Kulsum Mehmood is an Eye Consultant with 30 plus years of experience. She is single mother and a philanthropist. She is in a full time job.
Mysterious Mermaids of the deep blue
Oceans and Deep Seas
Oceans are the largest habitat for creatures of the deep blue on this earth. Oceans are vast with their deep waters and long shores and coastlines.
Lakes and rivers have fresh water; whereas oceans and seas have salty water. So, ocean is a huge body of saline water. Oceans are very big and they join smaller seas together.
Sea is a part of ocean, partly enclosed by land. Seas are found on the margins of the ocean and they are smaller than oceans. Seas are mostly located where the land and ocean meet.
Vast Oceans :
Oceans cover more than 70 percent of the surface of the earth. Yet their depths remain largely unknown. About 2 percent is frozen up in glaciers and ice – caps. Plants that grow in the oceans produce half the oxygen all of the world’s population needs to survive. Oceans contain 97 percent of the earth’s water.
Color of the Oceans :
Color of the ocean and sea is azure blue or deep emerald green. The colour depends on the color of the sea creatures that inhabit that particular water - body of the ocean or the sea.
Oceans and Seas :
Our earth has 5 big oceans, namely Atlantic ocean, Pacific ocean, Indian ocean, Arctic ocean, and Southern ocean. The Seas are : Red sea, Caspian sea, Persian gulf, Arabian sea, South China sea, Baltic sea, Black sea, and Adriatic sea to name a few.
Salt water Tropical Fishes
Exploring Oceans and Seas
Now technology enables us to explore ocean’s depth and its vast areas which is bustling with life with its sea plants and sea animals. Down into the depths there are landscapes never seen before. There are so many stories of the magical waters of the ocean. Dancing crabs and undulating fishes and sea creatures of different shapes, sizes and colours engage in the hustle – bustle of life under water. Reefs, corals, rocks and sea plants line the ocean landscape filling the hearts of the aqua – divers with joy and awe.
There are many unsolved mysteries of the oceans and the deep seas. Giant squids, rare fishes, eels or electric fishes are some of them. Stories about sighting of mermaids has been an unsolved mystery of the deep seas. Sunken treasures, sunken ships, and sea - crashed aircrafts are the interesting finds by explorers, and scientists.
Viewing the magical scenic beauty and wonderful activities in the deep waters of the oceans and seas is now possible through watching of underwater images and videos which are made by the scuba divers and robots using new technology. Inhabitants of the deep are sea creatures of different species varying from the smallest to the largest on the earth. The blue whales, dolphins, squids of different sizes, sea snakes, electric eels, sharks, giant sea turtles, tropical fishes, schools of small fishes of the same variety, and their activities in the water is a very engaging view which is spell binding and awesome and amazing.
Harvesting the Oceans and Seas
Man harvests the deep blues for food, medicine, power, gas, sand, chemicals, pearl oyster farming, and under water petro – chemicals. The deep blues also support trade, and tours and travel. Ships and sub – marines conquer the deep waters for trade and naval purposes. They also support water sports, particularly sea – surfing, sea – swimming, and scuba – diving. The list of advantages to humans is unending and infinite.
Harvesting the Oceans and Seas :
- Harvesting Ocean Wave Energy – electrical power from ocean waves is harvested. Generators respond directly to ocean movement.
- Harvesting deep ocean currents for generating electricity is now being done.
- De-salination of ocean waters for drinking is done in de - salination plants in countries like Saudi Arabia where there are deserts and paucity of fresh soft drinking water.
- Harvesting Sea Vegetables like seaweeds and edible sea vegetables such as kelp, nori and kombu.
- Ocean Fisheries – A fishery is an area in the sea with a fish or aquatic population which is harvested for its commercial value. Fisheries can be farmed or wild. Wild fisheries are in the sea.
- Sand, gravel, oil and gas have been extracted from the sea for many years. Minerals are extracted from the coastal areas and beaches.
- Deep Sea mining is done on the ocean floors. Deposits are mined by either hydraulic pumps or buckets that take the ore to the surface to be processed.
