How to Make Your Own Water Filter to Clean Water
Are you interested in doing Science experiments? Then you have landed at the right page!
Most of our planet Earth is covered in sea water – nearly 97 per cent of it. As you would know, sea water is very salty and is unfit to drink. But the good news is that the remaining 3 percent of water is fresh and can be used for drinking, cooking, washing without any issues. Salty water from sea is not suitable for all living beings – but few plants can thrive in it. It cannot be used in industries or even at home.
In many parts of the world, it is common to store rainwater or river water and use it later for different needs. In some other regions, water from the underground is pumped out. In some cases, water from the nearby rivers is stored in the form of reservoirs or large artificial lakes. When you use reservoirs, it should be noted that they may not be fit to drink. They may contain substances from rivers that may be harmful to intake. In such cases you need to remove these particles and substances to clean water. This act of cleaning water is called filtering. When water is filtered, a small amount of chlorine gas is also ingested to kill any dangerous bacteria. After this is done, water can be pumped into our taps from the underground pipes.
On this page, you will come across a simple Science experiment for kids that will show you how to clean water right at home. It will teach children a simple method of how filtering of water can be done.
How much water do you drink?
With the help of a measuring jug, measure how many drinks you are taking in a day. Drinks can include any milk based drinks as well because as you would know milk is about 95 per cent of water. It can also include drinks like fruit juice, tea, coffee, lemonade or just about anything water based. Make a note of each measurement and note it down in a notebook. You will be surprised at how much you are taking in!
Apart from liquids, you might have also taken in a lot of water in through solid foods. It is difficult to measure your exact total intake of water in a day because of this reason - you might be getting it into your system through a number of food products. For example, in an apple, water content is nearly 85 per cent and in the case of a green vegetable like lettuce, water comprises of nearly 95 per cent. This is why green leafy vegetables are good for you. It gives you an adequate amount of water needed by your body.
Making your own water filter to clean water
To take soil particles and other substances out from water, you need to filter it. You can make your own water filter at home with the help of sand, gravel, pebbles and some cotton wool. Please note that the water filtered may not be clean enough for drinking – so do not attempt to drink it. This is just a simplified method and the actual filtering that happens in our everyday life is a much more complicated process.
Things you will need:
- Cotton wool
- Some pebbles
- A small jug
- A teaspoon
- A plastic bottle
An interesting video which shows you how you can clean water while on the go
Instructions on How to Make a Simple Water Filter for Clean Water
You can make your own water filter to clean water using the following instructions.
- Take the pair of scissors and cut off the bottom of the bottle.
- Into the very neck of the bottle, stuff some cotton wool.
- Turn this bottle upside down and place it into the glass.
- Fill this bottle up with layers of small clean pebbles, gravel, sand.
- Into the jug, pour some water. Put in two teaspoons of sand. Stir well.
- Pour this sand mixture into the sand in the bottle.
- You will see water dripping into the glass.
A Water Science Experiment Kit
More Science Experiments
- Water Science Experiments - Simple Project Ideas for Kids
Have fun while learning Science! Some extremely simple water Science project ideas for kids.
- 5 Quick and Easy Water Science Experiments for Kids
Learn more about basic water Science facts from these simple, fun experiments. Can be done in the comfort of your own home in a matter of minutes using everyday items.
- Simple and Fun Water Science Experiments for Kids
Some really easy water experiments for kids which can be done at home.
- Grow Crystals at Home in a Jar of Water
Step by instructions on how to grow crystals fast at home. A Science project idea that is apt for kids and teens.
Kalpana Iyer (author) from India on April 19, 2015:
poetryman6969 on April 18, 2015:
An interesting way to show the kids a little science.
Kalpana Iyer (author) from India on September 13, 2011:
Nicole - Yes definitely ! :)
Nicole Burke on September 12, 2011:
does it work
Middlespecialist on March 22, 2011:
I love this! Perfect spring activity for the kids.