7. Tuatha de Danaan - Full Metal Panic!
The Tuatha de Danaan is a submarine that uses the most advanced technology which can only be obtained from the "Whispereds" like Kaname Chidori and Tessa Testarossa. Despite its huge size, it can travel in invisible mode and go undetected by other sea vehicles (which makes it really cool). However, the main reason why the Danaan made it on this list is because it is home to three very cool mecha pilots - Melissa Mao, Kurz Weber and Sagara Sousuke :D
- You get to stay in the "safest place on earth" as some characters of the series describe it (in the Full Metal Panic!, universe at least)
- You get to experience high technology at its best!
- Not for those who are afraid of rolling in the deep... waters.
6. Dokodemo Door / Anywhere Door - Doraemon
One of Doraemon's coolest gadgets that can be obtained from his magic pocket is the Dokodemo door. "Dokodemo" literally translates to "anywhere" meaning you just have to take out the door from Doraemon's pocket, think of the place you want to go to, open the door and voila! - get transported to your desired destination anywhere on earth (or possibly even the galaxy) whether that place be the mountains, the beach, or Shizuka's bathroom!
- Travel long distances instantly
- According to doraemon.mangawiki.org, the Dokodemo door can travel a maximum distance of 100,000 light years
- Because the maximum distance is a hundred thousand light years, the door cannot access far far away galaxies and thus one can not travel to the end of the universe (if there is an end to the universe). But seriously, you call that a con?
5. Instant Transmission Technique - Dragon Ball Series
The Instant Transmission Technique was a technique acquired by Goku from the Yadrats which enables the user to travel from one point to another in an instant. The technique is very unique that Goku is the only known user on earth. However Cell later acquires the technique after absorbing Goku's cells. Other known users are Gogeta and Vegito, both fusion products of Goku and Vegeta using different fusion techniques.
- Travel long distances (up to light years) instantly
- No vehicle/gadget required, just pure, hard concentration
- Instant Transmission user may take passengers with him/her as long as the other person touches the user
- It took Goku a whole year to master this technique. We, mere humans, might take years, decades, or it may be really impossible for us that one might just consider learning to fly instead, just like Videl did
- Instant Transmission user cannot take the entire world as passengers even if it is the only way to save the human population from a possible world destruction
Goku shows his newly learned technique to everyone
4. Puffing Tom - One Piece
The Puffing Tom is the only known sea train on the Grand Line and the entire One Piece universe. It was made by one of the best shipwrights in the Grand Line - Tom's Workers. The sea train connects several islands together enabling both trade and travel. What makes it Puffing Tom cool? A sea train is plain genius!
- Way, way faster than a ship
- Puffing Tom follows a schedule so you cannot just ride it anytime you want to
3. Take-copter - Doraemon
The take-copter is one of the most used gadgets in the Doraemon series which also comes very handy (as if anything doesn't come handy with Doraemon's pocket). The user just needs to attach the take-copter to his or head and voila! - get to fly at your whim! Why is the take-copter cool? It was as if the user was given wings, but without the need of physical effort as the take-copter operates using batteries.
- C'mon, flying is everyone's dream
- Cannot travel long distances because of short battery life. According to doraemon.mangawiki.org, maximum battery life is 8 hours at 80km/hour with continuous operation
2. Going Merry - One Piece
Going Merry is the first ship of the Straw Hat Pirates given to them as a reward for saving a rich girl named Kaya. As the anime series progressed, all the crew members become attached to Merry (her nickname) but had to dispose of her after sustaining several damages which turned out to be beyond repair. Because the Straw Hat Pirates truly cared for Merry, the ship took on a human form in order to repair itself and bring Luffy and the gang to the next island safely. Why did Merry made it to the top 2 coolest means of transportation in the anime world? Because nothing beats sailing the seas with one's nakama :)
Indirect translation for nakama = "friend", "comrade", "crewmate"
- Free tangerines from Nami's tangerine trees
- Get to cuddle Toni Toni Chopper
- Get to sit on Luffy's favorite seat
- Free tasty meals courtesy of Sanji
- All passengers including guests are required to help repair Merry every time she is damaged (by the Straw Hat Pirates themselves most of the time)
1. Thousand Sunny - One Piece
And the coolest ship ever is the Thousand Sunny! I firmly believe that the Straw Hat Pirates' second ship is the coolest thing in the world. Like the Puffing Tom, it was also built by the best shipwrights from Water 7. Sunny's pride is her Soldier Dock System, the best of which is Channel 2, (a mini-Merry or a mini-boat that resembles Merry), which was made as a tribute to their old ship. The Thousand Sunny is also capable of a maneuver called Coup the Burst which enables the ship to fly into the air for at least a kilometer, enabling the crew to escape their pursuers. Personally, I fell in love with the Thousand Sunny because of its romantic aquarium bar. The aquarium is a lovely view, plus they get to keep their catch fresh!