- Gold – There are deep sea sites at the bottom of the ocean which contains vast deposits of precious metals and other resources, including gold, diamonds, and cobalt.
- Whales and Sharks – Hundreds of whale sharks and great white sharks are illegally hunted and processed by some factories. Human abuses of the ocean, over-fishing, and pollution have put some species of whales and sharks in the endangered species list.
Secrets of the deep
Oceans and Seas have a depth of scores of miles from the sea surface. Upper part of these waters where the sunlight can go show a different landscape. The flora and fauna of the surface waters is different and is accessible to research and studies. The deeper parts where sunlight cannot reach and which is stretched in darkness is inaccessible to research and study. Scuba - divers cannot reach the deepest parts of the sea and ocean because the several atmospheric pressure of the waters acting on the body leads to medical complications like Caisson's disease. Caisson's disease is a decompression sickness wherein the dissolved gases in a diver's body form bubbles of gases in the blood upon depressurisation.This may result in death of the diver if he surfaces too quickly from the deep waters. Until now only robots have been sent to some depths where man cannot go. These parts might probably have creatures which are weird and may be like monsters.
There are many unsolved mysteries of the oceans and the deep seas. Giant squids, rare fishes, giant eels or electric fishes and mermaids are some of them. Sunken treasures, sunken ships, and sea - crashed aircrafts are the interesting finds by adventurers, governments and scientists. There have been discovered many sunken cities and other submerged under – water discoveries that challenged history. Possibly an outer – space alien aircraft in the Baltic sea was an amazing discovery.
The Bermuda Triangle Mystery
Bermuda triangle is an area of the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Florida. It is famous for being the site of many unexplained disappearances. The 3 points of the triangle are Miami, Bermuda and San Juan in Puerto Rico. Mystery of the Bermuda Triangle began to attract attention in 1945. Flight 19, a training fleet of 5 US bombers, disappeared off the Florida coast. The plane which was sent to find them also vanished. Also, around 100 boats and aircrafts also been lost there. Analysers explained these events as due to magnetic fields, sea monsters and abduction by aliens. As per one of the explorers, Aayesha Arif,, and the opinion of most experts the disappearances are due to bad navigation. Also bad weather conditions have been considered to explain the mystery of the Bermuda triangle.
Shipwreck - Sunken Ship
A shipwreck is the remains of a ship that has wrecked, which are found either on the beach or sunken to the bottom of the sea or ocean.
- There have been more than 3 million shipwrecks on the ocean floor. Less than 1 percent of the world’s shipwrecks have been explored.
- Titanic : Titanic was a British passenger ship that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean on the morning of 15th April 1912, after it collided with an iceberg during its first voyage from Southampton to New York City. The wreck of Titanic lies at a depth of about 12,500 feet, about 600 km south – southeast off the coast of New Foundland.
In conclusion I would like to add that as technology improves and we can be going to the very depths of these waters, we may be able to witness a totally different landscape and be able to see creatures which we have never seen until now in the world we live in.
THE MESSAGE To All Humanity :
The message I wish to convey to the universe through this article is that :
- Our aspirations and our thoughts and dreams should be vast and deep like the deep blue, so that our life gets a valid meaning.
- We should thirst for knowledge and be willing to invite discoveries and adventures exploring the depths of the oceans and seas.
- We can enrich the lives of inhabitants of this earth through valid harvesting of the treasures which lie in the depths of the waters of the deep.
- Scholars can study the vast expanse of the riches of the deep and develop and expand the sciences of oceanology and oceanography.
- The list of possibilities is unending. We need to dream up newer and newer ideas as to how we can explore these riches so as to enrich humanity through this gift from The Higher power.
- internet ( google search engine )
- whitaker's world of facts by russell ash
© 2017 Dr Kulsum Mehmood
Dr Kulsum Mehmood (author) from Nagpur, India on November 11, 2017:
Yes Kari, oceans occupy about 70 percent of the surface of the earth. They hold 97 percent of the earth's water. They are mind blowingly vast ..... Thanks for visiting.....
Kari Poulsen from Ohio on November 11, 2017:
Oceans are so mysterious. They take up so much room on earth, but we know so little about them. :)