Wish your teeth were like this?? It is possible
All of you know, much is said about how to take care of teeth already. But after all, do we really know how to take care of our teeth?And what to avoid ? Discover it all in this article.
What Is Good Oral Hygiene?
A good oral hygiene is to maintain the teeth, mouth and gums clean and healthy, preventing cavities, tartar, gingivitis , periodontitis, halitosis (bad breath) and loss of teeth. A proper and regular cleaning of teeth and mouth prevents formation of bacterial plaque which is the major cause of dental problems. Additionally, it maintains the beautiful smile and fresh breath.
What Are the Signs of Poor Oral Hygiene?
- Gums that bleed or hurt when brushing your teeth or flossing
- Constant Halitosis
- Brown or yellow deposits on the teeth
Teeth are one of the main elements that draw attention to someone for their good or bad state. In a professional situation, it is very important to look good and teeth have an immense influence in this parameter. So, I shall talk about how to maintain good oral hygiene, indicate some ways to whiten teeth at home, about some dental diseases, about how to brush your teeth properly, some tips to get relief from toothache instantly and some homemade toothpaste recipe.
The tooth is hard and whitish element which comprises of:
- Enamel: hard outer layer of the tooth. If you lack good oral hygene, this layer can be damaged.
- Dentin: Layer coming after the enamel.
- Pulp: the soft layer which is located just after the dentin and is highly vascularized by blood vessels.
- Cementum: layer covering the root;.
- Alveolar bone: bone holding the tooth. It is a mineralized structure and its function is to protect and reserve the blood and lymphatic vessels.
- Blood vessels.
Most common diseases are: caries, gum disease (gingivitis and periodontitis), tooth sensitivity and tartar build up.
Dental caries is a lesion, with possible loss of enamel and affects the mineralized tissues. It does not have any symptoms at the beginning but as it advances, the pain becomes unbearable. The occurrence of caries is linked to the acidification caused by demineralization of the mouth.
- Discoloration of the tooth.
- Acute toothache, sometimes persistent, which can affect the entire region around the teeth or only the area of the tooth.
To avoid this type of disease you need to adopt some preventative measures, such as:
- Brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste at least twice. Always brush your teeth at bedtime.
- Use dental floss every day before washing
- Visit your dentist regularly (Once in 6 month is enough)
- Have a good diet
- Avoid smoking
Tooth sensitivity is caused by wear of the tooth or gum . This oral disease can be caused by exposure of the roots due to recession of the gums.
- Sensation of pain when eating hot and cold foods.
Tooth sensitivity is treated in several ways. Use a fluoride-enriched gel or toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Learn the proper brushing of the teeth because a bad brushing may cause more wear on the tooth and thus increase the sensitivity. Consult your dentist in this matter.
Tartar is a sort of hardened dental plaque. The minerals from saliva accumulate on the plaque on teeth is the cause of tartar. Tartar, besides being an oral health problem, is also an aesthetic problem due to the appearance that it causes. Usually forms above or along the gumline. The most common symptom is a yellowish / brownish color of teeth.
To prevent tartar, you should do a proper brushing of teeth, use dental floss. Consult a dental specialist to remove tartar. Do not attempt to remove yourself without their help or you may worsen your situation.
Pain when chewing, and tenderness or pain in the teeth. If you have any of these symptoms consult your dentist . These may be signs of decay or a more serious problem.
When the remains of food and drink are not well cleaned from teeth, they serve as food for the bacteria responsible for tooth decay . The plaque begins to develop 20 minutes after we eat, so it is important to wash immediately after the main meals. A proper and frequent cleaning helps prevent tooth decay. Also avoid sweets as much as you can.
This disease is an inflammation of the gums that can affect the alveolar bone , putting at risk the sustainability of the tooth . Gum disease advances in two stages:
The initial phase is reversible and curable. Inflammation is caused by the growth of plaque in the space between the tooth and gum. The main symptom is the occurrence of bleeding during the tooth brushing.
The Periodontitis is the second phase which is irreversible. The alveolar bone is completely affected, forming sheets gums containing food debris and plaque.
