Chika is a graduate of civil engineering from Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka Nigeria with B.eng who loves teaching, reading and writing.
Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction and maintenance of public structures like buildings, Bridges, water supply systems, roads, stadiums and sewage treatment systems. Civil engineering dates back to medieval time and this makes it the second oldest engineering.
Branches of Civil Engineering
Civil engineering are divided into different branches and those branches includes the following.
1. Structural engineering: This is a branch of civil engineering that deals with the physical structures that is resident in an environment and some of those structures include Bridges, buildings and stadiums. Is this branch of civil engineering that see to how the structures that are resident in an environment are designed, built and maintained.
2. Geotechnical engineering: This is a branch of civil engineering that deals with the soil in which a structure is meant to be built upon through the process of soil investigation and testing. In this branch of civil engineering the kind of soil needed for constructing any civil engineering project is determined. This branch of civil engineering help to provide the necessary solution to any soil that is below the standard needed for building any structure.
3. Transportation engineering: This is a branch of civil engineering that deals with Highway construction and it's maintenance. In this branch of civil engineering all the adequate design and calculations that is needed for highway construction is performed. Also in this branch of civil engineering traffic control and signals are designed to make the highway good for transportation.
4. Water engineering: This branch of civil engineering deals with the supply of water and water purification. This branch of civil engineering also has to do with management of water for consumption.
5. Environmental engineering: This branch of civil engineering deals with treatment of waste materials in an environment. It also help to provide a proper solution to the problems of waste materials in an environment. Example of the area that this branch of civil engineering is mostly applied is in the treatment of sewage systems.
Importance of Civil Engineering
The following are why civil engineering is Important to our society
1. It serves as medium of development: civil engineering has added a lot to the development of the world at large. It has helped our world to be a better place to live in because of what it offers to the environment. Many of the development like building construction, road construction, canal construction, bridge construction, construction of stadiums has added a lot of beauty to our environment making civil engineering one of the tool for modern development.
2. It has helped to raise the standard of living: civil engineering has also increased the standard of living of our modern time compare to medieval time when is still new. It is by the help of civil engineering that we have a well furnished place to live, is also by the help of civil engineering that there is a good road and railroad for transportation, is also by the help of civil engineering that we can drink a well treated water, is also by the help of civil engineering that waste are controlled in our environment.
3. It provides necessary information about soil: civil engineering helps us to know the characteristics of different soils and is by knowing this characteristics that construction of anything will be possible. Without knowing the character of a soil before constructing anything on it can cause many damages including lost of life and property. When a soil characteristics is known it will help to know the kind of structure that will fit that particular soil to avoid lost of life and property.
4. It helps in power generation: This has to do with dam and this dams is constructed by civil engineers. And is by the help of the same dam that power is generated, which means that without civil engineering it will be hard to generate electric power.
5. It helps to provide good road network: This has to do with highway engineering and is by the help of highway engineer that good road network is possible. Good road network will not be possible if there is nothing like civil engineering. And without good road network there will poor transportation.
6. It provides an opportunity to treat and control waste: civil engineering has helped us in the area of waste treatment and controlling. Civil engineering made it possible to solve the negative impacts that sewage and wastes has in our environment.
7. Good water supply: civil engineering has helped a lot in the area of water supply. Water engineering is a branch of civil engineering that deals with water supply and it's treatment and as a result of it there has been minimal problem when it comes to the supply and consumption water.
Civil engineering has played a major role for the sustainable development around our environment and this is what makes civil engineering one of the key profession we need in order for our environment to be a better place to live in.
© 2021 Chika Nwankwo