Ara is a Journalism graduate from California State University Northridge who is always looking to explore his writing opportunities.
Yuko Oshima From AKB48's 2011 Calendar
Yuko Oshima Is So Popular That She Is Like a Household Name In Japan's Idol Industry
AKB48 Japanese idol singer Yuko Oshima has been one of the most recognizable faces in Japanese pop music and she is one of my favorite AKB48 idols! And because of that, I have decided to finally write about her! I
Note: unlike the other article about Oshima, this one will only focus on the more interesting aspects of her career and it will not address the acting side of her career. If you really want to know about Yuko Oshima and why she is so popular then keep reading!
I like to look at the popularity of Oshima this way: she is basically so popular in the Japanese idol industry that she is like a household name just like Scarlett Johansson is so popular in Hollywood.
Yuko Oshima Has Always Been One of AKB48's Most Popular Members
In her career with famous girl group AKB48, Oshima was at the top or very near the top in terms of her popularity. In the first AKB48 General Election in 2009, Oshima was ranked at #2 just behind Atsuko Maeda! However in 2010, AKB48 idol Yuko Oshima would rise to the top spot because of votes from the fans. As a result of this, she was named “center” for the single called Heavy Rotation. The song has since been sang by Indonesia based girl group JKT48. It still remains one of the group’s most popular songs. Oshima was born on October 17, 1988 in Togichi, Japan. She made her AKB48 debut back in 2006. This was shortly after AKB48 idols Atsuko Maeda and Minami Takahashi made their debuts with the group. Who is AKB48 idol Yuko Oshima?
Interesting Facts About AKB48 Idol Singer Yuko Oshima
- Her favorite musical artists are Beyonce and Rihanna.
- Her favorite food is cheese.
- Her favorite TV show is Pusma.
- Her favorite season is the beginning of summer.
- Her favorite AKB48 single is Keibetsu Shiteita Aijou.
- Yuko likes red things and traveling.
- She is skilled at sleeping, making impressions of others, snowboarding and long-distance running.
- Her charm points are said to be her eyes and dimples.
- When she was in AKB48 she was a member of the Cooking Club and Driving Club.
- She is also a member of the sub-group called Not Yet.
- Oshima was known as one of the best dancers in AKB48.
- At 13 years old, Oshima was a gravure idol before she joined AKB48.
- She remains close with Sae Miyazawa, Sayaka Akimoto, and Kayo Noro.
- Oshima was a member of the group Doll’s Vox in 2005.
- She is afraid of balloons.
- She has a pet rabbit named Hip.
- Oshima’s first on screen kiss was in the 4th episode of Watashi ga Renai Dekinai Riyuu.
- In high school, she played the bass guitar.
- In June 2011, Oshima posted on her blog what was thought to be a nude photo of her. However, it turned out that she was just teasing her fans.
- Oshima was also the bass player for the AKB48 singles GIVE ME FIVE and Heart Ereki. Note: Haruna Kojima was named center for Heart Ereki. She was still with AKB48 since 2006 when I first wrote about Oshima!
- She and Mayu Watanabe are referred to as “Oshiri Sisters.”
- She graduated from AKB48 to pursue an acting career.
The Face of Yuko Oshima
A Brief Look At What AKB48 Singles Oshima Took Part In
Oshima’s first single with AKB48 is the one called Aitakatta. She would also get a prominent place in the single Sayonara Crawl. Oshima would once again be chosen as the center for the song Mae shika Mukanee. Oshima would then take a vacation to Hawaii where AKB48 would film the music video for their song Labrador Retriever.
A Few More Reasons Why Yuko Oshima Was a Fan Favorite
In the 3rd AKB48 General Election in 2011, Oshima would be ranked #2. Then, she would get another #1 ranking in the 2012 General Election before getting a #2 ranking in 2013.
Perspective About Yuko Oshima's Graduation
Yuko Oshima's Flu Diagnosis, Interesting Train Ride & Graduation
But along the way, she would face adversity. In early 2013, Oshima was diagnosed with the flu and she would have to miss an event that was held to promote the song called UZA. Oshima announced in March 2014 that she intended to graduate from AKB48 for good. Initially, she was supposed to graduate on June 2014. However, because of a thunderstorm and wind gusts, Oshima’s graduation was rescheduled. It was then decided that Oshima’s graduation ceremony would take place at Ajinomoto Stadium on June 8, 2014. Almost two months before this, Oshima took an interesting train ride on the Yamanote Line. At that time, US President Barack Obama was visiting Japan.
Some People May Not Know That Yuko Oshima Has Released a Photo Book
In the summer of 2014, AKB48 idol Yuko Oshima really took her career to the next level. She released her first photo book called Nugiyagare! That photo book was made at a nude beach in Ibiza! I have discussed why Atsuko Maeda has been so important to Japan’s entertainment industry. But AKB48 idol Yuko Oshima has been important as well. She has been named center several times, been VERY popular with the fans, and most of all, she has beauty, charm, sexiness and class that few celebrities in the US have!
The Making of the Photo Book Nugiyagare Part 1
Thoughts About Yuko Oshima's Graduation from AKB48
Although it has been over five years since Yuko Oshima graduated from AKB48, some of you may still be in shock and that is understandable given how popular Yuko Oshima was and is. She was pretty much the longest tenured AKB48 member until Haruna Kojima surpassed her eventually. There's that old saying in sports that records are made to be broken though I don't really know if the number of days that Oshima spent as an AKB48 member is a record but she was a member for a long time and graduated at the age of 25. Oshima isn't my favorite AKB48 member but she is one of my favorites and she has since done stage acting work and even released a photo book while in Ibiza, Spain which was just discussed above.
© 2019 Ara Vahanian