Symptoms of Gingivitis and Periodontitis
- Gums with a reddish tone and swollen
- Bleeding during brushing
- Teeth may look longer due to recession of the gums
- Space between the teeth
- Formation of pus between the teeth and gums
- Bad breath and bad taste in the mouth constantly.
Yeah. I Know the Disease.. Tell Me the Treatment
Learn some tips for treating swollen gums, bleeding gums, sore gums or gingivitis.
If blood comes out of the gums while brushing your teeth, it is more likely that you have a gum inflammation or gingivitis. If not treated properly, can lead to more serious gum disease, as they spread fast. Can also cause abscesses, bad breath or tooth decay.
- If you have pain or swelling in the gums, rinse your mouth with salt water or hydrogen peroxide (1 teaspoon in a glass of water). Both help kill bacteria and relieve pain.
- Place a bag of ice on the face, in the place where you have pain. As everyone knows, the ice helps reduce swelling and also help to numb the area.
- Try even a teabag dunk on infected area. Tea contains tannic acid, which helps to reduce swelling and stop bleeding.
- More severe cases may be treated with clove oil.
- Use slurry of sodium bicarbonate and water, which is very effective in killing germs. Ask your dentist about the exact amounts to use this product, since overuse can affect the sensitivity of the gums.
- Massage The Affected Area :In order to improve the circulation in the gums and accelerate the healing process, you can do a little massage on the affected area, pressing them lightly with your thumb and forefinger.
- You can also use coconut oil to produce a soothing effect on the gums.
- You can also purchase a gum stimulator in order to massage the gums more effectively.
- An electric toothbrush is very effective solution for cleaning and massaging of the gums. Both reach places that traditional brushes fail to reach.
- You can also rub the gums with tincture of marigold. It has excellent therapeutic qualities for sore gums.
- Gingivitis can be treated with regular mouthwash.
- The mouthwashes are also very effective in the treatment of the gums. Prefer those with cetylpyridinium chloride or bromide domiphen. These have a very positive effect in fighting plaque. (Avoid excessive and prolonged use of this product).
However, if your gums show a different aspect or start to bleed regularly, it is important to visit a dentist.
Treatment for Gum Disease
Use Fluoride Toothpaste
Some more Tips to Get Rid of Gum Diseases
- Massage your gums using waterpik
- Quit smoking
- Above reciepe can cure gum diseases
- Neem prevents tooth decay. Opt for toothpaste that contains neem
- Make sure you get enough calcium daily
- Make sure your diet contains vitamin c in plenty( citrus fruits and melons)
- Add whole grains to your diet
- Brush twice a day with aloe and Echinacea
- Reduce stress
- Avoid grinding your theeth. It can cause more pressure on the tissues supporting the teeth that may destroy it
How to Ensure Good Oral Hygiene?
Here are 12 easy tips to take good care of your teeth. Do it Yourself. Do it Today
- Brush teeth two or three times a day (for about two minutes) and use the dental floss daily
- Use products that contain fluoride, because they protect and strengthen teeth
- Select a non abrasive paste and use in small amount
- Change your toothbrush every two to three months and prefer the soft ones
- Avoid brushing your teeth after consuming foods or drinks that contains citric acid (lemon orange etc) because the teeth are most vulnerable at that time
- Pay attention to the brushing technique : Place the brush at a 45 degree angle in reference to the gums and make movements back and forth or circular
- Do not forget to clean the tongue . The bacteria that settle on the tongue are the main causes of bad breath . If you use the brush to do it carefully. You can opt for a lingual sanitizer
- The use of antiseptics should be recommended by the dentist. Avoid those that contain alcohol
- Go to the dentist regularly: at least every six months to ensure proper oral hygiene
- Opt for products suitable for your case: tooth sensitivity, stained teeth, gum problems, etc.
- After cleaning teeth, do not eat or drink for about 30 minutes
- Never go to sleep without taking care of your teeth.
Clove oil for Toothache. Instant Relief
Those who had a toothache know that it is one of the most difficult types of pain to endure.
When we have a toothache it seems that any action we take, aggravates the pain of teeth - when we laugh, eat, drink…
Here I describe some tips that anyone can try to get rid of toothache, never forget to consult a dentist later:
Vigorous washing of the teeth with the water at the same temperature of the body can eliminate tooth pain if it is caused by a piece of food that is lodged between them. Do not forget that it is very important to wash your teeth after meals and especially before bedtime.
