Facebook.
Miles has a good team working him that includes Cara, played by Violette Bean and Rakesh, played by Suraj Sharma. His father, played by Joe Morton, a Harlem Episcopal pastor is also a great access to the series. His caring and soft-spoken demeanor is quite a switch from playing Eli Pope on Scandal with Kerry Washington as his daughter. That Shonda Rhimes' series ended on April 19, 2018 after seven seasons. On that show, Morton was an evil man.
On God Friended Me, the 71-year-old father and veteran actor, is well respected by his parishioners and his two children. At first, he was totally against the God account that Miles is handling. Slowly, Rev. Arthur Finer has come around. In some episodes, he played a major part in assisting his son with the account.
Miles and his friends helped Cole get some relief from his pain of 17 years and so did Miles. After that storyline was concluded, viewers saw a snippet of what to expect in the first episode of Season 2.
Miles, Cara, and Rakesh got one step closer to finding out who is behind the God account. Pria seems to have more information to share with the team. Remember, she was the one who gave them a hard copy of the paper she wrote about who might be connected with the God account.
The producers promised to shed more light on the subject in the next season. They also remind viewers that the focus of the series is not to convert anyone. Rather, it is a good conversation starter about human nature and how people can help people when they are in need.
What to Expect When the Series Returns
The finale ended with a cliffhanger that gave viewers more information about the God account. Officials say the storyline will continue when God Friended Me returns.
Expect to see more exciting things in less than a month. Entertainment Weekly interviewed executive producers Steven Lilien and Bryan Wynbrandt and the show’s star, Brandon Micheal Hall. They teased fans about what to expect in Season 2.
- Viewers saw Paria, played by Parminder Nagra, make a cameo appearance during the last few seconds of Season 1. In Season 2, she will share important information about Falken and Henry Chase. In other words, viewers will get more insight into the mystery of the God account.
- The producers say they always wanted to use the first season as a journey for Miles and his father to bond so they can work closely together in the next season. In the first half of Season 1, there were some episodes that involved Rev. Finer and his church. There will be more episodes where father and son will work together. In fact, the next episode will have Rev. Finer unofficially joining his son's team to help someone.
- Producers and writers say they knew they wanted Miles to be directly involved in the healing process of his mother's death in the finale so they can explore a much bigger picture in the second half of the season. They felt Miles could not focus on what is about to happen while he was still bitter about the cause of his mother's death. In other words, expect to see a much bigger picture of Miles and his God account.
- Miles will be able to move on now that he has been gotten rid of unforgiveness. Fans will see another major relationship developing. The relationship will develop between Miles and Cara now that Eli is out of the picture. She gave up a dream promotion so she can continue to work on the God account and spend time with Miles. Did you see that they almost kissed in the finale?
- A new character will be introduced in the next episode. The producers promised to get right into letting viewers know what is going on so they can get a sense of who is behind the God account and why.
Pam Brown on December 29, 2018:
Yes I need help in relationship with my mom
Margaret Minnicks (author) from Richmond, VA on December 26, 2018:
The team was looking for an article about someone who knows about the God account. The page was torn out of the magazine. They searched for the author of the article. It was Priya. She gave them a copy of the article.
Laura Williford on December 25, 2018:
Please remind me where we met Priya earlier in the season? How do we know that character in the show please?
Chloe on December 21, 2018:
Season 2? It's the second half of Season 1 in January. 17 Years was just the midseason finale.