Scientology is, for the most part, shadowed in mystery. Much about the religion is not known, and any information that has been made public knowledge has come from deserters of the religion. Some call it a cult. Others call it a 'rich man's club.' Even more call it brainwashing. But many find solace in it's teachings and support the religion fervently.
Most of us have heard the stories about Tom Cruise and his religious preference. He went on the Today Show and attacked Matt Lauer for being 'glib' about the merits of psychotherapy. He got into a war of the words with Brooke Shields over post-partum depression. There were unconfirmed news stories that, when Cruise's wife Katie Holmes was giving birth to their daughter Suri, the delivery was a silent birth in accordance with the teachings of Scientology. Allegedly, flash cards and posters were used for directions and encouragement instead of spoken words.
Along with John Travolta, Cruise is probably the most visible of all celebrity Scientologists, though there are plenty others. There are an estimated eight million people who consider themselves followers of Scientology all over the globe.
Here is a list of current and former members of Scientology who also happen to be famous.
Note: This is not an attempt to boycott, ridicule or otherwise damage anyone's reputation. It is simply a list of public people participating in a specific religion. All information is drawn from public sources.
- Ron Howard - Actor turned director.
- Kirstie Alley - Joined Scientology years ago and credits the religion with helping her rid herself of her cocaine addiction.
- Catherine Bell - Former J.A.G. and Military Wives actress.
- Nancy Cartwright - Bart Simpson's voice actor.
- Jenna Elfman - Actress best known for her role as Dharma on Dharma and Greg.
- Peaches Geldolf - Model. Daughter of Bob Geldolf.
- Jason Lee - Earl from My Name is Earl.
- Juliette Lewis - Actress also used Scientology to treat a drug addiction.
- Bijou Phillips - Actor, daughter of The Mamas and the Paps singer John Phillips.
- Giovanni Ribisi - Actor who appeared in Avatar. His sister Marissa is also a Scientologist.
- Billy Sheehan - Bass player who has worked with David Lee Roth and Mr. Big.
- Greta Van Susteren - FOX News host.
- Chick Corea - Jazz pianist.
- Edgar Winter - Legendary 1970s musician.
- Brandy Norwood - Musician and actress known as Brandy.
- Priscilla Presley - Actress and former wife of Elvis Presley.
- Lisa Marie Presley - Singer and daughter of Elvis, has reportedly left the religion.
- Rob Thomas - Singer best known for Matchbox Twenty.
- Beck Hansen - Singer best known as simply Beck was also raised in the religion.
- Laura Prepon - Actress from That 70's Show.
- Leah Rimini - Actress best known for King of Queens.
- Elisabeth Moss - Actress from Mad Men.
- Sonny Bono - Actor/politician was Roman Catholic, but converted for his wife.
- Isaac Hayes - Soul singer left the cast of South Park when it attacked the church.
- Danny Masterson - Actor from That 70's Show.
- Erika Christensen - Actress, was raised in the church.
- William S Burroughs - Writer and novelist.
- Neil Gaiman - English author and screenplay writer.
- Leonard Cohen - Musician and writer.
- Mimi Rogers - Actress and former wife of Tom Cruise. She reportedly introduced him to Scientology.
- Demi Moore - Actress who is now into Kabalah.
- Jerry Seinfeld - Actor and comedian.
- Patrick Swayze - Actor best known for Dirty Dancing.
- Nicole Kidman - Actress and former wife of Tom Cruise.
- Mimi Rogers - Actress and former wife of Tom Cruise. She has since left the church.
Top Ten Unfortunate Scientology Celebrities
Chuck Bluestein from Morristown, AZ, USA on October 16, 2013:
Many years ago when babies were born, they used forceps on them to pull them out and the mother had very little contact with the baby.
Now the modern way of delivering babies is to have the room not very bright and quiet so it will be similar to how it was in the womb. Also the mother holds the baby so the baby will be in contact with the person it was in contact with for 9 months and the baby can detect the breathing and heart beats of the mother.
Chuck Bluestein from Morristown, AZ, USA on October 16, 2013:
Actually if people could not read then the bible would not help and then you could say that much about the Christian religion is not known. If you want to learn about the Christian religion, whose opinion should you listen to?
Well anyone can buy and read a bible. Well you can go to the library and borrow a book on Scientology or you can go to amazon.com and and buy and read a book on Scientology. There are many different ones since there is a lot to learn.
Like they have a whole section of information about if people are using words and do not know what they mean, they can get very confused. So they encourage people to use dictionaries even though they did not write them.
Michele Travis from U.S.A. Ohio on September 21, 2013:
There is more truth about Scientology. The use celebrities like ads for the
"church"? More evidence is coming out. The internet is telling the truth about them. Can the sue the internet?
GH Price (author) from North Florida on June 30, 2012:
Some people would argue that all religions are cults. I guess it's how we see them.
marie on June 30, 2012:
Religion.should be talking about accepting all sorts of people and talk about Christ and be gd people.They brainwash,judge and r möney hungry mental fakes.Scientology is an EVIL CULT.
chuckaluck on June 14, 2012:
Google Louis Farrakhan +Scientology
Louis Is into it big time
add former actress Mariah O'Brien, to the list shes Geovanni Ribisi EX wife
She Is in the news she was recently arrested and charged with 23 felonies her Scientologist husband Trae Carlson was charged with 40 felonies! Hes Erin Hamilton's Ex (Carol Burnetts daughter)
Modok from VA on June 14, 2012:
Ug, scientology. Creepier than mormons...
GH Price (author) from North Florida on June 14, 2012:
I don't know if the silent birth thing is true, it was a rumor going around at the time.
Thanks again for the comment!
Jamie Sykes from Lewisville, North Carolina on June 14, 2012:
I didn't realize Ron Howard, Brandy Norwood, and Greta Van Susteren were Scientologists.
And as far as having a silent birth? I think that's insane. You can't help but want to scream when something the size of a watermelon is coming out a hole the size of a lemon!