As for me, this is one of the best tips. A glass of lukewarm water, add a tablespoon of salt. Then make successive mouthwash after every meal and especially before bedtime.
Rinse mouth with some whiskey will numb the pain in the teeth. Gargle for a while and spit it out. Do not rely on this remedy for a long time because alcohol can cause gum irritation in the long run.
Massage The Affected Area
Do a little massage on the painful area resolve toothache in most cases. Take an ice cube and slide it over the area of the teeth, for 4 or 5 minutes.
Do Not Use Painful Teeth to Chew On
Avoid using the sore tooth to eat
Apply Clove Oil
This ancient remedy can provide rapid relief in toothache. Place a drop on the tooth that is in pain, or put some of this oil on the swab and pass on the tooth. You can get clove oil from any pharmacy.
Try Not to Open Your Mouth
If you feel the cold air aggravates the pain, try to keep your mouth shut.
Take one tablet of aspirin a day, depending on the severity of pain. Never put aspirin on the tooth, as some people may advise, but this could cause a burn.
Do it on the Cheek
Place ice pack wrapped in a cloth on the outside of the mouth where painful tooth is, can cause immediate relief.
How to Brush Your Teeth Properly
Well, Now we know about the various tooth and gum diseases and how to prevent them.
Do you still have oral health problems even after brushing twice a day? Let me ask you, Do you really know how to brush your teeth properly? Have you ever thought of it?
If you still have dental problems, either you are not brushing your teeth correctly or you are forgetting other supplementary techniques of oral hygiene.
For an effective cleaning of the teeth, brush them twice a day for at least 2 minutes. Most adults do not even come close to this time. Start by brushing the inner and outer surfaces of the posterior teeth by placing the brush at a 45 ° position towards the gums and moving it horizontally.
In front teeth, replace the horizontal movement by a vertical movement from the gums to the teeth with the tip of the brush several times with no effort.Then clean the chewing surfaces of the back teeth by placing the brush horizontally and moving it in small circles. Do not forget to go through the gumline gently so as not to hurt.
Finally, brush the surface of the tongue, from the base to the tip, to remove food debris and prevent bad breath. You can even lightly brush the palate for a greater sense of freshness.
Always brush your teeth and other mouth parts gently and without using much pressure.Excessive force can harm the gums and still can contribute to the erosion of enamel.
Type of Brush
Most dentists agree that a soft brush is ideal for good brushing. It may seem that a stiffer brush is more effective in removing food debris and cleans the teeth better, but it is not always so. For effective cleaning it is necessary to use the correct technique as described in the previous paragraph. Too stiff brush will only contribute to the erosion of tooth enamel which may cause acute pain in the future.
Besides being soft, brush should have a small head to reach all areas of the mouth. The electric toothbrush is a good choice because it has a small head and is especially suitable for people with less agility hands.
The toothbrush, regardless of type, must be replaced in 3 months.
Type of Toothpaste
Make sure your dentist what type of toothpaste is suitable for you. There is a wide variety of products for fighting cavities, tartar or tooth sensitivity and will be better to follow the recommendation of a professional. With regard to oral health is important to focus on quality.
The use of a mouthwash is not essential to routine brushing. However, if you want to use it should be aware of its contents and whether it meets the needs of your oral health. Beware of mouthwashes contain alcohol, these can make gums irritating and are not recommended to share with children. If you suffer from inflamed gums select a mouthwash with aloe vera or chamomile that produce calming effects. If your problem is bacterial plaque, choose a mouthwash that specifically combat this problem.
Flossing helps in removing plaque and prevents bad breath. However, dental floss is an additional technique of cleaning the teeth and never replaces brushing.
Make your own toothpaste.
Mix half teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide with 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
Note: Use this paste only if your teeth is not too sensitive. Use only twice a week.
For your security, before making homemade bleach which either seek to know the opinion of a Dental Doctor.
So far I have talked about the gum diseases, symptoms, treatment, preventive measures, how to relieve from toothache and how to brush properly. Now we will discuss about various methods to whiten teeth at home itself.
