Funny Movies That Will Make You Laugh
A list of 9 funny movies that make you laugh. A movie a day keeps the doctor away. It has been written that laughter is the best medicine. Over the last few decades scientists have put together enough evidence to prove the benefits of laughter. What a better way to find laughter, than in a funny movie?
Laughter blunts stress and pain. So you will want to watch a funny movie that doesn't make you sad. Exhilarating laughter increase levels of endorphins in the brain. Laughter can ease anxiety, anger, and even depression. If there is a way to decrease depression and anxiety by laughing, it is well worth a try. Grab the popcorn, your favorite drink, and settle in for a comedy that will make you laugh.
Michael Miller, director of the Center For Preventive Cardiology at the University Of Maryland Center suggests having 15 minutes daily or more of laughter, may be another important therapeutic lifestyle measure for maintaining a vibrant healthy heart.
Digging through piles of comedy's these movies are chuck full of laughter. No sadness allowed. Go ahead pick one and start laughing your bad mood away.
A List Of 9 Comedy Movies
1. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective- Starring Jim Carrey, Courtney Cox, Sean Young and Dan Marino. In this enthusiastic comedy Jim Carrey play Ace Ventura a goofy pet detective looking for the Miami Dolphins missing mascot. A real dolphin they call Snowflake. Ace doesn't have much to go on, except a missing diamond from a Super Bowl ring found in Snowflake's pool.
2. Liar Liar- Jim Carrey, Maura Tierney, and Jennifer Tilly star in Liar, Liar about a man who tells lies 24/7. Jim Carrey plays Fletcher Reede, a divorce attorney who cannot tell the truth. He lies to everyone, so he doesn't have to hurt their feelings, or tell the truth. His son makes a birthday wish that he cannot tell a lie for 24 hours. It is hilarious watching Fletcher agonizing, over the fact he canot tell a lie.
3. Pee Wee's Big Adventure- Pee Wee's Big Adventure starring Paul Reuban in the movie version of Pee Wee's Playhouse. Pee Wee Herman's biggest adventure starts out with Pee Wee setting out to find his most prized possession: His stolen bicycle. He encounters a slew of wild characters on his big adventure across America. Also starring Elizabeth Daly, Mark Holten, and Diane Salinger. Directed by Tim Burton.
4. Bruce Almighty- Yet another Jim Carrey movie. Director Tom Shadyac also directed Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Liar Liar. This time they bring you Bruce Nolan a crabby Buffalo, NY TV reporter who would do anything to have the lead anchor job. Unfortunate for him, his rival wins the job instead. Bruce goes on a whining spree cursing God for everything wrong in his life. God shows up and offers Bruce his position as God, so he can fix everything wrong with his life. Also starring Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carell.
5. Caddyshack- A hilarious comedy staring Bill Murray and Chevy Chase. As if this elite country club doesn't have enough trouble with a gopher running around intent on ruining the golf course. The greens keeper of the golf course soon takes the gopher on, only to be taunted obnoxiously. He dreams up more elaborate schemes to catch the gopher who is building underground tunnels. Also starring Michael O'Keefe, Ted Knight, and Rodney Dangerfield.
6. There's Something About Mary- Ben Stiller stars in this wacky comedy about a man who in high school dated his dream girl only to have it turn into disaster. Thirteen years later Ted still in love with Mary, hires a detective to find her. The detective finds her and starts dating her himself, so he finds ways to keep Ted away from her. But Ted eventually winds up in Mary's life, competing for her attention against the private detective he hired to find her.
7. National Lapoon's Christmas Vacation- It is that time again when the Griswolds are planning their family vacation. This time it is a Christmas vacation to make up for all the disastrous ones. But nothing ever runs smoothly for Clark, head of the household and his family. The Clark family decides to invite an assortment of relatives to join them at their Chicago home for Christmas. Clark sets up 20,000 Christmas lights, along with an oversized Christmas tree. What happens next is a crazy vacation the Griswolds will find electrifyinig for a long time to come.
8. Mrs. Doubtfire- Robin Williams plays divorced father Daniel Hillard of three children, who goes to great lengths to make sure he sees them on a regular basis. So transforms himself into an old Scottish woman he calls Mrs. Doubtfire. He gets himself hired as their maid. His ex-wife loves Mrs. Doubtfire because she keeps the children in order and well behaved. Unknown to her, Mrs. Doubtfire is really her ex-husband. The antics are hilarious as Daniel tries to maintain his female persona.
