What Hair Means to Us
Most people spend a lot of time, effort and money on their so-called crowning glory. They go to salons for services ranging from basic trims, to styled cuts and treatments, to the more complicated extensions that take a considerable amount out of their pockets.
It seems that they know all the science or art of hair care, but not the mysteries and secrets of their locks when it comes to health, talent and good fortune. It's all in what you do or don't do to your hair.
There are so many hair customs and superstitions that there is bound to be one for every life event, from womb to tomb as the saying goes. Here is a list of some of them. Any of them sound familiar?
Time of Life Hair Traditions
- When a pregnant woman experiences itchiness around her belly, it means her baby will be born with a full head of hair. A word of caution to the mother: don"t scratch!
- Eating corn will give the baby long, brownish hair.
Birth and Infancy
- Don't cut the baby's hair before its first birthday, or the baby will be very sickly.
- After baby's first birthday, let someone whose traits you want the baby to emulate give the child its first haircut. This assures that the child will follow in the footsteps of its first barber.
- It is bad luck to comb and worse to cut a sleeping baby's hair.
- Don't throw away the strands from the baby's first haircut. Press them within the pages of a book to make the child intelligent. Better yet, if you want him to be a lawyer keep the locks within the pages of a book about law.
- If old folks are to be believed, a child's future is pre-destined by his hair whorl. One hair whorl is normal. But look out for the child with two hair whorls: it means that the child will be headstrong, naughty and trouble-bound. Three hair whorls make for a lucky child.
Illness, Old Age, and Death
- Do not cut the hair of a very sick or dying family member as this could hasten death.
- It's bad luck to cut your hair or shave when a family member is gravely ill or in bad health.
- If you must pluck out gray hair, don't bother to count them if you don't want any more to be added to them.
- If you pull out a gray hair, ten more will grow in its place.
- Immediate family members are not allowed to wash or cut their hair when there's a death in the family until after the burial.
- Combing one's hair after the death of a parent will make the parent's soul restless.
Hair Care Superstitions
- Sleeping with wet hair could make you go blind or turn your hair prematurely white.
- Don't wash your hair the day before an exam, because it could wash out whatever learning you've managed to store in your head.
- Washing your hair on the first day of your menstrual period could make you go mad.
- Braid, tie, or clip hair only when it is completely dry to avoid headaches.
- Washing your hair at night during a menstrual period will result in much blood loss and make you weak and sickly.
- Don't comb or brush your hair by the window on a full moon: it is an invitation to evil spirits and you may become ill.
- If you drop a comb while doing your hair, prepare for coming disappointment.
- The more often you cut your hair, the faster it grows.
- Cut your hair on Good Friday to prevent headaches.
- Cut your hair when the moon is full if you want it to grow thick and healthy.
- Cut your hair during a storm for good luck.
Misc. Hair Superstitions
Some superstitions just don't seem to fall into one category. Some of these are vaguely connected with magic and religion, but it's all pretty up to interpretation.
- A quick and easy love potion: Pluck a hair from your head, making sure to include the root, burn it, and mix the ashes into a drink for your intended beloved victim.
- Be careful how you dispose of cut hair. If an evil person gets even a strand of your hair, you could be a victim of hex.
Days of the Week
- Cut your hair on Sunday, and the devil will be with you all week.
- Cut hair on Monday, cut it for health; cut it on Tuesday, you cut for wealth.
- Easter Sunday, they say, is the best day of the year to cut your hair if you want it to grow long and healthy.
- Cut hair on Wednesday to hear good news; cut it on Thursday, get a new pair of shoes.
- Cut hair on Friday and there will be sorrow; cut it on Saturday, you'll meet your true love tomorrow.
Arkhaios on March 28, 2019:
to the people saying that things in this article aren't true: Google what SUPERSTITION means. Hope that helps. :)
Murky on February 23, 2017:
Friday's hair and Sunday's horn go to the devil on Monday morn
Nandu on March 23, 2016:
Why peoples keeps hair in front of their house while going out
ashandee on October 19, 2014:
What a jokes
happyme on October 17, 2014:
Is it okay if I cut my hair when I have a health problem? Its like a chronic illness. My hair is too long and im scared if it worsen if I cut it. Is it okay or not I need your idea on this. Thanks a lot!
monique on June 15, 2014:
Is it bad luck to cut someones hair after they have passed?
Johnd705 on May 09, 2014:
At this time it seems like Movable Type is the best blogging platform available right now. from what I've read Is that what you are using on your blog? gaaccdadgakd
Gurps on December 26, 2013:
I come from an Asian family and they make out they know everything about superstition but clearly they don't. Lol
VikG on October 29, 2013:
Thanks for the Info Friend... I don't see anyone appreciating your work here... You have been very helpful... If people don't believe in Superstition then: Why even read this article...??? Funny :-)
jma on April 27, 2013:
This stuff is so not true. I don't believe in supistion ive done all of this stuff and none of those things ever happened to me so its all bs in my opinion.
superstitions are a load of crap on May 31, 2012:
come on people...these are obviously not true!!!!! do what u want instead of listening to this rubbish pfffftttt
Crishtina on February 21, 2012:
Then tell us which day should we cut the hair,
me on February 21, 2012:
xxx Maybe your husband didn't like your haircut. Just saying.
xxx on November 12, 2011:
I believe in cut hair on friday and there will be sorrow. I am a living proof... not once, i have experienced twice.. its miserable.. i cut my hair a year ago on a friday.. i and my husband fought very badly.. i cut it again on a friday (yesterday).. again we fought.. i will never forget these 2 fights in my life.. EVER !!!!!
j*me on November 05, 2011:
im trying to find out if its ok to cut my sons hair on his first birthday or if I'm supposed to wait until its passed...anyone know?
kiku on June 18, 2010:
Hi , i heard that's its good to cut hairs on friday how come here it says that there will be sorrow?