The color of the teeth is a factor that everyone is concerned. We will discuss about some tips on how to give and maintain a good color for your teeth.
One option is the dentist. It is more efficient but expensive.
Sometimes you know that you can not perform the task of tooth whitening with your effort and time. When this is the case, you should always have an expert to do the work for you
Some dentists use conventional treatments to whiten teeth, that is, with the use of whitening trays. However, with the onset of different technologies, the laser whitening of teeth is now available. First the dentist will examine your situation and then apply the whitening agent on your teeth. Then allow the whitening agent to set itself in your teeth, from there they use the laser to work on the process. The laser light allows a better uptake of dental bleaching on the affected areas.
The only drawback we can see with the aid of a dentist for teeth whitening,is the fact that it is more expensive. However, one can not ignore the fact that the process is effective knowing that an expert performs the task very carefully.
You can choose to depend on some home remedies.The efficiency is lower than professional whitening, but it is more economical . The list below contains some of the many methods of home bleaching.
- Homemade Clenser: By combining ½ teaspoon of baking soda with ½ salt , create an effective cleanser. However, do not use more than once a week, a frequent use may damage the enamel.
- Fruits and vegetables: Foods such as apples, pears, strawberries, celery and carrots help a lot in making your smile whiter. The saliva in contact with these foods produces a reaction, in fact,it is able to remove several bacteria from the mouth. Rubbing the teeth with strawberries daily, for example, will allow us to remove all the stains . Similarly, wipe the teeth with the inner part of the orange peel. This helps in dental bleaching.
- Water: Gargle 30 seconds after meals help prevent stains.
- Fresh sage: Take a leaf of fresh sage and rub it on your teeth. The result will be amazing, without any risk to your teeth and without spending on dental treatments.
- Eat dark green vegetables: These vegetables, in fact, contain a mineral compound that produces a film that covers the teeth and protects against stains.
- Do not drink carbonated beverages: The many cans of carbonated soft drinks on the market are not loyal allies for teeth whitening. The fatty content such as phosphoric, citric, malic and tartaric acid strip the enamel. at least use a straw to drink these.
- Homemade Toothpaste: The internet always gives valuable advice, this time also a video on you tube tells us how to make a homemade toothpaste that helps teeth whitening. Give it a try!
- Lemon Juice: The juice of lemon is a great natural remedy against unsightly yellow spots caused mainly by smoking, but also from the coffee. As the bicarbonate has a powerful bleaching effect, but as acid erodes the enamel if used frequently. It is therefore advisable to use a small glass of lemon juice (combined with a tablespoon of baking soda) and use wet on the brush once a month or rub a lemon peel directly on the teeth.
Wait ... There is always more...
- Rub a few leaves of Guava or Mango tree directly on the teeth.
- Brush your teeth daily with Jua sheets.
- Brush teeth with little salt
- Lemon is also a good help. Make a lemon juice and rub the juice to brush the teeth for 2 minutes. Rinse well after brushing your teeth with warm water. This process removes all traces of tobacco food etc.
- Chew some parsley leaves before cleaning the teeth
- Crush some strawberries, mix with your toothpaste and brush with this mixture
You can still choose to use toothpastes with bleaching power, but the effectiveness is quite reduced.
How to make toothpaste at home
Homemade Toothpaste Recipes
- 2 tablespoons of orange peel or lemon, thoroughly dry
- ¼ cup of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
How to prepare
Crush the orange peel to fine powder. Add the salt and baking soda. Mix everything, and crush again using a mixer until you get a very fine powder. Store in a jar tightly closed. When using moisten the desired amount, and brush your teeth as usual.
Super refreshing Recipe
- 6 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons of powdered bentonite clay
- 15 drops of peppermint oil
How to prepare
Mix all the ingredients and store airtight. Take the desired amount. Add a few drops of water. Brush as usual.
