Ayesha Khan is a chemical engineer by profession. She loves traveling, solitude, reading books, and writing & also a BTS fan.
BTS and records are not strangers to each other. In the past, they broke and made many records including Twitter, Tik-Tok, Guinness world record, Spotify, YouTube, etc. BTS has really reached over every platform but, they are not alone their fans also supported them in making these records. It seems like they are making and breaking records every day. But for now, let's have a look at the BTS's top 23 records
1. Popular Twitterati:
BTS is a K-pop band that is popular on Twitter in terms of tweets and search. BTS's popularity makes them the most searched celebrity of 2020 on Twitter. According to BBC 2018, BTS each tweet having an average of 330,624 re-tweets, replies, likes, and other interactions. They broke the record of Harry styles he held the record with 147,653 engagements per tweet.
Most popular hashtags:
#iVoteBTSBBMA’s with 47 million tweets in 24 hours.
Drake‘s #InMyFeelings challenge in J-Hope‘s version topped twitter in 2018 with 1.85 million views and counting.
#TwitterBestFandom was most tweeting record set by the army in 2019, with tweeting this hashtag 60,055,339 times
Most Followed Twitter Account in Korea:
In 2020, BTS's Twitter account @BTS_twt became the first Korean account to gain over 22 million Twitter followers.
Jung kook’s cover video of Lauv’s song Never Not is the second most-re-tweeted tweet of the year 2020, with over 25 million views and 1.6 million re-tweets. That post also became the fastest tweet by a Korean artist to reach two million likes and is the sixth most-liked post on the social media site of all time.
2. Live Concerts Records:
- BTS made history on 1 and 2 June 2019, as the first Korean and non-English band to perform at the iconic Wembley Stadium, the largest concert stage in the UK, where legendary acts like Queen, Michael Jackson, The Rolling Stones, Beyonce, and Adele have performed. They sold their Love Yourself: Speak Yourself tour tickets in just 90 minutes.
- In June 2020, on the day of their 7th debut anniversary, BTS held a 100-minute long online live concert, Bang Bang Con: The Live. The concert was the first collaborative effort between Big Hit and Kiswe (a live streaming solution company in the US) with 756,000 viewers from 107 countries and territories.
- Also in 2020, BTS break their own record of 100 minutes long online live concert by hosting a two-day concert, at KSPO Dome in Seoul, called Map of the Soul ONE, with 993,000 viewers from 191 countries.
3. Most Viewed Music Video In 24 hours:
- ''Blood, Sweat & Tears'' (2016): Gained over six million views and broke all the previous records of YouTube that held for the highest number of views of K-pop video within 24 hours.
- ''DNA'' (2017): Gained 20 million views within the 24 hours of release.
- ''Idol'' (2018): Gained 45 million views which broke the record of Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do" video.
- ''Boy with Love'' (2019): Gained 74.6 million views which broke the record of Blackpink's''Kill this Love'' video.
- English Single ''Dynamite'' (2020): Broke all their previous record by surpassing 100 million views in less than 24 hours.
4. First-Ever K-pop Act's nomination and winning at BBMA:
- In 2017, BTS was the first K-pop act that was nominated in the Billboard music awards for the Top Social Artist Award. They became the first K-pop act that won that award and broke Justin Bieber’s six-year record.
- In 2019, BTS became the first K-pop act that was nominated for the main award category. They were nominated for the Top Duo/Group. Their win made them the first K-pop act that won that award.
- In 2020, BTS again won the Top Social Artist award. This is their fourth consecutive year of winning the Top Social Artist Award from 2017-2020.
5. Hit Albums on Billboards (2015-2020):
- The Most Beautiful Moment In Life Pt 2(2015): This album peaked at number one on both the Billboard World Album and Heatseekers Album charts. Made BTS the first K-pop act to have the same album spend more than one week on top of the Billboard World Albums chart. This album remained overall at number one for four weeks.
- Wings (2016): This album debuted at number 26 on the U.S Billboard 200, which is considered as the highest chart ranking ever for a K-pop act. BTS became the first Korean group to top the Billboard Social 50 chart.
- Love Yourself: Her (2017): This album debuted at number seven on the Billboard 200. This album's sale was the highest monthly sales in the chart’s history. And was the highest on any Korean chart in 16 years after the 2001 God’s Chapter 4 album.
- Love yourself: Tear (2018): This album debuted at number one on Billboard 200. It became the first foreign-language album to reach number one on Billboard 200. It also became the first K-pop album to top the U.S. albums chart and the highest-charting album by an Asian act. Till November 2019, this album remained on the charts for 52 non-consecutive weeks, making it the first and currently only K-pop album to do so.
- Love yourself: Answer (2018): This album debuted at number one on Billboard 200. It was BTS’s second album of 2018 that debuted on Billboard at number one.
