I have been employed in the field of education for over 7 years and have dual licensure in special/general education as well as a BA.
The Challenges of Online Education
Although online learning may sound easy, there are some barriers that cause many individuals to give up, fail, and get distracted. This article goes over the essential strategies to help you not just survive, but thrive. These strategies fall under the categories:
- Time Management
- Goal Setting
Whether you are going to high school or college, mastering these areas can make your virtual learning experience less stressful and more productive. Mastering each of these areas is as easy as 1-2-3. You'll see.
- Know What Assignments are Due and When: Keep track of your assignments on a chart like the one below. It helps to make the due dates two to three days before they are due. This will ensure that you can complete them on time even if there is an emergency or unplanned event.
- Use a Calendar to Schedule When You are Working on Each Assignment: Having a calendar can help you delegate when you are doing each assignment. You must delegate your time wisely so as not to get distracted. In turn, using a calendar will also help you focus on your goals.
- Remember to Make Time For YOU: The pressure individuals endure while in school are high. Remember to take time to relax, re-energize, and motivate yourself. Remember to enjoy life.
- Set SMART Goals That Motivate YOU: SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-Bound. Make sure that your goals align with what you want. If your goals are written to please others, you will not follow through. Motivation must come from within you.
- Make a Plan of Attack: Now that you have at least one smart goal, how will you reach it? By using the other strategies within this article, you can reach your goals. Organization and time management are huge factors. For example, if your goal is to complete your term paper by a specific date, you would need to make sure that you have all of the correct sources and materials(organization) as well as scheduled time to work on each component of your term paper(time management).
- Celebrate!: Once you have achieved your goal or milestone, remember to celebrate. You have come a long way and deserve to treat yourself.
You can do this!
Being organized is of the utmost importance in any scenario. In regards to school, it can be the difference between a cing it and failing. In my experience, there are three areas where organization is the key to success. These are the "Three T's":
- Time: As mentioned above, time must be divided wisely. In order to effectively manage your time, you must prioritize and minutes tasks based on their importance and due dates. Remember to schedule time for yourself.
- Tools: To ensure that you are successful, make sure that your workspace is well-organized and free of clutter. It is important that you have all of the supplies and tools needed at your disposal.
- Thoughts: it is challenging to focus on the task at hand when thoughts are distracting you. Try to review your goals prior to each study session in order to stay focused and goal-oriented. Staying positive is also very motivating and can help you complete quality and consistent assignments.
|Topic||Due Date||Need to Do|
Research Lincoln and write down four facts.
Finish Problem set 4 and submit
Review/Revise English paper.
Communication communication is essential in any field. As far as school is concerned, communication between you and your family, you and your instructor, and you and yourself can make school a much smoother ride.
- You and Your Family: Make sure that you communicate your schedule and the fact that you may not be able to spend as much time with your family as you used to. Going to school requires a lot of time and energy.
- You and Your Instructor: I cannot stress enough that effective and open communication between you and your instructor can be very valuable. Whether you believe it or not, your instructor is there to help you.
- Yourself: Being honest and true to yourself helps you know when you've dug a hole too deep and need some help. It also means that you need to listen to yourself and all of those thoughts underneath the surface. Communication begins here. You will not be able to honestly communicate with your instructor or your family unless your actions align with your beliefs and morals. Being true to yourself feels great! Embrace it and flourish.
© 2020 Miranda Hoepfner