I am a Christian. I was an 8th-grade American History teacher. I am currently a freelance writer, public speaker, & homeschooling mom of 9.
This is part of a series of 26 hands-on art lessons for Kindergarten and 1st grade. This lesson focuses on collages inspired by Henri Matisse. I used this plan while teaching a weekly 45 minute art class for children in Kindergarten and 1st grade. Each lesson includes an art concept, introductory book, focus on an artist, and a variety of art techniques to make each lesson engaging & memorable. Use these fun lessons with your classroom, homeschool, after-school program, or co-op!
Henri Matisse's Paper Cut-out Collages
1. To introduce the concept of Matisse's painting with scissors and collages, read Matisse's Garden by Samantha Friedman.
You will need: Matisse's Garden by Samantha Friedman or other children's book about Matisse and his paper collages
Guessing Game on Henri Matisse
2. Flip through about a dozen of Matisse's paper cut-out collages and have students guess what each collage is titled. Then tell them the title.
- Point out how some look like something (representational) and some are simply organic shapes.
- Point out some of the various organic shapes.
You will need: copies of some of Matisse's paper cut-outs
Creating Paper Cut-out Collages
3. Allow students to create their own paper cut-out collages. They can be representative or have organic shapes.
You will need per student: a large sheet of paper, various colors of construction paper, scissors, and Elmer's glue (Note: I let them use glue sticks as well, but they didn't hold the paper well.)
4. If desired, allow students to use a small amount of black tempera paint to add a few details.
You will need per student: paintbrushes, black tempera paint, and small palates (I use plastic lids)
- Self-Portraits (inspired by Van Gogh)
- Primary Colors & Secondary Colors (inspired by Claude Monet)
- Warm & Cool Colors (inspired by Georgia O'Keeffe)
- Tints & Shades (inspired by Pierre-Auguste Renoir)
- Abstract Art (inspired by Wassily Kandinsky)
- Landscapes (inspired by Henri Rousseau)
- One Point Perspective (inspired by Grant Wood)
- Still Life (inspired by Paul Cezanne)
- Decoupage Jack-o'-Lantern Craft (inspired by Halloween)
- Lines & Patterns (inspired by Paul Klee)
- Texture (inspired by Winslow Homer)
- Turkey Crafts (inspired by Thanksgiving)
- Painted Christmas Tree Cards (inspired by Christmas)
- January Art Lessons: Weaving & Winter (colors, lines, & patterns)
- Snowmen Surprise (value, tints, & shades)
- February Art Lessons (Valentine's Day and blow painting)
- Paper Collages (inspired by Henri Matisse)
- March Art Lessons (spring butterflies, bean mosaics, & glued quilt flowers)
- April Art Lessons (craft stick treasure boxes, April showers, & shaving cream marbling)
- All of My Hands-on Lessons & Unit Studies
© 2019 Shannon