Writer of a series of inspiring, positive messages of hope and encouragement in the form of fiction and non-fiction books
How do we Define Self Sufficiency?
For one to be truely self sufficient, the following basics would need to be taken into consideration:
- living independently of services and people
- self sufficiency in food without having to buy basic ingredients
- transportation that’s independent of commercial sources
When we try to define self sufficiency using the above pointers, the strict self sufficiency definition would make it very difficult for the majority of people to be truely independent of society. Although some religious communities have achieved a semblance of that definition, the average individual trying to do it on their own would struggle.
Having said that, it is possible to achieve a degree of self sufficiency with a little compromise to ensure some comfort in living off the grid.
Self Sufficiency Meaning
The perceived meaning of self sufficient is somewhat different from the strict definition of the term. For example, one might be deemed to be self sufficient if one:
- has the capacity to deal with one’s problems and general living conditions without outside assistance,
- has sufficient resources to grow or supply enough food for long periods of time without having to rely on outside supplies,
- has excess produce that can be bartered for other necessities
When we consider the above points, it’s possible for even a city-dweller, even living in an apartment building, to have a degree of self sufficiency for a short period of time, particularly to survive an emergency situation, storm event or natural disaster. There are simple things that can be put in place, either to deal with such emergencies for to go off the grid.
People who Live off the Grid
There are many people who choose to live off the grid and their reasons are varied:
- Some prefer the simpler life that nature provides, without the hassle and complexities of city dwelling;
- some are doomsday preppers, whether that is based on the potential for natural disaster or other possible threats:
Regardless of the reasons, some manage to achieve a good balance of comfortable living standards, while others are more feral in their lifestyle choices. Either way, there are basics that need to be met, and these can be achieved with relatively simple methods and a little planning.
Disaster Survival Preparation
Depending on whether one wants to be permanently off grid or have the ability to do so occasionally when needed, a mobile home can be a great asset.
This can take the form of a luxurious commercial mobile home or a simple large van converted into a mobile home with a little ingenuity. Either way, a vehicle that can be stocked with essentials and ready to go at any time can be a big advantage, particularly when preparing for disaster survival or in an emergency situation.
Essential stocks might include the following:
- Large food containers with air-tight lids for food storage and water;
- dry ice to put in food containers to control insect infestation;
- food-grade hydrogen peroxide for healing, water treatment, spouting and gardening;
- charcoal powder for internal treatment of food poisoning and external poultice for wounds etc;
- seeds and grains for sprouting, grinding and meal base;
- fresh comfrey and aloe vera plants for internal and external healing;
- honey for food preserver and wound healer/antiseptic;
- hand-grinder for seeds and grains;
- gas burner and gas bottle for backup in electrical failure.
Regardless of where one lives, many of the above items can be easily prepared for emergency situations, even in a city apartment. The vehicle may or may not be feasible, depending on where one lives, but preparing for self sufficiency, even for short periods to survive an emergency, can be done relatively easily, without too much expense.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 David Gaughan