Studying for a business degree gave her a better understanding of what is entailed when working with people.
Feedback is a tool that is powerful in the sense that it allows you to learn from your mistakes. If you don't avail of free feedback then how can you ever learn how to improve in the areas that will need improvement?
Getting feedback on your college course work and exams if offered by your lecturer is something that you should always take advantage of especially when it is free.
Over the course of your years in college you might start to see a trend where many lecturers won't be worried about their student's performance in their class. Whether it is your poor grades or your low score on your course work, feedback will help you understand why you didn't perform as well as you might have expected.
When receiving feedback the most important think you need to know is to learn to listen to what they are saying to you. Take a notebook if you must to write down what is being said.
When you are leaving thank the lecturer to show that you appreciate the time they have taken to point out issues that you need to address.
The Benefits of Receiving Feedback
- When you received feedback on your assignments you get constructive criticism about the areas that will need further improvement.
- You will also get clarity on whether you addressed the topic of the assignment question adequately enough.
- You will find out what areas might need more supporting evidence or more clarity to identify what point it is that you are trying to explain.
- You will be advised to increase your supporting evidence if it is weak because this is important in the case of critical thinking essays.
- You will also find out the areas that you performed the best in.
- You might also get advice on which areas you need to do improve in so you don't make any of the same mistakes in future course work.
The List of Areas That Will Be Addressed in Your Feedback
In college, you need to ensure that your grammar is always correct. When you are submitting your essay or your course work, try to get someone to proofread it prior to your submission.
If you can't get someone from another course to proof read your work then subscribe to an online platform that offers you this service. Many lecturers will mark down your grade if your grammar is bad or you've made silly mistakes.
Some of the areas that will be addressed in feedback will be as follows:
- Your grammar.
- Your choice of font.
- The graphics and charts that you have used (if relevant).
- The structure and the layout of your essay or assignment.
- The reading style.
- Your bibliography and the reference list.
- The quality of the assignment and how good it is as well as the quantity which will address the length or the shortness of the assignment.
Why Getting Feedback in College Is Important
There are two reasons why should you go to your college lecturer for feedback.
- Firstly you attend feedback workshops to find out why you got the grade you did. This is particularly important for anyone who gets a grade that is lower than what they expected.
- Secondly it also allows you to get feedback directly from the lecturer on what areas in your assignment were lacking and needed further information. They will also identify areas that were great and relevant to the assignment.
If you have to partake in group assignments while you are in college, then you really should get in to the routine of getting feedback in this case. Group work can be very challenging for many people especially if there are members who don't pull their weight in the group.
Advantages and Disadvantage of Group Work
While there are many advantages to working in a group to complete a group assignment there can also be downside when it comes too been graded.
Advantages of Group Work
- The course work is done quicker as the assignment is divided up and tasks assigned to each member.
- Each member gets to focus exclusively on their part of the assignment.
- Gives students the experience of how group work in the work place could be managed.
- Encourages students to debate with each other to address the point expecting to be addressed in the assignment.
Disadvantages of Group Work
- There might be members in the group who try dominating the planning process and then try to direct the approach that the group should take when planning the assignment.
- If the group is not cohesive, the assignment won't be edited in the correct manner.
- If each group member does not take responsibility for their part of the assignment then there could be grammar as well as referencing mistakes.
- Some of the members in the group might not answer their part of the question correctly which means that there will be continuation issues.
College Feedback Etiquette
If you are meeting with your lecturer to get feedback especially in the case of a low grade there are a few things you need to know.
- Do not be confrontational
- Be gracious
- Be respectful and don't interrupt the lecturer
- Do not get angry when explanation are given for your low grade
- Be willing to listen to criticism
- Be polite and if you don't understand something ask them for more clarify
- If you disagree with anything that is said during your feedback, wait until you are alone with your team to address it.
You need to learn to listen and learn from each feedback experience. The lectures are telling you what you need to do to improve your performance for the next time.
You do not want to keep repeating the same mistakes for the rest of the years that you are in college.
Dealing with Negative Feedback
In your first year in college you will most likely receive some form of negative feedback on your assignment. This is because you have yet to figure out your style and approach on preparing your assignments.
How to Deal With Negative Feedback
- Try not to cry, if you feel like your feelings have been hurt, try to wait till you are with your friends to talk about it.
- Don't become defensive. If you start shouting or disagreeing with the lecturer about their opinion, you will not get feedback again and you will get a reputation among the faculty about being difficult.
- If you disagree with the grade and the reason for it then think carefully before you go above your lecturer to the Head of the Department.
- If your college has independent examiners review students course work at the end of the semester, then wait till then to see if your course work is given a higher grade
- Be aware of the procedure that is in place in your college for dealing with issues if you feel that you have being graded incorrectly.
6 Reasons Why Getting Feedback Is Useful
- If the content in your assignment is not relevant to the question or lacking in supporting material then this will be explained to you.
- You will find out the list of reasons behind the grade that you were assigned.
- It gives you clarity on the areas that you will need to improve in for your next assignment.
- Your lecturer will also reread the feedback notes that they made so that you understand why you need to improve in certain areas.
- If you need to source more references, your lecturer will tell you which ones.
- The layout of the assignment and the flow of the content will also be addressed to see if it is edited correctly.
Preparing for the Meeting
- Take a notebook with you to the meeting if you feel that you won't remember the feedback given during the meeting.
- Be prepared to ask the lecturer to clarify further on any points mentioned if you are unclear about what they are talking about.
- Prepare questions if you have some.
- Listen to what they say. You might be able to use any advice that they give in the meeting in future assignments.
How to Prepare for Feedback in College
- Arrange a time for you and your college lecturer to meet up to view your assignment or test.
- Reread your assignment prior to your meeting.
- Write out a list of the areas that you would like to discuss in your feedback meeting.
- Bring a pad and pen with you so you can write down any suggestions mentioned in your meeting.
Further Reading Material
If you are in college and you are finding the course work hard, then you might find this hub useful. It gives tips and advice on how to read, take notes and get a better understanding of the college textbooks you are expected to read for your course.
Don't Let Negative Feedback Upset You
- Getting feedback will highlight all the negative areas in your assignment but it will also outline the areas that you did well in. Try not to become to despondence when you get feedback that you don't like or agree with.
- Try to look at things from the college lecturer's point of view. They have graded your assignment or test and they want you to do better the next time. They are telling you all of the things that you need to do to improve upon to do better the next time.
- Being told by someone that your assignment isn't as good as it should be is hard. You might become frustrated and depressed but if you can look at things from a clinical point of view, you might just realize what it is that the lecturer is trying to tell you.
- Always acknowledge what it is that the lecturer says and try to accept any criticism as well as complements give and then move on and learn from this. Then apply what you have learned in your next assignment.
College is all about learning and expanding your knowledge. To do that you need to learn to listen, think, understand and process what it is that you are being told.
Always read your assignment questions correctly and once you understand what it is that you are being asked to do. Then start planning out how you are going to write the assignment.
Feedback is just another avenue that students can use to help the learn more in college to help them improve their performance.
© 2014 Sp Greaney
Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on January 18, 2014:
@ Adityapullagurla I got it for some of mine, and I found it really useful. You'd be surprised what you find out from it.
Adityapullagurla on January 16, 2014:
Amazing hub, I always waited to get my feedback for my assignments