Because I myself became attached to Merry while watching the series, I almost gave the coolest means of transportation title to her, even if Sunny is bigger, better and grander. However, I realized that it is best to sail the seas with more nakama like Franky and Brook so, that explains it!
Congratulations, Thousand Sunny!
In no particular order:
- Sakura's staff / Sakura's wand - Card Captor Sakura
- Kintoun cloud - Dragon Ball Series
- Conan's skateboard - Detective Conan
- Catbus - My Neighbor Totoro
- Botan's oar - Yu Yu Hakusho
Any transportation technique/vehicle I missed? I am willing to revise this so comment now! XD
Hope you enjoyed this one too :)
Agree or Disagree?
Bob on February 04, 2016:
Forgot about the mighty Dullahan from Devil is a part timer
Sam on June 21, 2013:
Space and time key from Sailor Moon. It allows you to travel to the past or future.
Naomi Starlight from Illinois on June 05, 2013:
Oh yeah, I love the Wheel of Time series. I think some of the names in the series are shout-outs to Arthurian legend as well.
Another thing about this article. I liked almost all the modes of transportation they had in Trigun, even though many of them aren't different from their real-world counterparts (trains, horseback riding, etc.). But I thought there was a really fun creativity that went into designing things like the sand steamer.
David Trujillo Uribe from Medellin, Colombia on June 05, 2013:
In the Wheel Of Time fantasy book series, the" Tuanthan" are a traveling community very much like gypsies that only practice peaceful ways. It’s good to hear they have a real religious background.
Naomi Starlight from Illinois on June 05, 2013:
Interesting tidbit, Tuatha de Dannan means "people of Dannan", Dannan being a Celtic goddess. The Tuatha de Dannan were a mystical race of fair folk said to travel the world with the goddess. Interesting thing to reference in a show like Full Metal Panic.
And yes, as a kid I totally wanted my own Nimbus cloud from Dragon Ball. That thing was sweet!
I would definitely put Kiki's broom and Howl's Moving Castle on here, too!
David Trujillo Uribe from Medellin, Colombia on May 06, 2013:
Howl´s moving castle has to be in this list. The castle has some moving chicken legs (if I remember well), a fire demon that powered it and a multi-universe door that opened up to different cities and even a secret garden. This is one of my favorite anime movies.
Others I half remember:
- He-Man´s green tiger was nasty looking (may not be anime though)
- Bulma´s tiny capsules that turned into flying cars (very practical, from Dragon Ball)
- The motorcylces from Akira (they even exist in real life)
Ayu (author) from Sorajima on April 17, 2013:
Are you referring to the shunpo/flash steps from Bleach? If so, well I thought that's kinda walking/running/hopping fast so I didn't think of it as a means of transportation. But if we're talking about Yorouichi's shunpo then I can give it a thought since she's known as the fastest shunpo user that's why she was given the "Goddess of Flash" title.
shaoren on April 17, 2013:
u forgot shunpo/hirainkyu
the anyone can travel using this form of transportaion.
can go a long distance without limit and no limit on number of times
when first learned,can only travel short distance.
can only be used by 1 person at a time
similar to instant transmission but easier version
Ayu (author) from Sorajima on April 15, 2013:
Re Macross, I know mecha fans will have lots to say about this but the reason why there are no mecha finalists is because I think that piloted robots function as weapons for battles more than as a means of transportation. And as there are lots of mecha animes out there, I think it is a better idea to come up with a list of the best mecha/robot in a separate hub. However, I haven't seen enough mecha anime yet so i cannot promise anything of the sort anytime soon.
As for Bebop, I kinda agree about that too. In fact when I checked out articles similar to this one, the Bebop is almost always there.
And, yeah, Ah! My Goddess, will have to add that to my anime line-up :) (Currently completing FMA Brotherhood right now)
And thanks for the feedback, as always :)
Nigel Kirk from Calgary, AB, CAN on April 15, 2013:
I like Urd's broom in Ah! My Goddess. The fact that the broom is sentient and has a crush on Belldandy often has some hilarious moments. If you read the manga, Hilda's broom is really awesome too.
Will English on April 15, 2013:
The Yamato and the Macross, the tranforming jets from Macross / Robotech (i forget what they are called), the Zeta Gundam, the Mach 5, Kanda's Motorcycle (from Akira) and the Bebop, can't forget the Bebop lol. Good list though.