- Map of the Soul: Persona (2019): This album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200. This album broke the 24-year record of Kim Gun-mo's 1995 studio album Wrongful Encounter. By selling at least 3.3 million copies in one month by making it the best-selling album in South Korea.
- Map of the Soul: 7 & B.E (2020): This album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200.
6. Singles That Made Place in Top 10 of Billboards:
BTS's songs also made a place in the top 10 of the Billboard 100 & 200 charts and became the first K-pop act that made a place in the Top 10 with their singles.
- In May 2018, “Fake Love” debuted at No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- In April 2019, “Boy With Luv” (featuring American singer Halsey) debuted at No. eight on the U.S. Billboard 100. And in 2019, BTS became the first K-Pop act to remain on the Billboard 200 for the entire year.
- In August 2020, Dynamite debuted at number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and become the fastest-selling single since Taylor Swift’s “Look What You Made Me Do” (2017) with over 260,000 sales. BTS earned their first chart-topper with this song. Also, they become the first South Korean act to do so.
- In August 2020, BTS became the first all-South Korean act to reach number one on both Billboard Global 200 and US Billboard Hot 100 with their single “Dynamite.”
- In October 2020, BTS remix the American singer Jason Derulo's song ''Savage love (Laxed-Siren Beat)''. This remix reached number one on the U.S.billboard Hot 100 become the second number one song of the year after Dynamite. This song also reached number one on the Billboard Global 200. Made BTS the first group to simultaneously hold the top two spots on the Hot 100 in a decade since Black Eyed Peas in 2009.
- "Life Goes On" debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It became the band's third number-one single in the United States. With the release of this song, the BTS achieved the fastest three number-one songs since the Bee Gees from 1977-1978. It is also the first Korean song to debut number one on the Hot 100 in the chart’s 62-year history.
7. BTS And The Beatles:
BTS is always compared with The Beatles in terms of their top-charting album and it's true BTS is the only Korean band that topped the Billboard 200 with five consecutive albums. Previously, The Beatles had the record to top the Billboard 200 with five consecutive albums. Below are the BTS's albums that help them to achieve The Beatle’s record:
- Love Yourself: Tear in May 2018
- Love Yourself: Answer in August 2018
- Map of the Soul: Persona in April 2019
- Map of the Soul: 7 in February 2020.
- BE: in November 2020.
The Beatles consecutively hit No 1 on Billboard 200 five times from July 30, 1966, to December 28, 1968.
8. Highest Album Sales Ever on Gaon Music Chart:
Gaon music chart is also known as the Korean Billboard chart. BTS albums always made a place on top of the chart as the highest-selling album in the history of Korea. In 2020, BTS’s album Map of Soul: 7 recorded sales of 4.1 million copies in just 9 days after release makes it the highest-selling album in the history of Korea. It was the first album to be certified by Quadruple million. It also broke the previously held record of BTS album Map of Soul: Persona (2019) recorded sale for this album was 3.7 million.
9. First Asian to Top on Five Largest Music Charts:
Map of the soul: Persona (2019) album debuted at number one at the same time in countries such as Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States. BTS became the first Asian act to top the charts in the world’s five largest music markets.
10. Recording Industry Association of America Certification:
BTS is the first K-pop group to receive RIAA certification on songs and albums in the United States.
- Singles: Mic Drop Remix", "DNA" and ‘’Idol’’ were received Gold certification from the RIAA. Later "Mic Drop" & idol were also received Platinum certification.
- Korean Album: Love yourself: Answer: Received Gold and Platinum-certification from the RIAA in November.
11. Recording Industry Association of Japan Certification:
In 2017, BTS single ''Crystal Snow'' become the highest-selling Kpop single in Japan, and in the same year, BTS became the only foreign artist to receive certified double platinum by the RIAJ on their single.
12. Certification From United Kingdom:
BTS is the first K-pop Act to receive certifications on singles and albums from the United Kingdom.
- Silver Certification Singles: “Boy With Luv”, “Mic Drop” and “Dynamite.’’
- Silver Certification Album: ''Love Yourself: Tear'', ''Love Yourself: Her'', "Face Yourself'', ''Map of the Soul: 7'', and ''The Most Beautiful Moment in Life: Young Forever.''
- Gold certifications Albums: ''Love Yourself: Answer'' and ''Map of the Soul: Persona.''
13. First Asian Artist to Surpass 5 Billion Streams on Spotify:
In 2019, BTS was the first K-Pop group, and the first Asian artist overall to surpass 5 billion streams on Spotify.
14. Most-Streamed K-Pop Song on Spotify:
- On Oct. 2, Forbes reported that BTS's ''Boy With Luv'' featuring Halsey, was played on Spotify almost 285 million times, making it the most-streamed K-Pop song ever on the platform.
