- Occurrence and Importance of Delta Waves
- Benefits of Delta Waves
- Frequency list
- How to increase Delta waves
Million of so called neurons make up the brain of all humans and animals. These neurons send electrical impulses that differ in speed, frequency and amplitude in order to communicate with each other. This electrical activity can be measured by certain instruments (with an EEG) and the result is a wave. We call these waves, that occur in the brain, Brain Waves. Different state of minds lead to different brain waves. While we are awake we think a lot and there is a lot of brain waves activity which is typically fast. These are called Beta brain waves. While we are asleep or in a deep meditation, we are in another state of mind, where there there are fewer processes that engage the brain to think consciously. There's less activity and the brain waves are slower. They are called Alpha, Theta and Delta brain waves.
In this article, delta brain waves will be discussed.
Occurrence and Importance
Delta Waves are associated with the unconscious mind. They normally occur in our deep sleep phases while humans are not dreaming. They can also occur in very deep meditations, but it is very hard to stay conscious during these meditations and such deep levels of meditation are rather hard to reach.
Delta waves are also associated with our intution. People who seem to always know how other people feel have a lot of delta brain wave activity. People who suffer from ADD or ADHD have too much delta waves activity. It is not advisable to increase delta waves in these people.
Delta waves play a irrepleaceable role in intuition and understanding others on an emotional level. Delta waves can be seen as a "radar". For example, people with a high delta waves activity sometimes seem to always know how a person is feeling even though she or he might be hiding her feelings. Another phenomenon is that sometimes you know that someone is going to call you or you know you are going to meet someone randomly in town and then it really happens.
There are a number of benefits from increasing delta waves in your brain. Not only are they of an emotional or intuitive nature, there are also special chemicals released that are vital for a healthy living (like the human growth hormone).
There are numerous benefits of having a healthy amount of delta brain waves. Since it would make this article too long, I recommend you to read my more explicit article of the benefits of delta waves. Here is a summary of all (most) of the benefits one can get out of increasing delta brain waves.
- Release of Anti-Aging Hormones – When people listen to the lower frequencies of delta waves, their brain starts producing important hormones for a healthy life and simlutaneously, cortisol levels decrease, which is often present in stressed persons. Cortisol is generally bad for humans.
- State of Empathy – People with a healthy delta waves activity generally are more emotional and empathetic.
- Extreme Bliss – Extreme states of bliss were reported in advanced meditators. In deep meditations, such people felt an unexplicable feeling of bliss.
- Advanced Healing of Body and Mind – When people listen to delta binaural beats (or increase their delta waves activity in mediations) they enhance and activate the innate healing powers to restore the body from injuries and to stabilize the mind. This makes sense since delta waves are mostly present in deep sleep and as we all know, in such deep phases of sleep, the body regenerates and our mind turns off.
- H.G.H. Release – The human growth hormone is released while listening tuning into 1.05 Hz. That hormone is responsible for bone, muscle and body growth. So, the success of going to the gym can be increased when one listens after the workouts to these binaural beats.
- Connection to the Unconscious Mind – Delta waves are associated with the unconscious mind. Increasing delta waves will make people feel more connected with themselves, have a better intuition and sometimes, long forgotten memories and feelings can come to light.
- Deepest possible level of Relaxation is reached – Rarely, people are aware of these deep levels of relaxation, because it is very hard to stay awake. In any case, you will feel super restored after such an intense and deep meditation or binaural beat session.
- Paranormal Experiences – Sometimes, our mind makes unusual things at such deep levels of consciousness. Out of body experiences can happen, predicting the whole day are only some of these astonishing happenings.
Boosted Immune Systems – Tuning into a delta frequency helps the immune systems to work better and more efficiently.
