Graduation Songs Mark a New Start
Graduation marks a very significant step in life. Though it can mean something different to each individual, graduation is a great time to appreciate hard-earned accomplishments. It is also a great time to reminisce with friends and family about favorite memories and a time to look to the future with anticipation. It is a bittersweet time, holding feelings of both happiness and sadness, but most of all, it marks a time of new beginnings.
Graduation songs are a great way to express the many thoughts and feelings surrounding a new beginning. Graduation songs are needed for ceremonies, parties, slideshows, personal reflection, and many more reasons. For these reasons, I have put together a list of songs with the theme of graduation.
1. On My Way - Phil Collins
1. On My Way – Phil Collins – To me this is the perfect graduation song. The lyrics refer to both fond memories of the past, and excitement for the future for a new chapter in your life. It is has a positive sound and would be great for slideshows, or anything you would need. Lyrics: “Tell everybody I’m on my way. New friends and new places to see. With blue skies ahead, yes I’m on my way. And there’s nowhere else that I’d rather be.”
2. Moments Like This – The Afters
2. Moments Like This – The Afters – This is a great song to appreciate how much you have accomplished and how far you’ve come. It is definitely a feel-good song. Lyrics: “Here we are on top of the stars. Never thought we’d get this far. We live for moments like this. We come alive in moments like this.”
3. Your Heart Will Lead You Home – Kenny Loggins
3. Your Heart Will Lead You Home – Kenny Loggins –This song is a reminder that even when you travel away from home, your friends and family are where really where your home lies. This song addresses the fact that life will not always be easy, but that you can make it through with help from those who are important to you. Lyrics: “Just think of your friends. The ones who care. They all will be waiting there with love to share and your heart will lead you home.”
4. Hall of Fame – The Script ft. will.i.am
4. Hall of Fame – The Script ft. will.i.am – This song celebrates the endless array of possibilities awaiting you after graduation. It is a very encouraging song, and reminds you that anything is possible if you give it your best effort. It explains that you should aim high in life and remain motivated. Lyrics: “You can move a mountain. You can break rocks. You can be a master. Don’t wait for luck. Dedicate yourself and you gon’ find yourself.”
5. Goodbyes – Savannah Outen
5. Goodbyes – Savannah Outen – This song talks about the bittersweet feelings and memories of graduation. Sometimes it can be difficult to move on since life moves so fast. Friends are going in different directions and moving away and change is not always easy. Lyrics: “And how do we say our goodbyes? Do we laugh or cry? And why does this have to be so hard?”
6. Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
6. Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield – This song refers to graduation as a new beginning and an opportunity to live life to the fullest. It is an opportunity to be independent, and to find that something unique and important that only you can contribute in life. Lyrics: “Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten.”
7. 100 Years – Five for Fighting
7. 100 Years – Five for Fighting – This song focuses on possibilities for the future. The theme is all about making sure you live every day to the fullest. I especially like this song because it gets you thinking about what you want your life to be like and how you want to live your life to make sure it counts. Lyrics: “15 there’s still time for you. Time to buy and time to choose. Hey 15, there’s never a wish better than this when you only got a hundred years to live.”
8. It’s Your Life – Francesca Battistelli
8. It’s Your Life – Francesca Battistelli – This song is a reminder that you are in control of your future, and you can make it whatever you want it to be. It also reminds you to think about the impact that you have on others as you step into the future after graduation. Lyrics: “It’s an open door. It’s your life. To live the way that you believe. This is your opportunity. To let your life be the one that lights the way.”
9. Ride of Your Life – John Gregory
9. Ride of Your Life – John Gregory – The Ride of Your Life talks about overcoming your fears about the future and leaving the past in the past. It stresses the fact that you and only you can decide to reach for your dreams and make them a reality. Lyrics: “Come on, here’s your chance. Don’t let it slip right through your hands. Are you ready for the ride of your life? Your dreams are riding on the wind. Just reach out and pull them in. Get ready for the ride of your life.”
10. At the Beginning - Richard Marx feat. Donna Lewis
10. At the Beginning - Richard Marx feat. Donna Lewis – Even though your friends and classmates are graduating, you will always have memories. The past and the people in it will always be a part of you. They will shape your future and can be looked at as a springboard into the beginning of your life’s journey. I think of this song as a take off into the future along with all of your classmates. Lyrics: “We were strangers, starting out on a journey. Never dreaming what we’d have to go through. Now here we are, I’m suddenly standing at the beginning with you.”
11. Send Me On My Way – Rusted Root
11. Send Me On My Way – Rusted Root – This is a fun song about running into the future. Lyrics: “I would like to hold my little hand. And we will run, we will, and we will crawl. Send me on my way.”
12. My Wish – Rascal Flatts
12. My Wish – Rascal Flatts – This song is great for graduation. A wish for a prosperous, happy and successful future. Just about any good wish you could have for someone for the future can be found in this song. Lyrics: “I hope you never look back, but you never forget all the ones who love you in the place you left.”
13. On Top of the World – Imagine Dragons
13. On Top of the World – Imagine Dragons – This song is definitely a feel good song. It talks about working hard for so long and enduring the challenges of life (in this case, school), but finally reaching that accomplishment that you have been waiting for (that diploma!). Lyrics: “I’ve been waiting to smile. Been holding it in for a while. Take you with me if I can. Been dreaming of this since a child. I’m on top of the world.”
14. Whenever You Remember – Carrie Underwood
14. Whenever You Remember – Carrie Underwood – Whenever You Remember talks about remembering the good things about the past and all the dreams that you have accomplished. Lyrics: “Whenever you remember times gone by, remember how we held our heads so high…Whenever you remember, I’ll be there. Remember how we reached that dream together.”
All in All
Overall, graduation is a very important occasion that deserves to be remembered with a special song. This song will be an anthem for the days that have passed and the days to come. Make your graduation day a moment to remember!
China Abarquez on April 15, 2015:
I think you should add on your list the song "Friends Forever" by Vitamin C. This is one of the best graduation songs that make me cry.
foreverfaith170 (author) on July 07, 2014:
Thanks! I'm glad this was helpful!
Kiana Garo on July 04, 2014:
Great songs!! I'm making a slideshow for my graduation party and you helped me out so much! Thank you!
Frienderal from Singapore on June 11, 2014:
Awesome selection! :) Many of us forge lasting friendships during our college years. Indeed, college graduation is an important phase in our lives as immerse ourselves into the working world.