For super healthy teeth
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Xylitol sweetener
- Cloves oil
How to prepare
Mix equal parts of all ingredients and store in a tightly closed container. This toothpaste in particular is fantastic for protecting your teeth, because it acts as a disinfectant, especially for those who suffer from sensitive teeth.
g1001 on December 09, 2019:
I earlier also thought like this until i was detected with 11 cavities and out of them 7 were very deep needed root canal.
after getting all the treatment done from my dentist ( Dr Puneet Arora @ Geetanjali Dental Options ) who did all the treatment painless ,i understood 1 thing skipping dental visits in long run prooves very expensive.i would have visited earlier i may need only fillings.
this is the most common problem we feel like we dont have any pain why to visit dentist suddenly 1 day we develop pain that time we need root canal
its my suggestion to all of you to visit dentist once in 6 months and get your regular checkup done and cleanup this saves us from surprise cavities,gum problems
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on October 24, 2017:
Lots of great and helpful tips to take care of your teeth. Going to the dentist is a bit expensive for me to do it twice a year. I'll follow these suggestions to the T.
Ana Maria Orantes from Miami Florida on October 08, 2015:
I like your hub abouth the care of the teeth. I love your advices and recepies. I did not visit the dentist for a few years. I did my own cleaning. I wish; I knew the information on your hub a few years back. I visit a dentist in Florida at the present time. His equiptment is update. It is facinate to have a modern dentist. I love my dentist. He finds things in my teeth that I can not see. Only he can see it with his machines. Thank you for your great hub miss healthcarepro. I love it.
Kelsey Elise Farrell from Orange County, CA on May 07, 2015:
Wow, great hub! So many useful suggestions and tips. I voted up for being useful and will definitely be putting some of these tips to use.
ratnaveera from Cumbum on April 26, 2014:
Really Great and informative Hub to keep good health of our teeth as well as our mouth. All the tips seem effective and responsible for the dental health. However, we can also need once for two years complete cleaning of teeth with the help of a dentist to ensure good health of our teeth so that we can avoid many dental problems like gum bleeding, bad smell and frequent infections. Thanks for this wonderful article teethcarepro! Voted Up! Useful!
anglnwu on April 21, 2014:
Wow, this is a very detailed hub with lots of useful information. Thanks for taking time to do the research and write. Rated up.
Pharmk258 on April 13, 2014:
You produced some decent points there. I looked on the net to the problem and discovered many people goes together with along along with your web site. aeeedbe
Dianna Mendez on March 15, 2014:
This is one of the best articles I've ever read on care of teeth. I didn't know brushing after eating citrus should be avoided. I will keep this in mind. Thanks for all the good advice.
Kenneth C Agudo from Tiwi, Philippines on March 13, 2014:
Very useful and you are truly a prolific medical student. My gum is bleeding maybe i need to do some of this. Thank you :)
Al Wordlaw from Chicago on March 10, 2014:
Hi healthcare pro, Thank you for such a great article on dental hygiene. You shared some high-powered information here my sister...
healthcarepro (author) from Somewhere on Earth on March 08, 2014:
Thank you guys.. your comments are really motivating.. I agree with Hackslap, if we replace coke with natural juices, most of our health problems will be solved..
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on March 08, 2014:
Excellent tips for dental care and your suggestions sound very useful. I will consider this hub to my daily dental care.Voted up, and useful.
Kathy Henderson from Pa on March 06, 2014:
Wonderful hub, excellent information on preventative health and natural options for dental care. Thank you and sharing ~ have a blessed day :)
Saadia A on March 06, 2014:
Great Hub. You have shared a lot of valuable information regarding teeth. I especially liked your remedies for teeth whitening. Thanks for sharing!
georgescifo from India on March 06, 2014:
I am also having issues with my tooth even though I brush them twice a day. This hub have provided some new and interesting tips for me to try to sort out my dental issues. Thanks for sharing this
Harry from Sydney, Australia on March 06, 2014:
I Brush my teeth twice a day with an Oral B motorized brushead...dirnk a lot of green tea and as much as possible..stay away frm Coke n Pepsi..that alone helps one witn he battle against tooth decay by over 60%
Audrey Hunt from Pahrump NV on March 06, 2014:
I like your recipes for natural teeth whitening. Thanks for all this information, the video and pictures. Just great!
Seckin Esen from Ankara, Turkey on March 03, 2014:
Great hub! You give plenty of information about how to take care of our teeth. I will definitely apply your suggestions. Thank you. Voted Up and useful.