9. The 40 Year Old Virgin- Starring Steve Carell, as a 40 year old virgin. Once Andy's pals find out he has not had sex yet, they begin a mission to find the perfect date. Andy soon meets a mother of three whom he falls in love with, and she reciprocates his feelings. But the catch is they have agreed to a no sex relationship. This comedy also stars Cathrine Keener, Paul Rudd and Romany Malco.
Make Yourself Feel Good
Watching any one of these funny movies, I am sure you are going to have a laugh or two. There is nothing more enriching than watching a movie that makes you laugh out loud. There are plenty of movies with great drama, that make you sad, that touch your heart. Not these, these movies are films that will not make you sad. They touch hearts in a different, more gentler way. Do not worry so much about the acting being Ocsar caliber, the actor's in these movies deserve their own award for tickling our funny bones. Without laughter, what are we left with? Grab one of these comedies and let the laughter begin.
Get Your Giggle On
- Pet Peeves and Minor Irritations-Three Things That G...
A few humorous observations about pet peeves and what irritates me about the little things in life.
- Cat Behavior-Interesting Facts About Your Cat
If you are a devoted cat lover like me, and are curious about the little marvels your cat does. I enjoy the fascinating behavior of my cats.
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2010 Boo McCourt
Boo McCourt (author) from Washington MI on August 15, 2011:
I am glad you like my choices, thank you. I will have to check out Hancock, Will Smith always has some pretty good movies.
stars439 from Louisiana, The Magnolia and Pelican State. on August 12, 2011:
Wonderful hub. So true. There is so much good in happiness , and laughter. I like all your movie choices. Pee Wee was funny. There is a movie called "Hancock," staring Will Smith that is funny. He plays the role of a burned out super hero. Great Hub. God Bless You.
Boo McCourt (author) from Washington MI on July 12, 2011:
ruffridyer those are all funny movies that won't make you cry. I haven't sen those in a long time. Thanks for the heads up...
ruffridyer from Dayton, ohio on July 12, 2011:
You didn't mention Airplane or Naked Gun. Two of my favorites, also Young Frankenstien.
Boo McCourt (author) from Washington MI on December 30, 2010:
Thanks for reading, and taking the time to comment. I really think Liar Liar is one of the best ones.
PaperNotes on December 29, 2010:
I have to remember this list the next time I look around for films to watch. Thanks.
Boo McCourt (author) from Washington MI on December 20, 2010:
Thanks Chris, I am glad you like the list. Yes I have to say Jim Carrey has been a favorite of mine for years. Liar Liar is one of my all time favorite movies. Thank you for your comment :)
Chris Crow on December 20, 2010:
Great list. I love the early Jim Carrey movies. Ace Ventura is one of my favorites and Liar, Liar really will make you laugh and it's a feel good movie. 40 Year Old Virgin is the same--great characters and a great feel good and hilarious story.
Boo McCourt (author) from Washington MI on December 17, 2010:
Hi zindagi14s- I think Jim Carrey is fabulous, he does dramatic roles as good too. Thank you for the comment ;)
zindagi14s on December 16, 2010:
JIm Carry is pabalous
Boo McCourt (author) from Washington MI on December 16, 2010:
Thank you seanorjohn. Yes the title I thought fit well. There are to many sad movies this time of year. I don't like sad movies, especially at Christmas. I am glad you liked the list. And hope you enjoy the movies you haven't seen yet. I will most definitely be checking out your hubs. I like whimsical nonsense.
seanorjohn on December 14, 2010:
Great list. You sort of got it just right with the title. They are my types of films. And the good news for me is I haven't yet watched 4 of the films you mentioned. Looking forward to a happy fun Christmas watching them.
Voted up and awesome. Following you now, but please don't follow back cos am mostly writing whimsical nonsense.
Boo McCourt (author) from Washington MI on December 13, 2010:
Thank you. I love that movie, I will rent it and watch it with the kids, they are too young for cartoons now so it should be fun. Can't go wrong with Chevy Chase. :)
Paula from The Midwest, USA on December 11, 2010:
Great hub! What would we do without a good funny movie once in a while? Lately, been wanting to see Christmas Vacation again, as it is December. I never tire of that movie!
Boo McCourt (author) from Washington MI on December 11, 2010:
Sarah from Melbourne, Australia on December 09, 2010:
Great list :)