ALL Delta Waves (Binaural Beats)
6 hours 3.5 Hz Delta waves
HGH Release 1.05 Hz
4 Hz - vivid mental imagery; deep creative insight; lucid dreaming; deep meditation (sometimes, this frequency is also counted to the theta range)
3.5 Hz - very good against depressions and anxiety; wholebeing regeneration; DNA is stimulated; "Oneness" feeling
3 Hz - increased reaction time; regeneration of muscles etc.
2.5 Hz - like a sedative; production of endogenous opiates; pain relief
2 Hz - nerve regeneration
1.5 Hz - associated with sleep and treating sleep disturbances; healing
1.05 Hz – HGH (Human Growth Hormone) Release 1 Hz - overview of emotional relationships, release of many hormones (1.05 Hz is especially good for HGH release); some people feel harmonious and balanced
0.5 Hz - regeneration of nerves; very good for sleeping (I personally recommend 1 Hz though): super relaxing
How to increase Delta Waves
There are a number of ways to increase delta waves activity in one's brain.
One way issimply to listen to delta binaural beats each day for a defined period of time. For example, you can listen to delta binaural beats for 30 minutes every day. As you have seen, there are several frequencies for delta waves. If you do not know, to which frequency to listen, I suggest you listen to the linked video to the right side. It contains all delta binaural beats and each one lasts for 5 minutes.
Another way to increase delta brainwave activity is to meditate. One can meditate without a specific technique or intention, but there are meditations that are specifically good for enhancing delta waves.
One of them is the so called "Bubble Meditation".
It is best done in a group, but you can do that alone too. You start with your normal meditation habits. You make yourself confortable and calm down. After some time, I imagine yourself in a bubble with all of your senses. The more senses you can use at the same time the more vivid is your visualization (= sensualization). The bubble is just as big as you have enough space in it. Experience this space for yourself for some time. This first bubble is your "Consciousness". Everything what you are aware of the right here and now. Then expand your bubble to the size of your room. Experience this space once again. This is your "Preconsciousness". Everything that you know (information, memories etc.), which would be accessible immediately if you were to think of something specific. Then again, expand your bubble to the size of a football stadium (or of your house, town etc.) and also experience this third bubble. This is your "Unconsciousness".
Return to the first bubble. If you are with one or more friends doing this, slowly expand your bubble until your nearest friend is in it. Experience this intrusion. Do you feel comfortable or not? Continue taking in more people in your bubble.
If you are alone, you can take in the people who are in your house (like mother, brother, sister etc.). You can also take in a friend that lives farther away.
End your meditation eventually and ground your experience by making it conscious (write it down, speak of it to yourself etc.)
I just want to mention that there is another common meditation that helps you increase delta waves. The Loving Kindness Meditation. Read more of this meditation in a separate article.
Increasing delta waves can have many benefits for humans. There are also a number of reasons, why one would want to increase their delta waves activity. In any case, I find it very important that one has a connection to their deeper parts of the mind, which are not always accessible, especially stressed people should really consider listening to delta binaural beats or practicing meditation.
For several months, I was listening to the 1.05 Hz before going to bed. I had a super relaxing and restoring sleep that I did not have in years! Moreover, I always felt a tickling between my eye brows. The pineal gland (3rd eye Chakra) is located there and I assume I was able to activate it and to experience how it works. After some time, I had the sensation that from that spot were going "two beams". They met at the back of my head, forming a ring. This was very special to me.
Applied Binaural Beats:
© 2013 Slaven Cvijetic
Joann Lutz on September 15, 2014:
Can you cite sources for your information on the benefits of delta waves? If so, please email them to me. email@example.com
Slaven Cvijetic (author) from Switzerland, Zurich on July 26, 2014:
thanks for this comment! Show your wife some delta waves, preferably 3.5Hz and 1Hz ;)
Capt.P.L.Sharma on July 24, 2014:
GREAT I NEVER NEW ABOUT THIS. YES I KNEW THERE ARE ALFA, BETA , THETA WAVES. BUT WHAR ARE THE EFFECTS LEARNT NOW. ACTUALLY, MY WIFE IS SUFFERING FROM SLEEP DISORDER. I WAS LOOKING FOR SOME OTHER MUSIC OF MY INTEREST. I FOUND ON YOUTUB 8 HrS. RELAXING SLEEP MUSIC. IT HAD EFFECTED MY WIFES SLEEP, BUT A LITTLE LOW, THE REASON BEING THE VOL WAS VERY LOW OF DOWN LOADED MATERIAL.
OK, I AM VERY VERY GLAD TO KNOW ABT WAVES AFTER READING YOUR NICELY EXPLAINED ARTICLE.