Study techniques usually deals with the process of memorizing data's. Memorizing can be done by anyone. But recollecting those memorized data's stands out as a major factor which decides the power of your memory. Here you are going to learn about memory and techniques to improve it.
What is memory?
It is the result of learning process. It is the combination of three vital process namely encoding, storage and decoding.
Classification of Memory:
Memory is classified as follows:
It is further classified into
. Declarative Memory depends on our consciousness. It includes semantic and episodic memory. Semantic includes the memory of names, etc. Procedural includes memory of events such as marriage, etc.
. Procedural memory is independent of our consciousness. It includes our habitual actions such as driving, swimming, etc.
It is further classified into
. Sensory memory
. Long term memory
. Short term memory
Memory process includes three vital processes namely
. Encoding - Process of reception of data's
. Storing - Process of retention of data's
. Decoding - Process of recalling data's
REASONS FOR FORGETTING
The reasons for forgetting includes
. Poor listening
. Improper preparation
. Not paying enough attention
. Improper understanding of subject
STUDY TECHNIQUES BOOKS
- Study Tips 101: 101 Secrets for Studying Success by Joshua Shifrin
- Your Memory : How It Works and How to Improve It by Kenneth L. Higbee
- IMPROVE Your MEMORY - Discover Never-Forgetting Tips & Tricks
- Memory Tips for Math, Memorization and Learning Styles by Donnalyn Yates
- Learning to Learn: Strengthening Study Skills and Brain Power by Gloria Frender
- Help for the Struggling Student: Ready-to-Use Strategies and Lessons to Build Attention, Memory, and Organizational Skills by Mimi Gold
- College Study Skills: Becoming a Strategic Learner by Dianna L. Van Blerkom
- SOAR Study Skills by Susan Kruger Woodcock
- What Smart Students Know: Maximum Grades. Optimum Learning. Minimum Time. by Adam Robinson
STUDY TECHNIQUES LINKS
- How to study - More than 100 study tips and 75 articles on study techniques.
- Studygs - A public service helping learners to succeed since 1996. Good source of study techniques.
- Improve memory - Many tips on improving memory which can aid in learning process.
- Academic Tips - Many tips for students on taking exams, memory techniques, etc.
- Memory Improvement course - Online memory improvement course
- Study Tips - Get help for learning, writing, tests, etc.
- Study Skills Guide - Guide for study skills, study techniques, etc.
- Student tips - Study tips and techniques from students.
Study techniques - 1
Study techniques - 2
Memory techniques include
. Rhymes and songs
. Sentence framing
. Concept cards
. Story method
. Writing with your left hand
. LOCI method
- Using colorful images/symbols to represent information.
- Create jokes on data’s.
- Associate two things together. For e.g: Using car image to remember "Carlos ".
- You can associate images/smell/taste with things you want to remember.
- Create abbreviations for things you want to memorize.
- Example: 1) VIBGYOR - To remember rainbow colors.
2) IPMAT - To remember cell growth stages [I-Interphase, P-Prophase, M-Metaphase, A-Anaphase, T-Telophase]
Rhymes and Songs:
- Good for Auditory learners.
- Make a tune or rhyme of the things you want to remember.
- Beware of not spending more time in creating tunes/rhyme.
- Breaking information into bits/parts to ease memorizing process.
- Useful for memorizing numbers. E.g.: To memorize a number 98765432, you can divide it into parts such as 98 76 54 32 or 9876 5432.
- Humans have a capacity to remember 5 to 9 things in short term memory.
- Similar to acronym, use the first letters to frame sentences.
- E.g.: To remember Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Genes and Species, You can employ the use of sentence as King Pato Calls Obelix "Stupid ", where the first letters of each word points to kingdom, phylum, class, order, genes and species.
- Concept cards are nothing but flash cards.
. First take 2-3 pieces of paper depending upon the length of the information.
. Note down the topic, page number of the book, key-terms [acronyms / acrostics to help in remembering process] on the first page.
. In the second page, write about the topic [what have you learnt] in your own words.
. In the third page, draw diagrams/tabular columns/flow charts associated with the topic. You can even try pasting pictures related to the topic.
. Make some time to see them often as they can help in retaining information on that topic. Make it a practice to have at least 2-3 cards always with you, so that you can use them whenever you find time.
- Creating story is great job. It’s easy for students too.
- Eg: In order to memorize these words UNCLE, FOOD, DOG, SOFA, TV, NOTES, BEAT....Create story with these words as.....Uncle gave food for his dog. He sat on the sofa and started watching TV. Dog sees notes of uncle lying on the floor and starts playing with it. Uncle gets furious and beats it.....Isn't it interesting? Try this; it will make your learning process a fun-filled one.
- Here Right side of your brain gets a chance to develop. Creativity increases.
- Visualization helps in registering this information.
- Loud reciting helps in registering information better.
- Eg: Have you ever thought how small children remember their rhymes even though they do not know their meanings? This is mainly because of loud reciting, where all your senses are awakened, which makes remembering process an easier one.
