An author of the book" Aggregate 50", a frequent traveler, nature lover and a financial executive.
Forming and framing habits at an early age is like putting cement in-between the bricks that stick the bricks together and make the building strong. We are not born with inbuilt habits we learn it from our surroundings. If we can able to make our children learn about good habits at an early age it will help them to climb the hardship of life at a later age. For example, washing our hands before eating, these are healthy habits which you can form at an early age which will make them stay healthy for a lifetime.
How To Differentiate Between Bad And Good Habit.
Bad habits can be formed for many reasons like stress, anxiety, loneliness, boredom, wrong company, and excitement. It is our responsibility we need to differentiate which of them are good and bad for us, which habits jeopardize our physical and mental health and which are building us strong for a better future. If you can able to distinguish the difference, you can able to beat bad habits easily. To do this we need to analyze our behavior by jotting down our habits on a daily basis on a paper. Then point out how some habits are hampering your growth and dragging you down from achieving your goals. For example, opening your social media account as soon as you turn on your smartphone might make you feel connected. At the same time looking at Facebook and Twitter will steal your precious time that you might have used in a more productive way. Getting a full stop to bad habits is really difficult but we can replace them with a substitute. It's tricky but you can build it over a period of time.
Good Habits Vs Bad Habits
Bad habits are like keeping exotic pet animals.Exotic animals do not make good companions. They require special care, housing, diet, and maintenance that the average person cannot provide and with the passage of time you cannot trust them also.In the long run they may harm you too.Likewise bad habits like drinking alcohol, puffing a cigarette are some of the habits that needs special care and in the long run harms you too.
Cultivating good habits is like keeping a lovable pet like a cute dog,they can get relieve you from stress and depression, if you spend time with them.they also double up as caretakers. No burglar alarm can be better than a dog at home.Whether you want to pour your heart out to them or tell them your secrets, you know it’s all safe with them! Pets give you unconditional love and are always faithful.pets are a great way to improve your mood and temperament.Same way good habits will make you feel strong,help you to fight the battles of life.
How To Break The Addiction?
In order to get rid of a bad habit, we need to break the addiction. For that, we have to understand the psychology behind it that is called the habit loop, which is a three-part process. First is called the trigger or cue, second is the routine or behavior followed by the third which is called the reward. Let me explain this by an example one day, sitting at my office, I realized that after lunch my mind demands me for a coffee otherwise I will have a headache and in-between 2.30 pm to 3.30 pm I go to the cafeteria to grab a cappuccino and felt relax immediately after sipping it. So here getting a headache is the trigger, the time in between which I move from my chair is the routine and gulping the coffee is the reward. Now the question arises on how to get rid of this habit? My answer to this is to act slowly, follow the same habit loop but replace the reward with something else, go for a green tea or lukewarm water, with the passage of time you will notice you have broken the chain but for this, you need dedication. Here are a few points that I learned from my own experience.
Feeling sorry for yourself, and your present condition is not only a waste of energy but the worst habit you could possibly have. Dale Carnegie
- Create a baseline: If you really want to be able to show progress, you’ll need a baseline. You will need to track your data before you even start working on improvements. Having a baseline offers a way to measure how much progress you have made, as well as compare the effectiveness of different strategies. If you want to measure just how much success you have in something, like changing your diet, starting with a baseline can help you decide what eating strategies have really worked for you.
- Raise your awareness of what you are doing: You can only erase anything if you can able to trace it. I was having a habit of biting my nails in the leisure time or during stressful times. I manage to found out it's wrong and I started working on it. Each time I found that I am biting my nails, immediately my mind commands to stop.
- Tracking your efforts on a daily basis not only helps to improve but also boosts your energy that your effort is worthwhile. It will help your pace and commence them.
- Detect the root of your problems: Analyse the root cause of the problem then act on it.Take a dig on the excuses which are making for forming those habits.
- Don't allow laziness to overcome you. Usually habits trap us in our comfort zone, it will not allow jumping out of it.
- Prepare a proper plan and stick to it. If you are habituated to do something wrong that is hampering your health. Try to replace it with something else with a proper plan.
- Self-control: This is the master key if you can control your mind with self-discipline, meditation, and dedication then half of your work is done rest is forming a good habit.
© 2020 Suchismita Pradhan
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on June 23, 2020:
Everything begins at home and when one neglects that families do not respond so well to one another.
Liz Westwood from UK on June 10, 2020:
You have made some interesting points. Handwashing is especially appropriate at the moment in the fight against COVID-19.
Halemane Muralikrishna from South India on June 09, 2020:
An analytical consideration of good and evil, often due to bad contacts in the group, some adopt the wrong path. Everyone should stop and introspect themselves to have a perspective vision. One should also think about the difficulties of associated people like friends, relatives, and family members. Good nature is pleasing to all, Isn't it Ms. Suchismita?
Nikhil Sharma from India on June 08, 2020:
That is an amazing article on good and bad habits. You've shed some light on a topic that very few people are talking about. When it comes to building a strong young generation, we have to focus on our children from an early age. We must teach them good habits that can boost their morale and that will help them develop better mental as well as physical health.
You've explained every concept with ap examples. I really loved reading your article, Ms. Suchismita. I came to know about the 'habit loop.' Keep posting such informative articles.