- In 2020, On Aug. 21, ''Dynamite'' debuted at number one on Spotify’s daily Global Top 50 chart. The song achieved 7.778 million streams within a day, and beat Taylor Swift’s previous record of 7.742 million streams of ''Cardigan.'' BTS holds the title of the biggest Spotify debut of 2020. ''Dynamite'' is the first and only song by a Korean artist to ever debut at the top position on the chart. Also, the BTS reached number one on Spotify’s Global Top 50 the first time.
15. Fastest Artist to Reach 100 No.1s on iTunes:
BTS is the only artist to have five songs that achieved 100 No.1s on iTunes. “Moon,” “My Time,” “Your Eyes Tell,” and “Black Swan” achieved more than 100 No.1s on iTunes. The song Black Swan also beat Adele's record of 102 No.1s on iTunes. Then in 2020, the biggest record smasher “Dynamite” achieved 100 No.1s on iTunes within 8 hours, made BTS the fastest artist to ever reach 100 iTunes No.1s.
16. Fastest Artist to Reach One Million Followers on Tik-Tok:
BTS joined Tik-Tok on Sept. 25, 2019. On Oct. 23, the Guinness World Records organization announced that BTS gained one million Tik-Tok followers in a record time of 3 hours and 31 minutes after joining. According to stats from Tik-Tok, after 13 hours the group had gained two million followers and over four million likes on their debut post. After 59 hours, less than two-and-a-half days, they reached three million fans.
17. First K-pop Act On American Music Awards (AMA):
- In 2017, BTS performed in AMA as the first k-pop group. It was the first time any K-pop group to perform in a major US award show.
- In 2018, BTS became the first Korean act nominated in AMA for the Favorite Social Artist category and they won that award. BTS won the Favorite Social Award in 2019 & 2020 as well.
- In 2019, they became the first K-Pop act nominated for the main award of Favorite Duo or Group – Pop/Rock in AMA. And they won that award. BTS won that award in 2020 as well.
- In 2019, BTS was the first K-pop act awarded with the American Music Award for the Tour of the year on their Love Yourself World Tour.
18. First K-pop Act on MTV Video Music Awards (VMA):
- In 2020, BTS became the first K-pop act to perform on MTV VMAs. They performed their single ''Dynamite'' on MTV VMAs.
- BTS became the first Asian act ever to be nominated for the awards at the MTV VMAs 2020. They were nominated for the Best Group, Best Pop, Best K-pop and they won all the mentioned awards.
- BTS also received the Best Choreography award for their Music video ‘’On.’’
After performing at the 2020 MTV VMAs, BTS became the first Korean act to perform at all four major music award shows in the United States. BTS has performed till now on America Music Awards, the Grammy Awards, the Billboard Music Awards, and the MTV VMAs.
19. First K-pop Act on Grammy:
- BTS appeared at the 2019's Grammy Awards as the first Korean act to present an award on the show. The group handed over the Best R&B album award to H.E.R.
- In 2020, BTS performed alongside Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus, and Diplo at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards. This performance made BTS the first Korean act to perform at the Grammy.
- On November 24, the BTS group has included in the nominees for the Best Pop Duo/Group in Performance category at the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards (2021). For their song ''Dynamite''. They are the first K-pop group to be nominated for the Grammy.
20. First K-pop Group Act in Saturday Musical Live:
The band performed for the first time on April 13, 2019, as the musical guests on Saturday Night Live (making them the first K-Pop Group to perform on the show).
21. Recipient of Order of Cultural Merit:
Order of Cultural Merit is awarded for the "outstanding meritorious services in the fields of culture and art.’’ BTS has become the youngest ever recipient of the Order of Cultural Merit in Korea. Because of their noteworthy contributions in spreading Korean culture and language, they got the award in 2018 from the President of South Korea. These cultural medals traditionally being given to recipients with over 15 years of notable achievements. BTS received the award in the fifth year of its debut.
22. Youngest and only musician recipient of James A. Van Fleet Award:
This award is presented to ''Koreans or Americans in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the promotion of U.S.-Korea relations.” It is one of the most prestigious awards in U.S.–Korea relations. In 2020, in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the promotion and strengthening of U.S.-Korea relations through their music BTS became the youngest ever recipient of the James A. Van Fleet Award.
23. Time Magazine, Bloomberg & Forbes:
- BTS was included in Time's list of the 25 most influential people on the internet from 2017 to 2019.
- In October 2018, BTS made history as the first K-pop band to be featured on the Time's international edition cover page as "Next Generation Leaders.''
- In 2019, BTS was listed in Time's 100 most influential people of the year.
- In December of 2020, Time Magazine named BTS as the "Entertainer of the Year".
- BTS appeared in Bloom-berg Market's 50 most influential in 2018.
- BTS has topped the list of Forbes Korea Power Celebrity in 2018 and 2020. In 2017 they were ranked fifth and ranked second in 2019.
In 2019, BTS was ranked 43rd on Forbes' annual list of the 100 highest-paid celebrities as a first Korean act.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Aaeshaa K