Writing with your left-hand:
- Make use of your left-hand [for right hander] or right hand [for left hander] to practice writing equations, formulae’s, theories, etc.
- By doing this you get more concentration which results in good registration of those data's in your memory.
- It is the process of linking two information/things together.
1) Pen and paper - pen and paper are essential for writers.
2) Alexander and movie - Movie on Alexander was great.
- A partner is a must here. You can have your friend/parent/brother/sister as your partner here.
- Instruct your partner to ask questions from the topic, you are studying.
- Try to answer them.
- This helps in identifying the areas where you are lacking.
To study effectively, SQ3R method is useful. To analyze about yourself, Then try out SWOT analysis.
In order to improve the memory process, SQ3R method can be employed.
. S - Survey
. Q - Question
. R - Read
. R - Recite
. R - Review
- Analyzing the subject data’s in a precise manner.
- Take 5-10 minutes to find facts about the lesson.
- Asking questions to help in the process of remembering.
- Questions such as “What have I learnt from this?” can help in learning effectively.
- Reading the subject vividly.
- You can employ the usage of highlighters to highlight the important points.
- You can use pencil to write down the essence [key points] of the subject in the book itself.
- Recollecting information by reciting them often.
- Read information’s loud.
- This process helps in transferring information from short term memory to long term memory.
- Teaching others or imagining as if you are teaching others can help in this process.
- It helps in retaining information.
- It is an essential process.
SWOT ANALYSIS FOR STUDENTS
SWOT analysis is done to analyze one's Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats.
It should be done by the student itself to help him/her know about them in a better manner.
MODEL OF SWOT ANALYSIS
SWOT ANALYSIS STEPS
- Use your strength properly.
- Know your weakness exactly and try to rectify them.
- Think of the opportunities You have and grab them at the earliest.
- Think of the threats and find solutions to counter-act them.
DIET TO ENHANCE MEMORY
To enhance the memory, healthy diet is a must. Diet should include
- Vitamin-C rich foods such as blueberries, sweet potatoes, etc.
- Red-color fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes, watermelon, etc.
Intake of water should be more. This helps in cooling your body while you are learning.
Avoid spicy foods/artificial drinks as they can ruin your health. It also makes you feel lazy.
Get used to them and reap lots of benefits from these study techniques.
Books from amazon
Shirley Burrill on May 22, 2014:
I am impressed with your blog and I noticed you are maintaining each post very clearly. I am searching this kind of site for posting my article. I would like to share my post to your blog (as guest post) with my website link. Let me know if you are accepting the article for free of cost and I also promise you with high quality unique contents.
I am waiting for your reply.
mathan42 (author) on January 27, 2011:
Ingenira on January 15, 2011:
Wow, you really have very good tips and strategies. I normally use acronym, and that really helps. I could memorize the whole lectures notes and extra notes by just using acronym, and score very high marks in exam.
I bet you are top student in your school.
mathan42 (author) on November 17, 2010:
Thank u Tatjana-Mihaela...
mathan42 (author) on November 17, 2010:
Thank u Joni Douglas for ur comments....Its a great privilege for me to get comments from a great hubber like you...Will add amazon capsules for books...
Tatjana-Mihaela from Zadar, CROATIA on November 17, 2010:
Left hand writing seems to be very useful. Interesting Hub.
Joni Douglas on November 17, 2010:
An excellent hub on memory. You presented your information very well.
Since you asked on my hub https://hubpages.com/hub/Ways-to-Raise-your-Hub-Sc... for ideas to improve your hub .....I would make one comment-
You list some books for people to read to improve their memory and perhaps it isn't your intent to make money on Hubs, but adding an Amazon link for those books would certainly be a good idea.
mathan42 (author) on November 15, 2010:
thank you purple perl...
Esther Shamsunder from Bangalore,India on November 14, 2010:
mathan42, a very well presented hub giving one an overview of essential techniques students can utilize for maximum benefit.
Goes well with my hub,Exercise Your Brain To Improve Concentration And Memory --- https://hubpages.com/hub/Exercise-Your-Brain-To-Im... Thanks for visiting my hub and pointing me to yours. Readers will benefit from reading both.
mathan42 (author) on November 14, 2010:
Thank u kenwu and andromida...
syras mamun on November 14, 2010:
I think recollection of the memory is very important to increase the retentive power.Its a very well written hub.Thanks.
KenWu from Malaysia on November 14, 2010:
Complete pointers to enhance memory!
mathan42 (author) on November 11, 2010:
Thank you trimar7....
trimar7 from New York on November 11, 2010:
Well organized, very informative hub. I did not know that writing with the left hand helped with learning and memory. I will have my kiddos try this. I imagine it would work in reverse with my left handers. Thank you for sharing. I am now a fan!
mathan42 (author) on November 08, 2010:
Thank you Mr.Thinktank for your comments.
Mr. Thinktank from California on November 06, 2010:
Very interesting videos. I also liked your short lists to enhance memeory.